2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. When do tickets go on sale?? My credit card is ready. Max...........I'll see you in 2018 and I hope to get your autograph.

I'm sure he'll be delighted to give it to you, along with one of his charming smiles and his warm eyes. Stay strong, mrrice! ;)

Hmm...I did wish I had the time to see more of California when I was there....

...but on the flip side, a) expensive and b) no-one wants to see my ugly crying if something bad happens. And I would, too. I would be inconsolable...

San Jose will be home ice for Polina, won't it? Are there any other prominent skaters from that region?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
...but on the flip side, a) expensive and b) no-one wants to see my ugly crying if something bad happens. And I would, too. I would be inconsolable...

<-- sat two rows in front of karne at Worlds during Kalani's SP... :drama:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
New years eve in San Francisco will be very busy. Hotels will be easier to find in cities like Morgan Hill and Los Gatos. The Amusement Park Great America is located very close to the San Jose Airport and they have a huge Marriott Hotel as well a couple of others, right next to the park. With the opening of Levi Stadium ( Where the 49ers play ) there have been several new hotels added to the area and I'd suggest that you check with Trivago guy.....;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcwhBya2FyM

I would be surprised if they didnt have official hotels at official higher or lower rates for the event. That is probably one reason they got it. They , the LOC, could make the USFS a sweet deal as they knew the hotels can basically charge whatever they want and they would get a kickback for the event.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
They won't based on the dates. It's only a week long -- Dec. 29 and Jan. 7.

As for me: Trying to see if I can blend this with a trip to Hawaii, which I had been looking into prior to this announcement.

Cooincidence: If Detroit got this event, I was going to cruise to Hawaii instead. Dec 29 is a Friday, No? That means the event is 10 days. Pleanty of time for Mens and Pairs on the first weekend....if that is true, the local hotels will make out like bandits. Part of this period is a slow time for them...they might end up grounding us there for 10 or 11 days at $230-300 a day. This well could be my last Olympic trials so I am going...hang the cost!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
San Jose will be home ice for Polina, won't it? Are there any other prominent skaters from that region?

Not an exhaustive list, but a few more from the region who would be expected to compete at 2018 Nats:

- Karen Chen, Vincent Zhou, Ellie Pogrebinsky

- Also: Jeffrey Chen (Karen's brother), Anthony Ponomarenko, Alice Yang, Nina Ouellette, Alysa Liu​

Not surprisingly, USFS is showcasing Polina in particular :cool:.
She was at yesterday's press conference, where she was mentioned by the mayor and Peggy Fleming. (And perhaps by others ... I already have forgotten exactly :hopelessness:.)

As for prominent former skaters (although I don't think that was your question ;)): Yamaguchi, Fleming, Boitano, and Galindo all are honorary co-chairs for the event.

ETA:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. When do tickets go on sale?? My credit card is ready. Max...........I'll see you in 2018 and I hope to get your autograph.

I'm sure he'll be delighted to give it to you, along with one of his charming smiles and his warm eyes. ...

Go, mrrice :dance2:. And go, Max :yay:.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Y'all should just find an Airbnb in San Francisco and take the Caltrain down to San Jose.

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Dec 29 is a Friday, No? That means the event is 10 days. Pleanty of time for Mens and Pairs on the first weekend....if that is true, the local hotels will make out like bandits. Part of this period is a slow time for them...they might end up grounding us there for 10 or 11 days at $230-300 a day. This well could be my last Olympic trials so I am going...hang the cost!

The press release states that the championship level events are Jan 4-7. It will all be on the final weekend.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Y'all should just find an Airbnb in San Francisco and take the Caltrain down to San Jose.

This is a good idea. I just went to Great America in Santa Clara, ca. a couple of weeks ago and we stayed about 20 minutes away in a town called "Burlingame" We didn't know it before we went but, there were several people at our Hotel who took the Caltrain to Great America as it stops right by Levi Stadium. Levi Stadium and Great America, share the same parking lot. Had we taken the train we would have avoided tons of traffic. I would suggest checking the Caltrain schedule as it runs quite late into the evening and could be very good alternative to driving.

Here's a working link to the Caltrain schedule http://www.caltrain.com/schedules/weekdaytimetable.html

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist

You'll do just fine on the Max front, mrrice! I crossed paths with him at my local rink early in the summer and got a selfie and a nice friendly little hug :luv17: Sadly, I've since had to wash the sweatshirt I was wearing :laugh:

noskates

Record Breaker

San Jose is 'home" for Polina but the only time she's skated at SAP was for SOI and 2012 Nationals. There are other skaters from the Bay Area but I'm not sure any of them are prominent.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I called the Arena Hotel and for an extended stay, the rate is $110. Normally it is $145. Booked one room with hot tub and all you can eat breakfast (read BACON!)
They are only booking through the hotel number right now....cancelation policy is 24 hours....
Let the party begin! Only 16 months to go....gotta hurry....there are Official GS credentials to design....

Hint hint: If you are even THINKING of going, I would reserve a room soon...you can always cancel....
Chris who hasnt seen Frisco since 1959

anyanka

Record Breaker
I wonder if they're also starting early because the team event will be included for 2018? If so, then that means with the games starting on Feb 9, if they followed the Sochi schedule, team skating starts the day before, and waiting until the third week of January is too little time to prepare, get everyone flights and coordinate?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I called the Arena Hotel and for an extended stay, the rate is $110. Normally it is $145. Booked one room with hot tub and all you can eat breakfast (read BACON!)
They are only booking through the hotel number right now....cancelation policy is 24 hours....
Let the party begin! Only 16 months to go....gotta hurry....there are Official GS credentials to design....

Hint hint: If you are even THINKING of going, I would reserve a room soon...you can always cancel....
Chris who hasnt seen Frisco since 1959

Thx for the heads up. Booked my room thru the hotel. -- 5 night stay, dbl occupany with AAA discount was $155. Hot buffet breakfast included. As you stated, couldn't do it thru toll free numbers.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
My friend and I booked our room this morning at the Arena Hotel. It's only about 3 long blocks to walk to the arena - not bad if it isn't raining. The breakfast is 'okay'! Nothing special. In 2012 Chris we had the room with the hot tub. It's like being in the rain forest when you use it.

May get to meet some of you fine folks! :agree:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder if they're also starting early because the team event will be included for 2018? If so, then that means with the games starting on Feb 9, if they followed the Sochi schedule, team skating starts the day before, and waiting until the third week of January is too little time to prepare, get everyone flights and coordinate?

Yes, the Olympic team figure skating event is happening again in 2018, if that was your first question.

The ISU document re the qualification system for 2018 Olympic figure skating was published a while back, and it includes a full discussion of the team figure skating event.
(As did the same document in 2014.)

I don't know the schedule for 2018 team figure skating, but I think you likely are correct that it once again will start before the opening ceremony.

You'll do just fine on the Max front, mrrice! I crossed paths with him at my local rink early in the summer and got a selfie and a nice friendly little hug :luv17: Sadly, I've since had to wash the sweatshirt I was wearing :laugh:

Lucky you :) ... even if you eventually had to wash the sweatshirt :laugh:. Max is such a mensch :cool:.

Karen Chen is from the Bay Area, too!

:agree: And others as I listed above ... for me, I was casting a wide net for "prominent." As in "prominent" enough to have represented the U.S. internationally, to have won any (non-senior) U.S. title, or even "just" to have qualified for Nationals at any level.
[But I understand that others might have a higher bar.]

Anyway, I hope that the choice of San Jose is exciting for them, and that they will have some extra hometown support in the arena :yay:.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

Alright, I'm booked at Arena too — 12 nights! :coffee:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My friend and I booked our room this morning at the Arena Hotel. It's only about 3 long blocks to walk to the arena - not bad if it isn't raining. The breakfast is 'okay'! Nothing special. In 2012 Chris we had the room with the hot tub. It's like being in the rain forest when you use it.

May get to meet some of you fine folks! :agree:

Arent those hot tubs great? And you can just sit in them and self medicate. (For me, who has a big breakfast while eventing, a well stocked breakfast buffet is just what I need...no time wasted...just walk in, fill up, off to the arena to watch the gladiators. Wonder where they will stick the novices? The arena is 1200 ft from the hotel, past a whole foods market, which is really nice to have for sundries....cant remember if it has alchohol. Anyone? There is a CVS pharmacy on the other side of the hotel, and a Chipolte Mexican Eatery two blocks west.
noskates is now head of the meet and greet committee.
True story. When I checked in for 2012, the person at the desk asked me if there was an old people's convention in town....
Well,. kinda....