Javier Fernandez | Page 136 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Here's a possibility to buy tics plus a bit more info - including the musical guests (who, perhaps not surprisingly?, include Henry Mendez...): https://www.marcaentradas.com/eventos/ficha/3124-entradas-revolution-ice-madrid (they could have chosen a better picture of him for the poster...)

And an educational (ahem...) video with Javi on skating jumps: http://videos.telva.com/v/0_ke3f23j...s-del-patinaje?uetv_pl=estilo-de-vida&count=0

This is now then the time to do all the extra-curricular stuff - he has just a lot of positive vibe going for him! Next season they should be concentrating on the big OG...

E

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
That is good thing when skaters from different countries promote such a good sport like Figure Skating. Good work, Javi! :agree:

honghe

On the Ice
Thank you evergreen for double checking about the rehearsal photo. And thank you eppen for the information about the show.

Well that seems like a good way to educate people:laugh: I'm not distracted. Not at all. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

You guys... I mean I've always known this season and next season are probably Javi's last seasons as a competitor... but still... A skater's competitive career is short compare to athletes in a lot of other sports.
I wish these seasons go well for Javi and whatever the results will be, he has enough reason to be happy whenever he looks back.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
A bit more about Javi's book. I found this part particularly interesting since I had never heard him reveal much about his time following Morozov around.
Spoiler warning for those who want to read it :biggrin:

The months in Russia were tough but they made him a stronger skater and person. But on the first day he felt lost, he didn’t know what he was doing there, if it was even worth it. He couldn’t see the positive side on being there. But at least he knew his sports career was on the right path, his doubts were not related to skating.

He also felt quite lonely, and he couldn’t understand why since he had gotten used to living by himself in NJ. But he pulled through thinking that it was all for the sake of his skating. He only stayed half a year in Moscow, but the day to day was exhausting, he felt his spirit grew old in there.

The food was quite bad in that place. During his free time, his PS2 was his best companion though he also liked to hang out with the rest of Morozov’s students. They were a very tight group and they even went out to see the city sometimes. But they didn’t socialize with the locals too much because of language barriers. He talked about the “doorman” of the complex: Valeri. An intimidating guy who greeted them everyday, but without any warmth, that wasn’t his duty anyway. And he never remembered either his face or his friends’.

One night, after drinking over their limit, Ivan set his eyes on the wrong girl and they ended outside the local where they were drinking with 4 tall, strong, Russian guys in front of them. He tried to negotiate without use. The fight was about to break when Ivan shouted “Figure skating!” in Russian, and they left them alone. Ivan explained it was written all over the complex and that Valeri told him the meaning :)

evergreen

On the Ice
A bit more about Javi's book. I found this part particularly interesting since I had never heard him reveal much about his time following Morozov around.

Thank you again, xibsuarz, for sharing Javi's story with us.

IIRC, Javi mentioned when he trained in Moscow, the winter was so long and cold, he and his teammates stayed in a huge complex building without stepping outdoor for months; I guess the building he lived may be annexed to an ice rink? he also said Russian soup is good.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Thank you again, xibsuarz, for sharing Javi's story with us.

IIRC, Javi mentioned when he trained in Moscow, the winter was so long and cold, he and his teammates stayed in a huge complex building without stepping outdoor for months; I guess the building he lived may be annexed to an ice rink? he also said Russian soup is good.

You're very welcome evergreen :biggrin: Although all of us know quite a lot already about Javi's skating journey, I've always found the little details he reveals here and there quite interesting.
Yeah, from what I understood, the rink was within the same complex they lived in. That's why the words "figure skating" were written all over the place.

evergreen

On the Ice
You're very welcome evergreen :biggrin: Although all of us know quite a lot already about Javi's skating journey, I've always found the little details he reveals here and there quite interesting.
Yeah, from what I understood, the rink was within the same complex they lived in. That's why the words "figure skating" were written all over the place.

Yes, Javi's stories are very interesting, if only he did not spent most of his leisure time playing video games, he may have more adventures to tell us :biggrin: but it seems the play stations are his best companion away from home, without the games, he may not tolerate the life aboard.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Well that seems like a good way to educate people:laugh: I'm not distracted. Not at all. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

So, did you learn anything other than indulging in his Eyelashes?:p

Anyway, nice cinematography & editing; the footage of his big jumps in Boston in slow motion looks like some of classic dance scenes Hollywood's iconic old movies, light, airy, stylish and graceful.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
One night, after drinking over their limit, Ivan set his eyes on the wrong girl and they ended outside the local where they were drinking with 4 tall, strong, Russian guys in front of them. He tried to negotiate without use. The fight was about to break when Ivan shouted “Figure skating!” in Russian, and they left them alone. Ivan explained it was written all over the complex and that Valeri told him the meaning :)

"figure skating!" universal language :laugh::biggrin:
thanks xibsuarz :thank:

agataquiroga

Rinkside
Was the puddle as glaring in the arena as it seemed to us?

I wasn't there, but I definitely think that THAT was the main reason why he was a little surprised and couldn't jump well...If you look at his face when he turns to face the board, and the pond, you could see that something wasn't working....that's my theory:think:

evergreen

On the Ice
I wasn't there, but I definitely think that THAT was the main reason why he was a little surprised and couldn't jump well...If you look at his face when he turns to face the board, and the pond, you could see that something wasn't working....that's my theory :think:

I noticed he lost a bit balance on the takeoff edge, perhaps he was distracted by the wet patch, or the ice in that area became soft (Mura fall at the same place jumping his last 3 lutz), plus he was tired, his pant must be soaked after the fall.

In Boston, there was also a large puddle in front of judge, luckily Javi was able to hang on with all his jumps and delivered the best skate of his life.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
And even I know it is something like "figurnoe katanie" in Russian...

I know "figure skater" is 'figurista' :biggrin: And I know that figure skating in Czech is 'Krasobrusleni", in French 'patinaje artistique', in Spanish 'patinaje artistico', in Italia 'Pattinaggio artistico' (Romanian languages are similiar, easy to remember), so maybe it really is universal language :laugh:

Does Ivan mean Ivan Righini? I thought he knew Russian? :confused: Or is it someone else?

agataquiroga

Rinkside
So, finally yesterday was annouced the new super show of Javi in Madrid Spain, on 29 December. Good Spanish singers will be there, but what's more important the skaters which have confirmed their assistance are:

Javi:hap10:
Best skaters of Spanish Federation (I assume Adria / Olivia, Sara/ Kirirl, Luis / Celia, & Javi Raya will be there)
Shawn Sawyer (Canada)
Kiira Korpi
Madison Hubbell-Zachary Donohue
Miki Ando
Anna Cappellini - Luca Lanotte
Evgenia Medvedeva
Meagan Duhamel-Eric Radford
Misha Ge:yahoo:
and it seems there are still some to be announced....

It has very good prices :hap85: and the announcement also says that several TVs have asked for its broadcasting. The capacity is 10,500 and the funny thing is that it's going to be done in a bull fighting ring

So if anybody is interested, here is the tickets website:
https://www.marcaentradas.com/eventos/ficha/3124-entradas-revolution-ice-madrid

honghe

On the Ice
So, did you learn anything other than indulging in his Eyelashes?:p
Well... his arms are not bad, either :laugh2:

Speaking of falling into the puddle... I vaguely recall there was once a show or a gala in which Javi performed the SuperJavi program. As usual someone poured a bucket of water over him. IIRC, one of the guys who skated after him had a fall into that puddle of water:drama: and the back of the costume got wet...

Regarding the show: I assume the Spanish skaters training abroad would be back in Spain for Nationals in mid December and stay there until New Year? So hopefully they could all perform. I would especially love to see video clips of Sara and Kirill, since we know so very little about them right now.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I know "figure skater" is 'figurista' :biggrin: And I know that figure skating in Czech is 'Krasobrusleni", in French 'patinaje artistique', in Spanish 'patinaje artistico', in Italia 'Pattinaggio artistico' (Romanian languages are similiar, easy to remember), so maybe it really is universal language :laugh:

Does Ivan mean Ivan Righini? I thought he knew Russian? :confused: Or is it someone else?

As far as I know, he did mean Ivan Righini. Perhaps he didn't know much Russian back then? Javi was 18-19 at the time, so it was like 6 years ago.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
As far as I know, he did mean Ivan Raghini. Perhaps he didn't know much Russian back then? Javi was 18-19 at the time, so it was like 6 years ago.

Yeah, but Ivan was born in Russia and even represented Russia for some time, before he swicthed to Italy, so I would assume he has always spoken Russian well.... Well, doesn't matter, that's just my curiosity :) Thank you for translations :thank:

honghe

On the Ice
As far as I know, he did mean Ivan Raghini. Perhaps he didn't know much Russian back then? Javi was 18-19 at the time, so it was like 6 years ago.

I am also trying to read the book, although trying to read Spanish with only my (not very good) reading knowledge of Italian is difficult and I could only figure out some of things here and there:palmf: (So thank you so much for providing information about the book, xibsuarz. It helps a lot!)

If I am not mistaken, when talking about this incident the book only mentions "Ivan" without a surname, so it's difficult to know for sure... As far as I know Righini went back to Russia when he was about six years old so I guess he at least could speak some Russian, given that he trained in and represented Russia for years when he was younger.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's someone else... I also wouldn't be surprised if names got mixed up during the writing/compiling/editing process and the proofreader did not catch all the mistakes. From what I have read, I think there is at least one place where the editor/proofreader confused Tracy Wilson with David Wilson, and another place where the FS placement at a competition was mistaken for the SP placement... The book is still interesting and I am not trying to blame anyone, since it's very difficult to catch all the mistakes, especially if the proofreader is not very familiar with figure skating. TBH, I know that even in academia, after tons of revising by the author and having the manuscript read by multiple people in the same field, it's still not uncommon for books to be published with mistakes that are only found out later...

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Well... his arms are not bad, either :laugh2:

he has beautiful lean muscular body:love: he sometimes joked about how petite figures of these young up comers are, "they are half my size", as matter of fact, he is not big at all;)

Speaking of falling into the puddle... I vaguely recall there was once a show or a gala in which Javi performed the SuperJavi program. As usual someone poured a bucket of water over him. IIRC, one of the guys who skated after him had a fall into that puddle of water:drama: and the back of the costume got wet...

That was very funny, he should definitely blame Javi for this:laugh:

Regarding the show: I assume the Spanish skaters training abroad would be back in Spain for Nationals in mid December and stay there until New Year? So hopefully they could all perform. I would especially love to see video clips of Sara and Kirill, since we know so very little about them right now.

Yes, I am longing to see whether Sara and Kirill can create "it" factor. I am not surprise that both D/R and H/D will join the case of the show, as Eric's boyfriend is Luis Fenero and Madison is dating Adria :biggrin: Anyway, it is a great cast consist of world champions in each discipline. I am just curious how they are going to arrange the stage for the live band & performers in a round rink. The price for the tickets are very fair, much cheaper than those of Japanese shows.