Stupid, ignorant or rude commentaries? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Stupid, ignorant or rude commentaries?

KKonas

Medalist
The first person that comes to mind to fit that category of the "so-called journalists" is Christine Brennan: what a b... xD!

I've known and worked with Christine for over 20 years and she is a fine sports journalist whether you like or agree with her or not. She and Phil Hersh are high profile personalities in the print sports world and really do like figure skating. They have finally realized that ice dancing is a sport.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You listen to any other commentary the BBC does, and the presenters are reasonably knowledgeable. This was on the level of someone doing tennis coverage without knowing what a backhand or forehand was. It's embarrassing and frankly disrespectful. It was not polite or fair, it was lowest common denominator, purile, juvenile nonsense.

And yeah, I have read the ISU handbooks, and I would expect anyone who is being paid to explain technical details on behalf of the national broadcaster to at least make an effort to do the same in order to familiarise themselves with the rules of the sport. Sue Barker is just as bad: particular highlight from Sochi being : "So, why is it called a triple jump? Because they turn three times?". It's shocking & indicative of how the BBC treats the sport as a joke that has nothing more than sparkly costumes and dramatic K&C reactions.

Can you refer to any particular part about this year that is disrespectful? I am really surprised you were so upset, and would love to check it out on iplayer.
Sue Barker is a tennis pro who doesn't know much about figure skating, but she is improving year by year. The women they had this year however was obviously amature.

They obvioulsy treat it well enough to have a WC broadcast this year, where as they have not bothered previous years. They usually do it the year just before the Olympics. Like it or not, it is a minor sport, and they only do it for online audiences, with only 1 highlight show on tv. I am personally grateful, and happily paying my license fee, HD quality without any commercial breaks.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I think the worst kind of commentary is the one where the bias shines through. Here on a forum we can easily say things like, I don't like this, and this judging is unfair and this skater annoys me, but when I commentate for the public I should just try to be as neutral as possible. I can understand that this might be hard for former figure skaters especially, who might know some of the skaters personally. But British Eurosport does this very well.

I agree with this. About British Eurosport - I've seen a very unnecessary bias display during this particular performance and I hope it never happens again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxsplsGhhZ8

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was less than happy about the way Uncle Dick, Scott, and Sandra treated Elena Liashenko during her 2006 Olympic SP. I had a soft for Elena after seeing live twice, in 1999, again during 2001. Her longevity should have garnered her a bit more respect from the US commentators. IMO, of course. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Jyl6dXaiM

I think it was mostly Dick, and he's well known as the Henry Higgins of figure skating (it's OK to be rude, as long as you're rude to everybody). Dick, when you have to say "I hope that's not being unkind," you know darned well that you're being unkind. I didn't notice Sandra say anything nasty at all, and on the replay she admitted openly that she was wrong about thinking one of the jumps was two-footed. Scott was kind of in the middle.

ioanna

Record Breaker
What was unnecessary about that commentary? It was spot-on.

If actively rooting against a skater on television like "Pogorilaya surely has the second mark over her", "Remember she's only carrying 1.5 marks lead over Pogorilaya", scores show up and "Oh I must say I'm very surprised but that's the way it is; Miyahara leads, Pogorilaya second. Highest PCS of the evening. I don't get it" is spot-on for you we can agree to disagree.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I agree with this. About British Eurosport - I've seen a very unnecessary bias display during this particular performance and I hope it never happens again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxsplsGhhZ8

Where is that bias? They're objective and praise Satoko for what she does well. Or is bias distinctive in one of the commentators speaking his mind and expressing surprise with Miyahara overtaking Pogorilaya? They have that right and in this case many shared that impression. I appreciate Satoko but don't tell me that any criticism regarding her tiny jumps or travelling spin speaks of bias or is something that should be prevented. I know that you're her fan and you would likely prefer to listen less criticism / more praising but this is not a good example of being rude or biased imo.

They actually acknowledged many of her jumps as clean like a whistle during slomo recap and expressed their astonishment at how fast Satoko rotates her jumps. If we go that far than they're "positively or negatively biased for everyone and have agenda when it comes to everybody" - I don't buy this.

There are actually examples of real, grumpy and dismissive bias out there from commentators like: Sandra Bezic or Johnny Weir but here there is none of that.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Where is that bias? They're objective and praise Satoko for what she does well. Or is bias distinctive in one of the commentators speaking his mind and expressing surprise with Miyahara overtaking Pogorilaya? They have that right and in this case many shared that impression. I appreciate Satoko but don't tell me that any criticism regarding her tiny jumps or travelling spin speaks of bias or is something that should be prevented.

I was not referring about what they're saying regarding her technique, I was referring to the fact that they were constantly comparing her to Pogorilaya negatively and that she shouldn't have overtaken her in PCS and overall. I personally dislike this kind of commentary "skater A shouldn't beat skater B in components because we like skater B better". I find it rude. That kind of talk belongs on message boards. I am also aware that most people shared their opinion but I didn't. I guess this thread is for examples of outrageously insulting comments then.

Last edited:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
If actively rooting against a skater on television like "Pogorilaya surely has the second mark over her", "Remember she's only carrying 1.5 marks lead over Pogorilaya", scores show up and "Oh I must say I'm very surprised but that's the way it is; Miyahara leads, Pogorilaya second. Highest PCS of the evening. I don't get it" is spot-on for you we can agree to disagree.

I've noticed that one or more of the commentators on British Eurosport have been consistently biased against Satoko Miyahara. It's one of the only things that has really bothered me about their commentary; otherwise, I usually quite like it. It was such a breath of fresh air when I found them after watching American coverage for so long. However, I've switched to Match Arena because it's more important to me to be able to watch the whole thing live if I can. And I sort of like that I only half understand what they're saying, because my Russian isn't very good. :laugh:

Lysambre

Final Flight
Nathalie Pechalat, on Eurosport France. She can criticize everything.

If you just had the best skate of your life? you look too much like a little girl, she doesn't like that and thinks it should affect your marks.
For girls in general: if you are asian, you better behave like a good westerner, or suffer her wrath at your "lack of expression".
You're one of the best male skater? Wow, your costume is so girly and ugly, should reflect in the marks.
You're from a country that beat her when she wanted to win the Olympics : better go hide now.

I don't care to remember which competition it was, but there was one this year, which only Eurosport was showing, and she litterally killed all my enjoyement of it with her useless criticism and bias.
That's when I got a good VPN so I'd never have to listen to her again.

I don't mind fair criticism, but criticising people's look, costumes, size and many things that are not related to their actual skating? That should be kept to the skating forums, not shown on TV.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've noticed that one or more of the commentators on British Eurosport have been consistently biased against Satoko Miyahara. It's one of the only things that has really bothered me about their commentary; otherwise, I usually quite like it. It was such a breath of fresh air when I found them after watching American coverage for so long. However, I've switched to Match Arena because it's more important to me to be able to watch the whole thing live if I can. And I sort of like that I only half understand what they're saying, because my Russian isn't very good. :laugh:

There was that one lady who was mean to like everyone at NHK one year in the SP. It was the NHK with the diving board and whacky acoustics. She was rough on Satoko and complained about her boots. Then everyone started raising a stink and in the FS she kept saying...."I'm trying to be nice". I think someone told her we thought she was being a bit mean :laugh:

Last edited:

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

If you just had the best skate of your life? you look too much like a little girl, she doesn't like that and thinks it should affect your marks.
For girls in general: if you are asian, you better behave like a good westerner, or suffer her wrath at your "lack of expression".
You're one of the best male skater? Wow, your costume is so girly and ugly, should reflect in the marks.
You're from a country that beat her when she wanted to win the Olympics : better go hide now.

I don't care to remember which competition it was, but there was one this year, which only Eurosport was showing, and she litterally killed all my enjoyement of it with her useless criticism and bias.

I don't mind fair criticism, but criticising people's look, costumes, size and many things that are not related to their actual skating? That should be kept to the skating forums, not shown on TV.

Oh, that sounds awful! I've never in my life seen a figure skating video with commentary from Eurosport France.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the worst kind of commentary is the one where the bias shines through. Here on a forum we can easily say things like, I don't like this, and this judging is unfair and this skater annoys me, but when I commentate for the public I should just try to be as neutral as possible. I can understand that this might be hard for former figure skaters especially, who might know some of the skaters personally. But British Eurosport does this very well. In Germany, Figure Skating is mostly shown on Eurosport Germany, and the commentators are not neutral. There is one lady who comments when the main commentator is occupied elsewhere. Her name is Petra Bindl and she has a very nice voice, pleasant to listen to. She's always complementary to skaters and focuses on the good instead of the bad. I really like her, she reminds me of the British Eurosport guys, very positive.

I know it sounds meanspirited to bring up a skater's need-improvements... flaws... things they do poorly. But if knowledgeable commentators fail to do this, then they fail to educate the public on the difference between good skating and great skating.

New fans can sometimes lack awareness. They think ALL skating is great, because the people on TV say so. And it's not.

The sport needs more commentators who shut up during performances, and afterwards rationally discuss both the good and bad aspects of a particular performance once it is completed.

It doesn't necessarily have to be, "God, that's the worst position I've ever seen." But, there's nothing wrong with, "In the future, she'll need to extend more and add a more graceful arc to that move. She's losing points on it now."

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

Oh, I just found her on YouTube commentating on P/C. Nearly the first words out of her mouth are about the costumes LOL

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There was that one lady....maybe Sinead.... who was mean to like everyone at NHK one year in the SP. It was the NHK with the diving board and whacky acoustics. She was rough on Satoko and complained about her boots. Then everyone started raising a stink and in the FS she kept saying...."I'm trying to be nice". I think someone told her we thought she was being a bit mean :laugh:

I think it was Joanne Conway who made the remark about Satoko's skates (boots) being enormous. I think her sidekick said "Well, they have to fit her feet." I think they were Edeas; she's not the only person who doesn't like their appearance, but you'd think Satoko was the only one wearing them and Joanne had never seen them before.

Joanne Conway is quite rude in general. Fortunately she isn't on much.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If actively rooting against a skater on television like "Pogorilaya surely has the second mark over her" and "Oh I must say I'm very surprised but that's the way it is; Miyahara leads, Pogorilaya second. Highest PCS of the evening. I don't get it"

Commentators are supposed to give their opinion, you don't have to agree with it. He even praised her a lot, but said her jumps made for a less pleasing presentation. It wasn't some kind of mindless rooting against a skater for no reason.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
On those few occasions I stumbled across youtube videos with Tara's commentary I was always baffled by the amount of inane chattering & also irritated by extremely nasal tone of her voice. Add Johnny who fuels her and you have hot mess. Both can be needlessly harsh or dismissive for skaters from time to time. I read that Tara also used to spin a tale out of nowhere about her Olympic Gold and other blah, blah focused on her person for no good reason, is it true?

I can handle the nasal... but she drops the 'g' in Strength and it drives me batty. The word is NOT "strenth".

uhh

Medalist
Did anyone in France hear Amodio's commentary for Eurosport on the Men's FS? His instagram live streaming of Euros was always funny and honest without ever being mean, so I'd love to hear what he's like when he's commentating for real!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I know it sounds meanspirited to bring up a skater's need-improvements... flaws... things they do poorly. But if knowledgeable commentators fail to do this, then they fail to educate the public on the difference between good skating and great skating.

New fans can sometimes lack awareness. They think ALL skating is great, because the people on TV say so. And it's not.

The sport needs more commentators who shut up during performances, and afterwards rationally discuss both the good and bad aspects of a particular performance once it is completed.

It doesn't necessarily have to be, "God, that's the worst position I've ever seen." But, there's nothing wrong with, "In the future, she'll need to extend more and add a more graceful arc to that move. She's losing points on it now."

It's not like that. It's obvious, what they don't like, they do say it and if something is bad or sloppy, underrotated it IS mentioned. But she is never mean and finds something positive to say anyway.

Lysambre

Final Flight
Did anyone in France hear Amodio's commentary for Eurosport on the Men's FS? His instagram live streaming of Euros was always funny and honest without ever being mean, so I'd love to hear what he's like when he's commentating for real!

I only heard it for a couple of skater since I didn't have much time on that day, but the little I heard was fantastic.

Calm and yet enthusiastic commentary, even though it sounds opposite, it's definitely not :).

Really nice to hear him instead of Péchalat. I hope they bring him back all the time at least for the men's events.