2017 Four Continents Free Dance | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Free Dance

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Thank you. I had not noticed that. I truly hope this will be reason enough for them to do something like that for the next season. Then again, it's the Olympic season, and it did not really work out that well in the 2012/2013 season in terms of scores from judges, so they will probably want to do something that would be sure (or almost sure) to bring them gold as long as they skated it to the best of their abilities. If they did an FD similar to 'Carmen' they would really have to skate it better than in 2012/2013 (preferably, from the very start which could be quite difficult with that type of a program) - first of all, with more power and speed, as it seemed to be their problem compared to Davis/White that season. Other than that the technical elements were great in that FD, epecially the lifts.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
H/D looks like eternal underdogs. it's probalby bad that I looked at Madison hairdo (I really like it!) more than her skating.... :slink:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Really good skate from Shibs, though the program is not my cup of tea. The twizzles as always amazing. If WeaPo had done them this well... oh the possibilities! :drama: For now I have to enjoy it executed by Shibs :)

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Shibs twizzles are better than those of V/M, but V/M FD was more engaging for me. Still, not a big fan of a program. I couldn't stop thinking of P/C during it. Nevertheless, they have earned the victory :)

Astrid56

Final Flight
I've been watching C/B for years and their movements seem to be the same in every FD. They use similar choreography, stand-alone transition moves, very similar expressions from Madison, and almost the same footwork sequence. I also find a their expressions to be pretty shallow myself. But it's just my opinion.

Very interesting observation considering that what you see is true to every dance team. Let’s take P/C, for instance, their 2015, 2016 and 2017 FDs show identical movements, choreography, steps, and lifts placed differently in each program. The Shibs’ last year FD was very similar to this year's both in movement, mood, style, and even lifts executed cleverly where suited. V/M is the same – hasn’t really changed their style even the movements and lifts (even though they're with a different coach). As regards expressions, you described Madison’s shallow, I get it you prefer ‘bland’ and ‘emotionless’. Ice-dancers tend to recycle movements, steps, footwork and, in most cases, execute these differently than their usual to give these elements fresher look. You’d easily identify the team by their styles _ they simply differ in their approaches or methodology. The same is true with choreographers, you’d easily know Igor’s work as opposed to Peter Ternechev’s (he loves circular movements), Christopher Dean’s (edgy and innovative), etc. This is more obvious in dance where dancers execute a particular dance by following the dance’s distinct features and character. Famous dancers like Bryan Watson & Carmen Vincelj performed Cha cha cha differently than Slavik Kryklyvyy & Karina Smirnoff and yet they were doing the same steps/movements. They make the dance their own by injecting their uniqueness… distinctness in terms of expression and bravura. These differences were more evident in their execution styles _ the men's particularly (Watson versus Kryklyvyy): the former tended to be flamboyant and flirty; the latter_ earthy and emotional but I like both.

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
No, see I get this. That's why I call it my Davis and White problem. The problem is me not them. I just never could get into their programs. Maybe it's because it was always so perfect that there was no drama? (just a theory)

Your D/W problem is exactly my V/M problem, lol! I appreciate them objectively and completely understand why they were and are a top team, but for some strange reason they don't move me, as much as I've tried, and I really can't say why (except that it has nothing to do w national bias). I'm pretty sure I AM the lone cheese on this :eek:hwell:

On the related topic of fan groups, my favorite ID teams are those that move me, but not necessarily in the same way. E.g., D/W and the Shibs are very different and make me feel completely different emotions when watching them, but I'm a big fan of both -- D/W for their excitement and energy, and the Shibs for their refinement and serenity. It's kind of like comparing a roller coaster ride w a haiku poem. :) And sometimes, why a team moves me or not is a mystery even to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Your D/W problem is exactly my V/M problem, lol! I appreciate them objectively and completely understand why they were and are a top team, but for some strange reason they don't move me, as much as I've tried, and I really can't say why (except that it has nothing to do w national bias). I'm pretty sure I AM the lone cheese on this :eek:hwell:

On the related topic of fan groups, my favorite ID teams are those that move me, but not necessarily in the same way. E.g., D/W and the Shibs are very different and make me feel completely different emotions when watching them, but I'm a big fan of both -- D/W for their excitement and energy, and the Shibs for their refinement and serenity. It's kind of like comparing a roller coaster ride w a haiku poem. :) And sometimes, why a team moves me or not is a mystery even to me.

Wow! That's is such an elegant way to describe how I feel.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks, Mrs. P!

You're welcome!

As for Virtue and Moir, I have enjoyed some of their programs more than others (I like their Prince SD a lot!) but I can appreciate their skills and dancing.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Never cared much for Virtue and Moir's programs. They always seem the same to me and rather boring. What an ugly dress, it makes her look like she is overweight.

alain06fr

On the Ice
117 was too much for what V/M put on the ice, the scores seemed generally more inflated here than at Europeans (just IMO). P/C skated cleanly and their best FD this season at Europeans and got 114. The judges are basically saying that unless V/M screw up big time, the gold is theirs at Worlds.

Forget the scores at Europeans, they are just completely meaningless... and in all 4 categories!

As for the judges saying V/M will be World champions whatever performances are delivered by P/C and S/S (unless V/M makes huge mistakes), well... I don't know.
This season is quite weird imHo. To me, NHK GP, Rostelecom GP, Europeans and now 4C are quite questionable. I know pre OG seasons are always very special, with lots of conflicting interests, some focusing on the OG podium while others prepare (already) the after OG.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
It's amazing how reputation affects judging. Everyone talks about the inflation of some skaters - I think this was a classic case of inflation. Not to say that V&M aren't superb - I just think they weren't the best team today. Sad.

alain06fr

On the Ice
It's amazing how reputation affects judging. Everyone talks about the inflation of some skaters - I think this was a classic case of inflation. Not to say that V&M aren't superb - I just think they weren't the best team today. Sad.

V/M are a great couple, no doubt, no question. Now, I agree V/M were not the best today at 4C.
Do you feel like the 2017 Worlds podium is already decided?

Barb

Record Breaker
V/M are a great couple, no doubt, no question. Now, I agree V/M were not the best today at 4C.
Do you feel like the 2017 Worlds podium is already decided?

I just think is sure V/M are getting the gold if they have not a serious mistake, like a fall.

keasus

On the Ice
I don't mind listening to people criticize things I do like. I'm not personally offended by someone not liking Piper and Paul's disco. It's not like what some poor 18th C playwright must have felt when Ben Jonson literally tore your play apart in the papers or Dorothy Parker took you down with one phrase.

A solid row of 10s for ancientpeas literary references (and a big rawhide bone for the puppy, just because it wouldn't be a competition without him):hap10:

KKonas

Medalist
I think Davis and White are far more impressive live then they are on television. I also feel this way about Chock and Bates.

I always found it interesting that Shibs fans tended not to be huge fans of Davis and White, cause I don't fit in that mold. While I was not an uber, I generally enjoy their skating. What I like about them was this cerebral passion they had for each other, which is different than the traditional romantic connection we see with a lot of ID couples. They are both driven and passionate people and it showed in their programs. Their skill set was extremely high -- I'd argue few of the teams in the field, if any, would be able to do some of the lifts, such as the one they had for their Sczherazade program.

That said, that style is SO different from Virtue and Moir I totally get why people didn't like it. It's a you either love it or you don't situation.

Speaking of Bobrova/Soloviev, I used to dislike them greatly until I saw them live at Skate America in 2012. Their speed is incredible and yeah....they do the Russian drama SO well.

Interesting - I like both D/W & Shibs for different reasons - Shibs for their smooth quiet edges, and elegant body lines, and D&W for their quickness in technical brilliance. I agree that both teams are more impressive live than on television. I also think V&M are fine technicians and very powerful skaters but to my eyes they tend to make some irritating glitches in presentation. Plus, I haven't liked a lot of their programs. Weaver & Poje are a striking couple, but to me they are just not as strong technicians. He is the weaker of the two dancers IMO. Chock & Bates are better seen live but are not always as consistent technically as they could be. B&S are very fast as are many of the top Russian dances, but I see only drama. After attending US Nationals in KS, I am close to making my 100th live skating competition.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If the Shibs should have won then I guess we are hoping to forget the SD ever happened.

Actually if we forget about the SD then Weaver/Poje and Gilles/Poirier would finish higher. I think they'd like that a lot. :thumbsup:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Did V/M re-arrange their elements or place some of them earlier in the FD? I remember the elements being timed differently to the music which I think worked much better before. I don't remember that big pose section after the dance spin. It seemed like a big empty spot compared to what it was like previously. I preferred the FD during the GP series.