Javier Fernandez | Page 138 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

evergreen

On the Ice
Time goes by so fast, they are the only two skaters of that group who are still competing :sad14: They were just on the rise back then and now they are the top 2 in the world :yes2:
And can I say that, although I wasn't much of a fan of Javi's costumes that season, that yellow sweater made him stand out? And was it then that his loving relationships with suspenders started? :biggrin:

Time flies indeed; Javi struggled his 3A in that season, but seldom missed quads, as matter of fact, he had outstanding consistency landing his quads in both of SP & FS entire season, it was his conditioning in the second half of FS and inexperience competing in the final flight dragged his ranking in the Euros and Worlds.

I always think sweaters and suspenders are Brian Orser's signature costume, which is inherited by Javi? The yellow sweater did make Javi cuter, plus the high waist pants, he danced on ice like a teddy bear. I like his FS costume in that season, simple understated luxury.

honghe

On the Ice
I don't think so, your principle is his long, curly Eyelashes :laugh:
Haha you know me too well :laugh:

I was watching 12' worlds men group 5 SP last night, this was the first time I watched the competition on youtube, I almost forgot that Yuzu and Javi were in the same group, both of them were so young back then.

I need to watch his SP that season again! I really like that program :love:

I finally was able to watch TSL's TDF This and That, and wow, is it just me or is John even more handsome now?
I enjoyed the whole episode a lot, in particular the discussion on ice dance. It's especially interesting to hear John's thoughts on Madison/Zach and also Ruslena.
Also liked what John said about Javi. As for Javi's conditioning, he did seem like he was kind of running out of gas near the end of his FS at TDF, more so than at CoR the week before. It's still a huge improvement comparing to a few years ago when at the beginning of the season he'd be almost half dead at the end of his FS :laugh:

honghe

On the Ice
Time goes by so fast, they are the only two skaters of that group who are still competing :sad14: They were just on the rise back then and now they are the top 2 in the world :yes2:
And can I say that, although I wasn't much of a fan of Javi's costumes that season, that yellow sweater made him stand out? And was it then that his loving relationship with suspenders started? :biggrin:

I think I read somewhere that Brian got inspiration for Javi's costume that season while watching an episode of So You Think You Can Dance, but I can't remember whether it's the SP costume or the FS costume.

I have no complaint about Javi's love affair with suspenders, as most of the times he looks good wearing them. I do however hope that he does not start a love affair with fake suspenders :laugh:

evergreen

On the Ice
Haha you know me too well :laugh:

When I saw him in person, not only I was in awe of his Eyelashes, his tiny waist also made me jealous ;)

I finally was able to watch TSL's TDF This and That, and wow, is it just me or is John even more handsome now?

We are on the same page, he becomes more adorable and charming :luv17: he is married to an American ice dancer, settling in Florida and will soon be a father.

I enjoyed the whole episode a lot, in particular the discussion on ice dance. It's especially interesting to hear John's thoughts on Madison/Zach and also Ruslena

Yes, this episode is a must-see for ice dance fans; I like John's insightful comments a lot;

it seems P/C's lyrical contemporary style has great influences on all of the 4 disciplines, I am sort of disappointed that instead of finding their own styles, so many skaters including ice dancers copycat/pick up P/C's style.

Also liked what John said about Javi. As for Javi's conditioning, he did seem like he was kind of running out of gas near the end of his FS at TDF, more so than at CoR the week before. It's still a huge improvement comparing to a few years ago when at the beginning of the season he'd be almost half dead at the end of his FS :laugh:

Yes, I remembered in 15 Euros', he was so wasted at the end of FS that he could hardly bow to the crowd.

But I was not surprised that he was exhausted in the 2nd half of FS at TDF, he did his best for a competition back-to-back; of course, he definitely needs to work out more, since the FS is very physical demanding and he cannot be "half-dead" to sell the step sequence in the end of the program. It is very rare that he has such energy at this point of the season.

As to Javi's defense strategy, I don't think that he is trying to be consistent and wait for capitalizing Hanyu's mistakes as Dave Lease suggested; if Javi is serious about defending his titles and seeking for a GPF gold medal, he will be smart enough not to rely on someone else's doings but focus on improving his own skating and staying head-shoulder with his main ravel. In my view, his primary goal shall be to put down a clean 2-quad SP consistently.

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
I
I have no complaint about Javi's love affair with suspenders, as most of the times he looks good wearing them. I do however hope that he does not start a love affair with fake suspenders :laugh:

Though he is hot in all black, I prefer Javi in color :love:

honghe

On the Ice
Yes, this episode is a must-see for ice dance fans; I like John's insightful comments a lot;

it seems P/C's lyrical contemporary style has great influences on all of the 4 disciplines, I am sort of disappointed that instead of finding their own styles, so many skaters including ice dancers copycat/pick up P/C's style.

Re: ice dance. Maybe it's not just skaters? Since P/C are having so much success, perhaps some coaches/choreographers are also trying to push their skaters in the same direction? Which is unavoidable, I guess, at least to a certain extent...

Yes, I remembered in 15 Euros', he was so wasted at the end of FS that he could hardly bow to the crowd.

But I was not surprised that he was exhausted in the 2nd half of FS at TDF, he did his best for a competition back-to-back; of course, he definitely needs to work out more, since the FS is very physical demanding and he cannot be "half-dead" to sell the step sequence in the end of the program. It is very rare that he has such energy at this point of the season.

Yes, although his conditioning seems better than at this point of the season a few years ago, it's still something he can improve.
When he first moved to Toronto there were rumors that he wasn't a huge fan of cross training. I don't know if that was true, but at least judging by competitions, he now seems to take his conditioning more seriously.

Though he is hot in all black, I prefer Javi in color :love:

I love the Black Betty costume he wore :love: Javi looks good both in black and in other colors. (The huge pink bow tie from the Morozov days, though... I doubt anyone could make that look good :laugh:)

Last edited:

evergreen

On the Ice
Re: ice dance. Maybe it's not just skaters? Since P/C are having so much success, perhaps some coaches/choreographers are also trying to push their skaters in the same direction? Which is unavoidable, I guess, at least to a certain extent...

Yes, you are right, since the skaters' goal is to rank higher and stand on the podium, they must do something appealing to the judges like P/C did. Like John Kerr said, it was hard not to study what makes P/C successful.

Still, I feel funny seeing so many stationary lifts in ice dance, TBH, I am disappointed with V/M's FS this season, after so many talk/interviews that they want to do something different and offer more styles, if there is only one team should not follow P/C's trend, they should be the one, I hope that their FS can be tweaked differently next week at NHK. After all, V/M's pink Floyd and Latin Dance FS are my favorites.

Yes, although his conditioning seems better than at this point of the season a few years ago, it's still something he can improve.
When he first moved to Toronto there were rumors that he wasn't a huge fan of cross training. I don't know if that was true, but at least judging by competitions, he now seems to take his conditioning more seriously.

I am afraid these were not rumors but the truth :laugh:, Javi was not a huge fan of run-throughs, spins, morning practice sessions, jumping too many quads; when Hanyu joined TCC, he wanted to observe Javi's quads, to his disappointment, Javi did not jump as many quads as he expected ;)

Things have changed, as Brian said, Javi nowadays treats skating more like business; a few years ago I could have never imagined that Javi skated to a song like "Danny Boy" in a such elegant & emotional style.

love the Black Betty costume he wore Javi looks good both in black and in other colors. (The huge pink bow tie from the Morozov days, though... I doubt anyone could make that look good )

Black Betty costume is a different one, it has "see-through" fabric :agree2:

The huge pink bow tie jacket plus green shirt plus purple jacket :ddevil:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well he is a cat person and I am a dog person.
He is a Real Madrid fan and I like Barca.
But I still like it when he talks about his cats or fanboys over Real Madrid... Does this make me a person with no principle? :laugh:

It makes you, you :) I'm a big Atletico fan and there is Gran Derbi this weekend :devil: Pretty sure Javi will be watching :biggrin:

I need to watch that John Kerr interview, I actually started it, but watched only like 5 minutes of it....

honghe

On the Ice
Yes, you are right, since the skaters' goal is to rank higher and stand on the podium, they must do something appealing to the judges like P/C did. Like John Kerr said, it was hard not to study what makes P/C successful.
I love P/C (especially C) and what they do. The problem with others trying to follow them, though, is that sometimes you are left with the impression that "P/C does it better, anyways"...
I also love V/M and to me their vibe is very different from that of P/C. I'm sure they did not come back to be another P/C, and to be fair, their program does not remind me that much of P/C, especially if compared to programs some others from Montreal have...
(Now that I've thinked about it, I guess apart from P/C, Sara/Adri used to be the Montreal team with the most noticeable personality... oh well...)

Javi was not a huge fan of run-throughs, spins, morning practice sessions, jumping too many quads
The list is quite... astounding when you put it this way :laugh:
Javi has really come a long way since he started training under Brian et al.

Black Betty costume is a different one, it has "see-through" fabric

I'll always be grateful for the Black Betty costume :love:

Last edited:

honghe

On the Ice
It makes you, you :) I'm a big Atletico fan and there is Gran Derbi this weekend :devil: Pretty sure Javi will be watching :biggrin:

I need to watch that John Kerr interview, I actually started it, but watched only like 5 minutes of it....
I'll be rooting against Real Madrid but in case they win, I can be happy for Javi :laugh: Look, I've found a way to make myself happy regardless of which team wins :laugh2:
The TSL episode with John is really good! (Plus it's worth the time to just stare at his face :laugh: just saying)

evergreen

On the Ice
The TSL episode with John is really good! (Plus it's worth the time to just stare at his face :laugh: just saying)

Don't you think John Kerr nowadays resembles some character from Lord of Ring? He should return to ice dance competitions :biggrin:

My biggest problem with V/M's FS is the 2nd half-the vocal part, it breaks the flow & story line of the earlier part, and some movements do remind me P/C's programs. On the other hand, I love their Prince Melody SD.

Sara/Adri's programs are so authentic and original, I was in shock when Sara announced her split with Adri, though there were sighs of their disagreement on/off ice if we look back in that summer perhaps even earlier.

Ps: I am getting bored with so many programs featuring slow music :disapp:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'll be rooting against Real Madrid but in case they win, I can be happy for Javi :laugh: Look, I've found a way to make myself happy regardless of which team wins :laugh2:

Atletico has a good record with RM in recent years in La Liga, they won't lose! Atleti lose to RM only in Champions League (Final :drama: ) :p : :rofl:
And, yeah, John Kerr is worth to look at, that's all we're left to, since he's married :laugh:

evergreen

On the Ice
According to some fan at fsuniverse, Javi landed his 100th quad, a 4S, in his SP at TDF, since he landed additional 3 quads in FS, he is 5 quads away from Brian Joubert's record, 108th:biggrin:

honghe

On the Ice
Atletico has a good record with RM in recent years in La Liga, they won't lose! Atleti lose to RM only in Champions League (Final :drama: ) :p : :rofl:
Atletico's luck in the Champions League recently:( I really felt for them.

According to some fan at fsuniverse, Javi landed his 100th quad, a 4S, in his SP at TDF, since he landed additional 3 quads in FS, he is 5 quads away from Brian Joubert's record, 108th:biggrin:
I didn't realize that there are fans keeping record of this kind of stats. Must be a lot of work.
I also didn't realize that skaters have landed so many quads. I guess they counted events like Japan Open and nationals? Still, wow, 100 is not a small number at all.

Going back to costumes a bit, do we know why the costume for Danny Boy was changed? I have nothing against the current one, but the one he wore in Boston wasn't bad, either.

honghe

On the Ice
Sara/Adri's programs are so authentic and original, I was in shock when Sara announced her split with Adri, though there were sighs of their disagreement on/off ice if we look back in that summer perhaps even earlier.
Yes I think it was after K&C at one of the competitions when people started to say that something didn't seem quite right. Still I guess most didn't really thought they were going to split. Anyway, it's nice that they are now both happily skating again.

Ps: I am getting bored with so many programs featuring slow music :disapp:
I like programs with slow music if they are thoughtfully put together and well performed. What I don't like, though, is when slow music is used to hide potential problems when skaters' movements can't really match the music well. And that goes for all disciplines. A friend once watched a video of a program, and for technical reasons the video was like two seconds behind the audio, and she didn't even realize it for a while :laugh:
So I've always been kind of against the assumption that programs with slow music automatically mean "lyrical" and "artistic" programs.

evergreen

On the Ice
Atletico's luck in the Champions League recently:( I really felt for them.

I didn't realize that there are fans keeping record of this kind of stats. Must be a lot of work.
I also didn't realize that skaters have landed so many quads. I guess they counted events like Japan Open and nationals? Still, wow, 100 is not a small number at all.

hard core skating fans keep on tracking everything, here is the linkof the thread if you are interested. I assume the record shall include all the quad jumps landed in competitions throughout his career up till present.

Going back to costumes a bit, do we know why the costume for Danny Boy was changed? I have nothing against the current one, but the one he wore in Boston wasn't bad, either.

He changed this costume during the tour CSOI, perhaps SOI producer thought the original one was a little bit shabby? I thought the old one fits the song slightly better, the current one is typical Canadian style? Anyway, the costume for this program is supposed to be as simple as possible.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Ah, I so wish I could go to Madrid for the show (never been there, so that would be cool in many ways), but am having some friends over here for the holidays and I think they would maybe find it a bit funny if I abandoned them for a couple of days during their visit ;) So I just wish that it will be a great success for him and that some bits and pieces will trickle to even us not able to attend... The setup looks very good overall!

The stats on quads was a cool bit of information as well - he will crush Joubert's record then in this season! The high number goes also to show how long he has been doing them in competition.

Apparently Javi participates in a cooking show on Spanish Disney Channel (aired today!): https://twitter.com/ShineIberia/status/800018387460096000?lang=fi Will probably be posted on the website afterwards: http://www.disney.es/disney-channel-un-dos-chef/programas

Looks like he will not get to actually cook (which would have been cool to see!), but merely eat and give his opinion on how it was...

Couple of older photos popped up: from the summer camp in Andorra https://www.instagram.com/p/BM7N98bgy5T/?tagged=javierfernandez and from the worlds in 2015 https://www.instagram.com/p/BM61nnbBRbp/?tagged=javierfernández

E

evergreen

On the Ice
Ah, I so wish I could go to Madrid for the show (never been there, so that would be cool in many ways), but am having some friends over here for the holidays and I think they would maybe find it a bit funny if I abandoned them for a couple of days during their visit ;) So I just wish that it will be a great success for him and that some bits and pieces will trickle to even us not able to attend... The setup looks very good overall!

I wish I could go too! I have never seen an ice show in a round rink:laugh:

Apparently Javi participates in a cooking show on Spanish Disney Channel (aired today!): https://twitter.com/ShineIberia/status/800018387460096000?lang=fi Will probably be posted on the website afterwards: http://www.disney.es/disney-channel-un-dos-chef/programas

Looks like he will not get to actually cook (which would have been cool to see!), but merely eat and give his opinion on how it was...

Thank you for the links!

Javi can cook:agree: would love to see him cooking in a TV show:luv17:

I noted that the following clip of last men FS group for 16' worlds has extra footage than the main tv stream.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x47iks3_wc-men-fs-4g_sport

re-post of 14' worlds men FS press conference, for the admirers of Javi's Eyelashes:luv17:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPB2JpYRS3s

Last edited: