Stupid, ignorant or rude commentaries? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Stupid, ignorant or rude commentaries?

ralucutzagy

Final Flight
Our female commentator from Eurosport RO, Yvonne Ghita. :palmf: Poor woman is absolutely ludicrous. She comments from some years FS for ESP RO but still has no ideea about jumps and other technical elements. She's usually accompanied by a ex romanian skater Cornel Gheorghe and when that happen it's tolerably. But the guy doesn't come all the time and when she's alone she's annoying like hell. :gaah: I often wanted to make a compaint to Eurosport, but with the coverage and importance they grant to FS this days, I'm sure that my complaint will remain unanswered. :disapp:

andromache

Record Breaker
I miss Dick Button. He wasn't always the nicest but he had his unbiased opinions - it didn't matter who you were, if you had poor posture or didn't point your toe, Dick would let everyone know! He could kind of get away with the cranky old man shtick, and it was always amusing. I find that the artistic sensibility of Dick and Sandra is missing from most commentary nowadays. Very little effort is given to discussing the artistic merits or lack thereof of a program.

I could never stand Scott's OTT screaming. Ugh.

Tara is awful, but I think Johnny is decent. He can be harsh sometimes, but this is a sport. He also seems to have much less nationalistic bias than other US commentators of the past, and oftentimes his critiques are knowledgeable.

I appreciate a healthy dose of critique in figure skating commentary. We can be respectful of skaters without coddling them.

uhh

Medalist
I only heard it for a couple of skater since I didn't have much time on that day, but the little I heard was fantastic.

Calm and yet enthusiastic commentary, even though it sounds opposite, it's definitely not :).

Really nice to hear him instead of Péchalat. I hope they bring him back all the time at least for the men's events.

Thanks! He is training to be a sports journalist now, so I hope we will be able to hear him commentating much more!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Did anyone in France hear Amodio's commentary for Eurosport on the Men's FS? His instagram live streaming of Euros was always funny and honest without ever being mean, so I'd love to hear what he's like when he's commentating for real!

Yes, I heard some of that and I thought he was great. He pointed out a lot of small details that you don't usually hear other commentators talk about and when he was critical, it was always framed in a constructive way. Since I barely know any French, I can't appreciate his tv commentary, but from what I've read about other French commentators, I have no doubt he'd be an improvement. :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I miss Dick Button. He could kind of get away with the cranky old man shtick, and it was always amusing.

It's his vocabulary, the most expansive of any commentator ever. Coming from that 1950's Harvard background, mixed with a very boisterous personality. He's too erudite and knowledgeable to simply be a cranky old man.