2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
So Adelina is actually going to skate outside of Russia? That's a shock.

I must be missing something. Why would it be a shock for Adelina to skate outside of Russia? She is very popular with me and my skating friends here in the US. She's the reigning Olympic Champion. How could she not be popular everywhere. As far as partying goes....Let the girl have some fun. These people complaining have no idea what it's like to spend years in a freezing rink while your friends go out and have real lives. Sounds like a bunch of jealous people to me.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fact that she's doing shows during the GP season tells you she's not really serious about competing anymore. If she was she would skate at a GP even if it's not in Russia but i don't see that happening.

moriel

Record Breaker
The fact that she's doing shows during the GP season tells you she's not really serious about competing anymore. If she was she would skate at a GP even if it's not in Russia but i don't see that happening.

Who said she is not skating at a GP event?

Amei

Record Breaker

I think its strange that a skater that has not competed internationally since 2014 will get 2 GP spots (or at least is eligible).

I agree, it perks my eyebrows up when you see skaters do shows during the season, in this case it could be easily said 'in lieu of' a competition. I get that show skating probably pays more money than skating a GP event, but if you aren't full-dedicated to competitive skating, the Fed should pull their funding or at least the higher-level of funding that skaters in Group 1 receive and give it to a skater that is dedicated to competing.

Country
Russia
After Slutskaya. Russian female skating

Time from Euro-1994 to Olympics-2006 was good for Russian Ladies.
6 skaters - Butyrskaya (born 28 Jun 1972), Markova (22 Jan 1974), Slutskaya (09 Feb 1979), Sokolova (15 Feb 1980), Soldatova (17 May 1981), Volchkova (now Butsaeva, 30 Jul 1982) got 25 Euro medals, 11 Worlds medals, two Olympic medals.
After Olympics-2006 this generation was "gone with the wind" together with Sasha Kohen, Sarah Hugnes, Shizuka Arakawa etc.

There was new winning generation - Miki Ando, Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Carolina Kostner.

And no Russians in this generation. Why?
From 1990 to about 1999 there was bad economic state for Russia, number of skaters who started (at most starting is at 4 y.o.) became much lower. Few started to skate - few highest level skaters.

Known female skaters who were born after 1982 (when Volchkova was born) to 1995 are:
Alena Leonova (23 Nov 1990), she had late progress, first good results at 16.
Ksenia Makarova (20 Dec 1992), she moved from USA.
Maria Artemieva (11 Mar 1993), I believe she is not less talented than Wagner, but unlike Wagner she has lack of motivation.
Sofia Biryukova (19 Jul 1994), she started at 7 y.o., at same time with girls born at 1996.
Polina Shelepen (28 Jul 1995).

At 2000 situation changed, and we had many promising young girls born at 1996 (and started at 2000 or so) - not only well-knowh Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva, but Agafonova, Gosviani, Korobeynikova, Ovcharova, Scheveleva, Zaseeva too.

Slutskaya retired after Olympics-2006, and started horrible (with respect to previous period) time for Russian Ladies.
At Junior level this period started earlier, no medals of JrWorlds at 2002-2008.

Worlds-2006 - places 4, 19, 26 (not qualified to FS), only 2 spots to next Worlds.

Euro-2007 - places 7, 11, 28 (not qualified to FS at Euro! what a shame), only 2 spots to next Euro.
Worlds-2007 - places 13 and 16, only 1 spot to next Worlds.

Euro-2008 - places 9 and 17.
Worlds-2008 - place 17.

Euro-2009 - places 4 (Leonova) and 6, earned 3 spots at next Euro.
Worlds-2009 - Place 7 (Leonova). earned 2 spots at next Worlds.
That season were also other signs that situation becomes better.
Leonova won JrWorlds.
Two 12 years old girls Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva won Senior Nationals (1 and 2 places).
Three 10 years old girls at National level competition (Zhuk Memorial younger age) - Radionova 1st, Pogorilaya 2nd, Lipnitskaia with excellent flexibility and spins 6th. It meant not so much (most of so young skaters retire before moving to Senior level) but now we know who they are and may treat this success as The Sign.

JGP-2009 - three Finalists (Shelepen 2, Makarova 4, Ovcharova 5) after no Russian girls qualified to JGP Final at 2006-2008.
At JrWorlds-2010 Agafonova was 3rd, Shelepen 4th, Ovcharova 5th.
GP-2009 Final - Leonova 6th.
Euro-2010 - places 7, 9, 13. Two spots to next Euro. In fact Russia did not need more - only Leonova and Makarova were at good International level.
Olympics-2010 - places 9, 10.
Worlds-2010 - places 8, 13.

Season 2010/2011 Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva became age eligible to International Junior competitions.
JGP-2010 - three Finalists (1 Sotnikova, 2 Tuktamysheva, 5 Shelepen).
JrWorlds-2011 - Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva won 1 and 2 places, Shelepen 7th.
Euro-2011 - places 4 and 5 (Makarova, Leonova), earned 3 spots to next Euro.
Worlds-2011 - places 4 and 7 (Leonova, Makarova), earned 3 spots to next Worlds.

Season 2011/2012 Lipnitskaia became age eligible to International Junior competitions.
JGP-2011 Final - Lipnitskaia 1, Shelepen 2, Korobeynikova 3.
YOG-2012 - Tuktamysheva 1, Sotnikova 2.
JrWorlds-2012 - Lipnitskaia 1, Sotnikova 3, Shelepen 6.
GP-2011 Final - Leonova 3, Tuktamysheva 4.
Euro-2012 - Korobeynikova 4 (her only Senior success), Makarova 6, Leonova 7.
Worlds-2012 - Leonova 2, Makarova 9, Korobeynikova 19.

Season 2012/2013 - international debut of Radionova and Pogorilaya, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva age eligible to Senior Championships.
JGP-2012 Final - Radionova 1, Pogorilaya 3.
JrWorlds-2013 - Radionova 1, Lipnitskaia 2, Pogorilaya 3.
GP-2012 Final - Tuktamysheva 5.
Euro-2013 - Sotnikova 2, Tuktamysheva 3, Gosviani 6.
Worlds-2013 - Sotnikova 9, Tuktamysheva 10, Leonova 13. Only two spots to Olympics and next Worlds.

Season 2013/2014 - Lipnitskaia age eligible to Senior Championships.
JGP-2013 Final - Sotskova 1, Sakhanovich 2, Medvedeva 3, Proklova 5 (all at their 1st Junior season)
JrWorlds-2014 - Radionova 1, Sakhanovich 2, Medvedeva 3. Sotskova qualified to JrWorlds, but WD by injury, Medvedeva substituted her.
GP-2013 Final - Lipnitskaia 2, Radionova 4, Sotnikova 5, Pogorilaya 6.
Euro-2014 - Lipnitskaia 1, Sotnikova 2, Leonova 4.
Olympics-2014 Team - Lipnitskaia won both SP and FS.
Olympics-2014 Individual - Sotnikova 1, Lipnitskaia 5.
Worlds-2014 - Lipnitskaia 2, Pogorilaya 4, earned 3 spots to next Worlds.

JGP-2014 Final - Medvedeva 1, Sakhanovich 2, Sotskova 4.
JrWorlds-2015 - Medvedeva 1, Sakhanovich 2, Sotskova 5. It was not so easy season for Sotskova - she became much taller.
GP-2014 Final - Tuktamysheva 1, Radionova 2, Pogorilaya 4, Lipnitskaia 5.
Euro-2015 - Tuktamysheva 1, Radionova 2, Pogorilaya 3.
Worlds-2015 - Tuktamysheva 1, Radionova 3, Pogorilaya 13 (not fully restore after injury).

JGP-2015 Final - Tsurskaya 1, Sotskova 2, Fedichkina 4. First Junior Season for Tsurskaya and Fedichkina.
JrWorlds-2016 - Sotskova 2. Tsurskaya and Fedichkina WD because of injury.
GP-2015 Final - Medvedeva 1, Radionova 3.
Euro-2016 - Medvedeva 1, Radionova 2, Pogorilaya 3.
Worlds-2016 - Medvedeva 1, Pogorilaya 3, Radionova 6.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Someone explain: what is the relation between Yulia and Lambiel? Is he her coach now? I saw pictures on Instagram of them together, and one picture particularly puzzling (https://www.instagram.com/p/BFOW2zrELbq/?taken-by=sunnylipnitskaya). There are comments of him being her choreographer. Anyone knows what it is exactly?

Why is the picture puzzling? (It's a beautiful photo - both looking good. :thumbsup: ) FWIW, there were similar pictures with Liza last year when he was doing choreo for her.

Manitou

Medalist
Why is the picture puzzling? (It's a beautiful photo - both looking good. :thumbsup: ) FWIW, there were similar pictures with Liza last year when he was doing choreo for her.

So I understand he is her choreographer now. Thanks.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
I think its strange that a skater that has not competed internationally since 2014 will get 2 GP spots (or at least is eligible).

I agree, it perks my eyebrows up when you see skaters do shows during the season, in this case it could be easily said 'in lieu of' a competition. I get that show skating probably pays more money than skating a GP event, but if you aren't full-dedicated to competitive skating, the Fed should pull their funding or at least the higher-level of funding that skaters in Group 1 receive and give it to a skater that is dedicated to competing.
But she competed internationally. She did one GP event last season.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I often wonder, if we're witnessing the biggest baby-boom in sports history right now?

Parents storming "Khrustalnyi" rink to enlist their children to Julia Lipnitskaya's school after Sochi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGY7gJWW4o
The invasion continues in gyms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKim8c6_QGE
and on the ice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL813Y4wgKc :yay:

It's reaching epidemic proportions. Quick! Run for your life.

Hm... Those choreography lessons looks serious, amazing flexibility and coordinations of these little ladies. http://youtu.be/8djGj8SX0nE

boskil

Match Penalty
It's reaching epidemic proportions. Quick! Run for your life.

Hm... Those choreography lessons looks serious, amazing flexibility and coordinations of these little ladies. http://youtu.be/8djGj8SX0nE
I've read some top skater's interview (Medvedeva?) recently, where she said she understood figure skating is her job around the age of 10.
I've seen a video of 5yo girl crying after making mistake in tourney's skate - local TV reporter recording a piece about the tournament approached her and her mom, asking "why are you crying?".
She screamed through the tears: "I WANTED TO WIN!". :laugh:

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think what is happening now is that Russian coaches have prepared their skaters well to peak around 15-17. None of the skaters have yet proved to have the longevity of Slutskaya or Butyrskaya. From 1998-2005 Russia won 10 medals but only four skaters won those (and only two won more than a single medal). Since 2012 Russian women have won 6 world medals but none have won more than one.

boskil

Match Penalty
I think what is happening now is that Russian coaches have prepared their skaters well to peak around 15-17. None of the skaters have yet proved to have the longevity of Slutskaya or Butyrskaya. From 1998-2005 Russia won 10 medals but only four skaters won those (and only two won more than a single medal). Since 2012 Russian women have won 6 world medals but none have won more than one.
It's been two years since senior domination began, too early to draw conclusions imo.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've read some top skater's interview (Medvedeva?) recently, where she said she understood figure skating is her job around the age of 10.
I've seen a video of 5yo girl crying after making mistake in tourney's skate - local TV reporter recording a piece about the tournament approached her and her mom, asking "why are you crying?".
She screamed through the tears: "I WANTED TO WIN!". :laugh:

Competition in Russia's ladies field is not for a faint of heart. ;)

They learn to compete from the very young age. As far as I know there no medals for the 4th (or the last) place in Russia.

It's the Russian guys who are getting soft. :) Most young guys in Russia dream to be a hockey player, like Ovi. :)

Last edited: