Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Skaters with consistently good/bad costumes

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I think criticizing someone's costumes who only skates in ice shows now is kind of ridiculous.

Yuzu, however, needs a new costumer. I think part of the reason I've never warmed up to the guy is because of the frippery he dons for his programs.

His costumes were considerably better this season, thank goodness. I liked them. I especially love his swan EX one

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
My favourite costumes:
Alina’s tutus!!! (Well, Alina IS my profile picture) A lot of people want her to drop the tutus but I love them [emoji7] I think they’re unique for her especially since nobody else really wears them. Her black swan one is my favourite, especially the two way sequins.
I also liked Satoko Miyahara’s madame butterfly and Evgenia Medvedeva’s Anna Karenina she wore at Euros and Olympics. Zhenya has had consistently good costumes 16-17/17-18 same with Alina. And also, I love Adam Rippon’s sparkly bird one [emoji23]
if I keep on going I’ll write an essay so there you are

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Shame on Yuzuru. He should know better! This is almost bad enough for the skating gods to take away at least one OGM. Where is the fashion police when you need them!LOL

I shrieked when I first saw it (and am still mentally ripping off the shoulder flounces when I can) but to be fair, this is apparently pretty much straight from the anime in question...

the one thing we have to give Yuzu is that no matter how outre and idiosyncratic his outfits are, they (nearly) always fit carefully into the program, and he so is totally, beautifully unselfconscious and comfortable wearing them (even requiem and Notte Stellata). Which is an art in itself, some lovely costumes can be ruined because the wearer is way too conscious that they are Dressing Up (Alina, I am looking straight at you and your tutus, pretty as they are).

Amei

Record Breaker
Savchenko and Szolkowy - they had a couple of beautiful costumes, but most of the time their costumes were hideous like the way too literal interpretation of Send in the clowns, futuristic outfits and the pink panther costume - which was specifically Savchenko because it made my eyes hurt.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Savchenko and Szolkowy - they had a couple of beautiful costumes, but most of the time their costumes were hideous like the way too literal interpretation of Send in the clowns, futuristic outfits and the pink panther costume - which was specifically Savchenko because it made my eyes hurt.

:laugh: it's all in the eye of the beholder. My father didn't watch much figure skating but one time he was watching with me and REALLY LIKED the pink panther outfit. OK I admit it - I REALLY LIKED it too!!!! I believe that was the moment I became a huge fan of Aliona's. :hap10:

Watch

Final Flight
Ok, I honestly love everything Johnny puts on. Some of his costumes are total artrocities and crimes against mankind, but all of it is so him, I can't not enjoy it.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Velvet is pretty bad - but at least no one (that I can think of) has ever worn corduroy............YET!........:pray:

OMG...if that ever happened we'd have to shut the whole thing down - figure skating would truly be dead that day. :p

Giselle

Medalist
So I was looking at the ISU Instagram stories and at one point Valentina Marchei mentioned that she lets Anna Cappelinni pick her costumes because Anna has the best taste :laugh:

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ok, I honestly love everything Johnny puts on. Some of his costumes are total artrocities and crimes against mankind, but all of it is so him, I can't not enjoy it.

:laugh2: I love this, so true

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
they were never particularly *awful*, but Patrick Chan's costumes always bugged me something awful. he'll go down in history as one of the greatest men's skaters, but half the time he dressed like a confused grandpa

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
they were never particularly *awful*, but Patrick Chan's costumes always bugged me something awful. he'll go down in history as one of the greatest men's skaters, but half the time he dressed like a confused grandpa

Look at the esqualo costume if you want sexy

Look at aranjuez poto or boheme if you want refined.

Elegie first version had ruffles and mesh. Not something my gramdpa confused or not would have worn.

I agree with you for mtk. That costume was bad. The coatumes after his break are simple and modern. That is part of his point of view: putting the skating first.

We agree on the rest. Greatest skater of all times. Yes. He is part of that group.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'll take P Chan's costumes any day over a skater looking like they bought their outfit in the produce section of the local market.:laugh::slink:

Also, I hate when skaters have polka dots. Especially undefined circles, they end up looking like the Flintstones.:palmf:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Err, I have looked , and IMO they're anything but. They're more someone who doesn't actually quite understand how the words sexy and refined have anything to do with clothes but is making a half-hearted try anyway... every time I've watched him, he looked uncomfortable in his own outfits (well, to be fair, until his program hit its stride). He's one of the skaters I do think might have been happier if a uniform code had ever come in.

Whereas some of the most outrageous dressers often have the gift of being and feeling totally comfortable in their sparkles, which I suspect is one reason why they pop up so often on FS Best and Worst Costume lists on forums, blogs, tumblr... often for the same outfit :laugh:

Again, it's all very much down to taste though. I find Javi's all-black Malaguena outfit one of the sexiest things for the last two quads, Denis Ten probably managed the very best refined and classy while still interesting, and Stephane's sparkly black at one of the FOIs managed refined and sexy.

I hate when skaters have polka dots. Especially undefined circles, they end up looking like the Flintstones.

No one over the age of six should be allowed to wear polka dots anyway (unless they're Mel from old-school Dr Who, and no one in their right mind would take her as a fashion icon, surely).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Elegie first version had ruffles and mesh. Not something my gramdpa confused or not would have worn.

I agree with you for mtk. That costume was bad. The coatumes after his break are simple and modern. That isnpart of his point of view: putting the skating first.

We agree on the rest. Greatest skater of all times. Yes. He is part of that group.

For the record, I loved Esqualo costume, it was my favorite of pretty much all of his costumes. Very edgy for him. ;)