Skating stories that would make good films | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skating stories that would make good films

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I agree generally with your list other than the Chinese pairs are rather ho hum, yes it was the rise of the Chinese pairs but that is better done in their coach. I might add Liz Manley who dealt with depression, financial issues and crumbled all the time. Elena and Anton and her accident. 2002 I suppose along with the Canadians is fine. Kira Ivanova the forgotten Russian, almost unwanted, who was hated on by the American broadcasters, fell into depression, alcohol and murdered , Maria B, the unwanted old lady, Carolina K and lying so to speak in respect to her boyfriend, Michelle Kwan because she is the queen, Irina Slutskaya and her health issues, Oksana Baiul the orphan waif, who was cut before the freeskate due to the none to careful opposite jumper Tanya Sawechenko, Tai and Randi and olympics that weren't to be, AIDS and how it affected the sport of figure skating from John Curry to Brian Pockar, Rob McCall, Rudi Galindo and a list of other male skaters,Christopher Bowman what really happened with his marriages, Toller Cranston the artist, the legend, the skater, Scott Hamilton his life, Brian Orser: The Story of His Life the Susan Lucci of figure skating and outed.

Well, you can have your own list, but many of your list are ...not as much interesting just for me. I agree that Kira Ivanova's tragic life needs to be reevaluated at some point although I was disturbed by her skating at the 1984 Olympics, but not as much as by Rosalynn Sumners (poor Tiffany). If I had watched men's event live, I would have been a big fan of Christopher Bowman. He had everything as a skater but his "Hollywood life style" (that's what American broadcasts called) derailed his career and eventually his life.

The Chinese pairs, especially Shen/Zhao eventually got me fall in love with the discipline more than Russian and North American pairs. Nothing against the power houses' skating in pairs (which I became appreciative), but I don't like one country's dominance on any discipline, so their emergence from a country with a small federation excited me greatly. Therefore, I think I love to see the Chinese's stories along with Bin Yao, their coach than any pairs from the other country. I think documentaries on Elena and Anton already exist, but those would be only for Russian speakers. Krisiti is the very first one to introduce what ladies and pairs are to me, so Rudy's story after their dissolved partnership is one of my interests as well. I've watched a couple of documentaries on John Curry, so I may not be excited to watch his biographic film if it's ever filmed although I admire the legend's innovate skating and achievement after the Olympics in 1976. I would feel uncomfortable if a film bundling up any skaters with the illness you mentioned is ever filmed. That would emphasize on their sexual orientation and the disease in a sensational tone than their career and the sport.

Last edited: