I, Tonya (2018) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya (2018)

senatormls

On the Ice
Anything that Hollywood touches these days turns to _________. ( 'Snatch game' answer!). The whole story was way blown out of proportion at the time, and the case was never 'officially solved.' I'm not sure about Tonya's involvement with the film, but I'm sure she would rather be left alone. I'm not interested in the film, just interested in achievements in the art of figure skating!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I get that they want an A-list actress to bring attention to the movie but jeez why Margot Robbie. She's like the definition of conventional Hollywood attractive person while Tonya struggled for a lot time for not being the conventional ice princess people loved to see.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Amy Adams done this part before in Drop Dead Gorgeous. But then so did Allison Jenney. I like Lars and the real girl. If this is anywhere as good, I would be happy.

Oh my god, I loved that movie in high school! Now I have to see if I still have the DVD lying around somewhere...

mrrice

Record Breaker
How about Hayden Panettiere to play Tonya. She and Tonya are basically the same height, in fact, I think Hayden might be shorter believe it or not. We all know that she has dance ability and she could even play the scene's involving Tonya's failed singing career.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I get that they want an A-list actress to bring attention to the movie but jeez why Margot Robbie. She's like the definition of conventional Hollywood attractive person while Tonya struggled for a lot time for not being the conventional ice princess people loved to see.

Um, maybe she could just, you know, act...

Warwick360

Medalist
A dark comedy, eh? Because nothing says comedy quite like a vicious assault with a lead pipe.

I don't think I've seen any suggestion in links that indicate it being possibly a mocumentary or a dark comedy (unless someone can indicate a link on this thread).:scratch2:

Personally I wish it was a movie showing story of both Kerrigan and Harding, side by side, be it transitioning up to the 1994 Olympics or their whole life so far. I think that would give a sense of less possibility for bias and would probably make a good movie too, although more of a TV movie than a big screen movie. But at the way it's going, and if there is any chance that Harding is involved in production, I think it's going to be a "woe is me" fest. She's probably going to come across as Norma Desmond, like she did in one of the documentary based on the controversy where she kept going on and on over how great she was, and so on and so forth. :sarcasm:

Warwick360

Medalist

I disagree. I think Robbie has been quite good lately. I can say for certain that she's no Megan Fox or Kristen Stewart for that matter. I can already imagine her bringing her Harley Quinn energy with that baseball bat of hers. :eek:hwell:

The suggestion I really liked for the casting, that I saw elsewhere, was probably having Sienna Miller play Tonya. I really think she can do enough to resemble her.

But the main thing is I really hope they don't go around saying "she was the first Woman in the World with triple Axel". It was amazing how, barring from some, many people on the news comment of Daily Mail assumed that that was the case, instead of being the first AMERICAN woman. But then again, it is Daily Mail I am citing. :palmf:

Also, going on a tangent but while being related on the last point, it was amazing how many figure skating fans in America (not all) were so less knowledgeable about foreign skaters, in contrast to Japanese fans when I was watching the Arakawa documentary. Many people who were seeing the ice shows didn't even know who Arakawa was, in the year that she went touring after winning the OG. :slink:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think the reason Arakawa was such a shock is because Irina and Sasha were the reigning Gold and Silver Medalists going into the games and Carolina was riding a wave of success heading into the games. Shizuka did not have a good season during 2005. She followed her 2004 title season by falling all the way to 9th at Worlds in 2005. Talk about a major comeback.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
Who is Margot playing? She's way too pretty to be play Tonya.....and too Blonde to Play Nancy....Maybe she'll spend a bunch of time in the makeup trailer.

She plays Tonya. And she is not wearing any make up here as this is not a film shoot.

SkaterX

On the Ice
If she doesn't wear the floral print practice gear then the movie is not even worth watching. :laugh:

lyndichee

Medalist
Robbie is very well known for her looks however I hope her company steps up their game to make the skating convincing. I don't want to see some watered-down skating back and forth with dramatic shots of her face to try and depict Tonya's mental issues. I would love to see real figure skaters stepping in to do some shots. For example, Eliza T. could probably step in for a few 3As. Although she looks nothing like Tonya, she has a curvier build that can resemble Tonya and they could shoot Eliza's back when she lands the 3A and edit the angles to appear like Margot skated it. Though, Liza's 3A would look a lot better than Tonya's back in the day. Since Liza is not going to any major events until September, she can take the opportunity to train the 3A seriously for Olympic season.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well ... Margot Robbie does not resemble Tonya Harding bar being blonde but on the other hand it's not most important in my oppinion.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who is Margot playing? She's way too pretty to be play Tonya.....and too Blonde to Play Nancy....Maybe she'll spend a bunch of time in the makeup trailer.

She looks more like Anna Pogo, IMO. I wonder how much skating experience Margot has already or if she's just learning. She's got to look somewhat convincing stroking the ice but I'm sure they'll hire a skater to do jumps and spins.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
She looks more like Anna Pogo, IMO. I wonder how much skating experience Margot has already or if she's just learning. She's got to look somewhat convincing stroking the ice but I'm sure they'll hire a skater to do jumps and spins.

And Pogo & Radio look more like the Olsen twins ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Anything that Hollywood touches these days turns to _________. ( 'Snatch game' answer!). The whole story was way blown out of proportion at the time, and the case was never 'officially solved.' I'm not sure about Tonya's involvement with the film, but I'm sure she would rather be left alone. I'm not interested in the film, just interested in achievements in the art of figure skating!

Why do I think this film has "flop" written all over it? Poor Nancy....
Do a movie on Jon Jackson's book,
On Edge: Backroom Dealing, Cocktail Scheming, Triple Axels, and How Top Skaters Get Screwed