State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 39 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Vivian Le skated in Southwestern Pacific regional this year, so her sectional would be Pacific and not Midwestern. Also, I think I've read that qualification rules have changed this year about the effect of sectional byes. For example: Caroline Zhang already had a bye, so her placing 1st in regionals had no effect on qualifiers; the 5th-place skater also would qualify for sectionals.

Southwestern Regionals is where Viv was last year, Southwest Pacific Regionals is where she competes this year due to change of coach.

As a f/u to another post, I do not think she imploded yesterday (the only goal at Regionals is to qualify for Sectionals), I have watched her for a long time, she is reinventing herself by going back to the basics and whenever an athlete does this they have to be patient and work within themselves otherwise they will not have long term success. The winner of the world long distance driving contest will never win a PGA major and it looks like Vivian figured this out - having the biggest jumps does not translate into winning figure skating championships. Great job Vivian, I look forward to seeing you continue to develop as an all around figure skater and getting back to that podium!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is the qualification rule; perhaps doesn't apply to Zhang because I don't think she is a Team USA skater:

QUALIFYING FOR U.S. F.S. SECTIONALS

USFS Rule 2470 Qualifying for Sectional Championships – Singles/Pairs/Dance

2471 Singles competitors qualify for sectional championships by:

A. Placing in the top four at a regional championship.

*NEW* B. For junior and senior events, any Team USA skater who has been assigned to an international competition, regardless of whether it conflicts with their regional championship:
Said skater would have the choice to compete at their regional championship but would not lose their bye to the sectional championship regardless of placement, nor displace a skater who might place in the top four at regionals if said skater was not entered.

C. Having four or fewer entries in their event at a regional championship or having 12 or fewer entries in their event in all regional championships within their section

frida80

Record Breaker
This is the qualification rule; perhaps doesn't apply to Zhang because I don't think she is a Team USA skater:

QUALIFYING FOR U.S. F.S. SECTIONALS

USFS Rule 2470 Qualifying for Sectional Championships – Singles/Pairs/Dance

2471 Singles competitors qualify for sectional championships by:

A. Placing in the top four at a regional championship.

*NEW* B. For junior and senior events, any Team USA skater who has been assigned to an international competition, regardless of whether it conflicts with their regional championship:
Said skater would have the choice to compete at their regional championship but would not lose their bye to the sectional championship regardless of placement, nor displace a skater who might place in the top four at regionals if said skater was not entered.

C. Having four or fewer entries in their event at a regional championship or having 12 or fewer entries in their event in all regional championships within their section

Caroline is on Team USA. She's in the international selection pool. But she hasn't been assigned a competition. I guess they won't until she proves herself. I think she's on her way. Meanwhile she can focus on Sectionals.

louisa05

Final Flight
I think Gracie is the victim of overhyping. Before she ever competed as a senior, she was tabbed as the next great American skater. She was being hyped as the absolute certain 2014 Olympic gold medalist. Much was made of the youtube videos of her jumps (which her family should have never posted) and her last name--as if no one with the last name Gold could do anything but win gold. She was the only thing anyone was talking about. I remember fans clamoring for her to be sent to Senior Worlds in 2012 when she had not competed in a single senior competition--not even at Nationals.

When she won silver in Omaha in 2013 at her first senior Nats, the hype just grew.

And she has not been able to live up to it and the disappointment of the fans who created it all in the first place is now unnecessary vitriol against her.

It is not fair to her. But it is a good lesson as to why "wait and see" is the best approach when it comes to talented junior skaters.

Before she ever competed as a senior, she was tabbed as the next great American skater. She was being hyped as the absolute certain 2014 Olympic gold medalist.

I think it wasn't so much that she was guaranteed an Olympic medal. I think it was more like, USA hasn't had a contender for years, Gracie looked like the only (desperate) hope on the horizon.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I get the sense that Gracie, like Sasha, enjoys the celebrity, enjoys training and enjoys being in the mix for big titles, but doesn't like competing all that much. It might be that she and Ashley are in very different situations; when Ashley makes a mistake, she knows that she needs to go back to train harder the element she made an error on. For example, when she missed the closing lutz in her Nationals LP, her coach said it was because she didn't train it hard enough. She then nailed the jump at Worlds. With Gracie, none of her errors are from being undertrained or having to overcome poor technique so, as a coach, I don't know how one would help her improve after a disappointing performance.

(and Starr Andrews)

How time flies! Is Starr Andrews a competitive junior now?

I think she still holds the all-time record for most watched You Tube skating video. "Whip My Hair" (age nine) has more than 42 million views. :)

(Maybe some of Hanyu's performances have more?)

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Why is Gracie putting so much make-up? Her face looks so white. She looks like a ghost. She is so beautiful, she really does not need so much makeup. Her hair also looks overused of dye. I am sorry to be negative but I don't think white dress works on her either. TBH, she seems like she has gained some weight and white accentuates that. I wish she could look and act in a more natural way. What do you guys think of Gracie's packaging and look?

I think she just never changed her foundation and got a slight tan over the summer which is why her face and neck don't match, it's the same reason why a skater's illusion mesh doesn't always match, I don't think she's wearing anymore make up than she usually does. I don't care for her polished, princess look much, I think Gracie looks best when she's styled like All That Jazz or Shake it Off, looks more natural. I never understood why they always go for the princess vibe, Gracie seems like a cute/peppy type with a little flirt mixed in, as exhibited in Shake It Off. I know Ashley is the queen of professional ponytail whipping but I think Gracie looks much more like herself with a ponytail.

And I think Gracie will bounce back at Skate America, she tends to flop and then come back at the next competition, it's not like she ever gave a good performance at Japan Open.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How time flies! Is Starr Andrews a competitive junior now?

I think she still holds the all-time record for most watched You Tube skating video. "Whip My Hair" (age nine) has more than 42 million views. :)

(Maybe some of Hanyu's performances have more?)

Yes! She did really well at U.S. Challenge Skate (winning the junior portion) and got on the international selection pool. She has a nice 3T-3T!

From Glacier Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcH6LaZ8JuY
(Bonus: Watch Douglas Razzano, who is now a coach (not Starr's), count Starr's rotations during her camel spin and nodding approvingly when she does the required amount!)

Derrick Delmore is her coach.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is Gracie putting so much make-up? Her face looks so white. She looks like a ghost. She is so beautiful, she really does not need so much makeup. Her hair also looks overused of dye. I am sorry to be negative but I don't think white dress works on her either. TBH, she seems like she has gained some weight and white accentuates that. I wish she could look and act in a more natural way. What do you guys think of Gracie's packaging and look?

I thought Gracie looked fine. I liked the white dress. It reminded me of some of Michelle Kwan's dresses. More concerning was Gracie's skating. But when she hits her jumps, they are textbook (well, maybe not the flip). I would hate to see Gracie end her career as someone with unrealized potential.

louisa05

Final Flight
I thought Gracie looked fine. I liked the white dress. It reminded me of some of Michelle Kwan's dresses. More concerning was Gracie's skating. But when she hits her jumps, they are textbook (well, maybe not the flip). I would hate to see Gracie end her career as someone with unrealized potential.

Hate the white dress. But not because there is anything wrong with it.

I'm taking my mom to Nationals in KC for the ladies and men's free skates. She has some vision impairment and she cannot see a skater in all white very well, she loses them on the white of the ice.

So no white dresses for the LP this year, girls, please??????

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I really like Starr, started watching her several years ago when she placed 4th at Juv level at Nationals, she has progressed nicely moving up a level every year since and continues to be someone to watch at the Junior level. She has some SS issues that need to be addressed but she is a true performer and a fighter!

Layback11

Record Breaker
If Vivian doesn't end up at the JGP, I'm crossing my fingers she uses the time before nationals to prepare and comes out and SLAYS senior Nationals.

(In 2015, the senior, junior and novice champions from 2012, three years earlier, were on the podium in that order. It's been my weird dream ever since I realized that that the 2017 podium ends up the same way, with the S/J/N champs from three years ago in that order...which would be Gracie, Amber Glenn and Vivian. I would die of joy if that happened :dbana:)

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Awsome connection of the dots, I don't think I would have ever been able to put that one together. Thanks for sharing! I can see at least 1 of those young ladies on the podium in January :)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
If Vivian doesn't end up at the JGP, I'm crossing my fingers she uses the time before nationals to prepare and comes out and SLAYS senior Nationals.

(In 2015, the senior, junior and novice champions from 2012, three years earlier, were on the podium in that order. It's been my weird dream ever since I realized that that the 2017 podium ends up the same way, with the S/J/N champs from three years ago in that order...which would be Gracie, Amber Glenn and Vivian. I would die of joy if that happened :dbana:)

At this point I honestly would rather her not go to Germany so she really has the time to prepare for Sectionals/Nationals.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Giang (senior in U.S.) and Nakahara (junior) are out, I think, cause they were at regionals with Vivian Le. They have assigned Ashley Kim (and Starr Andrews) to another junior event in Europe later this month, so I don't see her going either.

I could see them sending Haley Beavers since she had to WD from her original event. Or I could also see them sending Ashley Lin for a second event since she did better than the rest (as sad as that result was relatively to the competition).

Oooh so glad Ashley Kim gets an international event after having to withdraw from her JGP. And Starr gets her first international! Also, looks like Kaitlyn Nguyen is assigned to the same event in the Novice category (due to age rules, she can't do Junior). This should be fun. Not used to USAG sending that many (two other Novice level ladies too) to a fall event.

I would be in favor of Ashley Lin getting a second event. Also, I think Paige Rydberg would probably be out. She competed Senior at the US International Classic so I think she's probably focusing on Senior at this point.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This should be fun. Not used to USAG sending that many (two other Novice level ladies too) to a fall event.

I think it's great! And this gives both Ashley and Starr a chance to get those much desired Jr. Worlds TES minimums. I get the feeling that the Jr. World team may not be determined in the senior ranks, even though there are several age eligible folks. Vivian Le is the only one I see them choosing, giving room for the junior champ.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I think it's great! And this gives both Ashley and Starr a chance to get those much desired Jr. Worlds TES minimums. I get the feeling that the Jr. World team may not be determined in the senior ranks, even though there are several age eligible folks. Vivian Le is the only one I see them choosing, giving room for the junior champ.

I hope it's a sign that USFS realized they need to get more ladies more experience. It's hard with having to fly overseas for most events, but hopefully it'll be helpful.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Awsome connection of the dots, I don't think I would have ever been able to put that one together. Thanks for sharing! I can see at least 1 of those young ladies on the podium in January :)
Haha, thanks! :laugh: I like to look for patterns, even if they don't mean anything (aside from sheer, dumb luck). I think I was looking at the Wikipedia page for 2012 Nationals when I figured that out. There was a panel on the side that listed the champions at each level, and it just so happened that the S/N/J champions were the 2015 medalists in descending order.

(I don't think it really means anything, though; if the S/N/J champions-from-three-years-ago thing had happened last year, it would've been Ashley/Polina/Tyler Pierce. Polina's place was correct, and Ashley was on the podium, but it didn't actually work. :laugh:)