2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2 | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2017 World Team Trophy - Day 2

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
There's a thing Shoma does in his step sequence, where his edge is so deep his boot almost touches the ice. He's got amazing edges

Klarnet

On the Ice
Mikhail Kolyada -> perhaps the first time i've really enjoyed this program. I had never seen him this relaxed before, he really sold every second of it, great speed across the ice and basically all the triples came out of nowhere (the second 3A was so huge) and maybe with some of them he should add more transitions. The 4Ltz was almost done.

Me too, he usually seems nervous when skating and I get nervous too, when I watch him expecting a pop or other mistake. But now seems like competition mileage works for him, he was very confident and attacking in SP and delivered pretty clean FP since long time.

Speaking about pops, there are 7 of them (doubled included) for 6 skaters, and 5 falls overall for 12 men. Guess they were so tired that weren't even willing to fight for jumps and fall. In comparison, there were 7 pops for 23 men (10 overall for 24 men, as Majorov made a big contribution doubling three of his jumps) and 14 falls at worlds.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Was this the first time Nathan popped a quad this season? I don't actually remember him doing that. If he's going to screw up a quad, he usually rotates and falls. If even Nathan is popping a jump, then you really know people are TIRED as heck.

Nika09

On the Ice
This mute slow-motions are so annoying!

Is this going to be on ESP?

No. I mean don't think so. But desperately want to see how Simon&Chris getting tried of "Oh, no!" (that they are saying when something is going wrong) today :laugh:

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Big thank you to all the skaters who did their best and performed even at the end of a long and exhausting season. Hopefully the men and Ice Dance teams can now focus on what is most important in this competition: cheering like crazy for the Pairs and Ladies and being happy dorks tomorrow :biggrin::cheer:

Also, I have to say it, Zuzu cracks me up.

*messes up 4S*
*Yolos first Quad-Euler combi ever*
*Yolos first time 3 Quads in 2nd half of LP ever*
*has to add a spread eagle before his Yolo 3A because out of an Ina Bauer is too easy*
....*messes up the 3A*

:laugh2:

I missed the 4T Euler and thought he did a 3A Euler and had done two 3A, and when he gave forward for the last jump, I thought he wanted to YOLO a 4A. That would have been the ultimate YOLO.

da96103

Record Breaker
my quick calculations on purpose of Predictions Game :)hopelessness:) shows the following, apologies for potential errors:

1. Shoma Uno 302,02
2. Nathan Chen 284,52
3. Yuzuru Hanyu 284,0
4. Mikhail Kolyada 279,41
5. Patrick Chan 276,47
6. Jason Brown 273, 67
7. Boyang Jin 272,61

Shoma, Nathan and Yuzu playing musical chairs.

TMC

Record Breaker
This mute slow-motions are so annoying!

No. I mean don't think so. But desperately want to see how Simon&Chris getting tried of "Oh, no!" (that they are saying when something is going wrong) today :laugh:

I can so hear that "oh no" :laugh:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Whohooo, Shoma got full GOE on his Step Sequence! :hap10:

And so did Patrick! :luv17:

And Jason! :yahoo:

All well deserved!

Last edited:

Klarnet

On the Ice
Was this the first time Nathan popped a quad this season? I don't actually remember him doing that. If he's going to screw up a quad, he usually rotates and falls. If even Nathan is popping a jump, then you really know people are TIRED as heck.

I also don't remember Boyang to pop his trademark 4Lz, there were falls, stepouts, but pops? Or maybe my memory just fails me

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I also don't remember Boyang to pop his trademark 4Lz, there were falls, stepouts, but pops? Or maybe my memory just fails me

You're right, Boyang's 4Lz too! Boys, go sleep. This has been a weird day.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great job from Mikhail! And I love the big smile :)

A little late to the party, but isn't he great?! Love his jumps and find him charming! I hope for the Olympic year he has a little bit better costumes and programs that really show off his strengths...And is it my imagination or is he a dead ringer for Ilia Kulik?! :luv17:

mrrice

Record Breaker
A little late to the party, but isn't he great?! Love his jumps and find him charming! I hope for the Olympic year he has a little bit better costumes and programs that really show off his strengths...And is it my imagination or is he a dead ringer for Ilia Kulik?! :luv17:

It is definitely NOT your imagination. A number of us talked about it earlier in the season and I hope he's able to get Russia back on the World Podium in the near future.

Last edited:

Eclair

Medalist
Just a quick analysis of the SS scores of the quadsters monsters and the old guard here.

Yuzuru got 9.5, Shoma 9.36, Patrick 9.64, Nathan 8.5 and Boyang 8.43. Add the factor (*2) , and you get the following actual points that were part of their scores:

- Yuzuru 19
- Shoma 18.72
- Patrick 19.28
- Boyang 16.86
- Nathan 17

The difference between Patrick (with the best SS out there, I think everybody can agree) and Boyang (mediocre SS, to be polite) is 2.42.
Why would Boyang for example bother to improve his SS? He can make it up extremely easy on TES.

Because it's NOT really a 2 points difference but a 16 point difference between Boyang and Patrick. Because PCS mostly is judged upon SS and Patrick get's 2 more points in EACH PCS category for his great SS even if he doesn't perform well.
Also, adding jumping content is really the only way a skater from a less powerful federation can get acknowledged. How can you blame him for that if we have Misha, Han Yan and Julian Zhi Jie Yee all being original or having great SS but never getting the PCS they deserve.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Just a quick analysis of the SS scores of the quadsters monsters and the old guard here.

Yuzuru got 9.5, Shoma 9.36, Patrick 9.64, Nathan 8.5 and Boyang 8.43. Add the factor (*2) , and you get the following actual points that were part of their scores:

- Yuzuru 19
- Shoma 18.72
- Patrick 19.28
- Boyang 16.86
- Nathan 17

The difference between Patrick (with the best SS out there, I think everybody can agree) and Boyang (mediocre SS, to be polite) is 2.42.
Why would Boyang for example bother to improve his SS? He can make it up extremely easy on TES.

Because SS are connected to other PCS. Improvement of SS by 2 points would mean improvement of PCS in general by 10 points. Worked for Javi.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma doesn't choose, and doesn't care. He just does whatever and then interpretates the hell out of it. :)

He just pretty much says "whatever". And he's so versatile, they can throw just about anything at him. I think the only stuff he doesn't like is comical or too cute-sy cos he finds those styles embarrassing...Fluffy does a great job of showcasing his strengths -- and those step sequences of hers are to die for. Can't even imagine what she has in store for next year, although it'll be hard to top Loco.

Last edited:

Kelly

On the Ice

- Yuzuru 19
- Shoma 18.72
- Patrick 19.28
- Boyang 16.86
- Nathan 17

But from what I have observed from last season to this season, Boyang did make efforts to improve his skating skills and PCS overall.
And according to this article, http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/04/21/nathan-chen-yuzuru-hanyu-world-team-trophy/, Nathan is thinking on how to improve his skating altogether not just focusing on jumping.

Because it's NOT really a 2 points difference but a 16 point difference between Boyang and Patrick. Because PCS mostly is judged upon SS and Patrick get's 2 more points in EACH PCS category for his great SS even if he doesn't perform well.
Also, adding jumping content is really the only way a skater from a less powerful federation can get acknowledged. How can you blame him for that if we have Misha, Han Yan and Julian Zhi Jie Yee all being original or having great SS but never getting the PCS they deserve.

:2thumbs:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

- Yuzuru 19
- Shoma 18.72
- Patrick 19.28
- Boyang 16.86
- Nathan 17

I agree with the opinion of inaccurate and insufficient reflection of relative competency under today's scoring of SS and PCS. But I wish nobody would say something like

This is very frequently said about skaters perceived to be favoured by judges while lamenting the poor judging. Criticism of judging needs not, maybe should not, include projection of innate laziness of skaters or how they are motivated. Elite skaters, and generally people successful enough to be publicly discussed and judged, often do not have the same mindset as the critics from the general population. They are more driven and committed than the vast majority of us.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
This is very frequently said about skaters perceived to be favoured by judges while lamenting the poor judging. Criticism of judging needs not, maybe should not, include projection of innate laziness of skaters or how they are motivated. Elite skaters, and generally people successful enough to be publicly discussed and judged, often do not have the same mindset as the critics from the general population. They are more driven and committed than the vast majority of us.

I understand how my comment could be perceived as criticizing Boyang, and for this I am very sorry, but I really didn't mean it, I just used his situation as an example of a current skater having very high potential TES scoring who is currently lacking on PCS department (in comparison to his amazing TES)
My issue was why would someone with his potential bother to do it considering that point wise it would be smarter to keep focusing on the TES (a purely general theoretical question, not addressed to a particular skater, but address the current flaws of the system). For what it's worth, I know and I observed the improvement Boyang made on his presentation and skating in general, I kind of like his programs this season (especially LP) and he definitely performed them very well at worlds.
Also, I don't think that Boyang or Nathen are favored by the judges, if there are issues with how they (or other skaters) are scored, it's a problem of the system and how the judges are applying it.
You are right that in trying to express our opinions we very often find ourselves criticizing (directly or indirectly) the skaters. I will try to pay more attention from now on.