Sasha Cohen behaviour in past, is it true? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen behaviour in past, is it true?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Heck, she actually had the gall to step onto the ice in the shadows & skate in circles to warm up her legs!

wait...she did this DURING the other skater's performance??

I've never been to a COI show so I don't know if this is normal routine for the skaters or not (to stretch/do whatever while the skater before them is performing).

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
wait...she did this DURING the other skater's performance??

I've never been to a COI show so I don't know if this is normal routine for the skaters or not (to stretch/do whatever while the skater before them is performing).

Yes, she did. Being the uber Kwan fan that I am, I was watching for her to appear & that's what I saw... It was a bit strange, but I just assumed that it was normal... She wasn't in the way, she didn't step out of the shadows, she was just there... skating in these really fast circles near the gate and then jumped off the ice when the on-ice skater was finishing up. At the time I thought it was kinda cool to see her prepping... but now, I know it was a character flaw... ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ah, but seems the other poster might not (?) be a Sasha fan. So I guess it depends on your point of view, lol. A non-Kwan fan who was interested in the skater performing (whoever he/she was) might have been distracted and angry just like this poster was. It could also depend on the arena (is there a special "warm-up" section, is the area visible to the audience, etc.)

Then again, I've never been to a show to see this so I'm really in no position to discuss whether it's a bad thing or not (I don't know if I would get distracted, etc.) I can only base my thought on reports posted here.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I wonder too if she may have stepped out at the wrong time - not paying attention or something - and tried to cover it by doing the ice stretch. JAT, for when one skater is finishing the next to skate has already taken the ice. As at the Den COI, All skaters skated up to right in front of me (270 feet from the skater entrance) in the "shadows," standing for a moment - as the other skater was finishing the last few steps - the constant entertainers thing. The spot would go down and the last would skate off as the others entered from the other side. So maybe she took the ice at the wrong time and tried to cover? I doubt it but it is a guess either way. I also note no real smiles from SC during that show. In her own zone. And it could have been for a perfectly good reason, IDK. Ira was not all that smily in Denver either. But who knows why. Maybe some jerks were heckling, or the lack of TV promotion in the area, etc.... ????

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I understand half that post, lol. What is SC and IDK?

I think it's fatigue more than anything. The tour had a LOT of stops that year.

And with the music playing in the background, etc.? That must have been deliberate to stretch on the ice. That can't have been a mistake.

Looks like standing in the wings waiting for the other skater to finish sounds normal. Now, is this stretching/blowing your nose/warming up on ice thing normal, too?

scuttlebutt99

Rinkside
Fossi: "You only have 10 posts, so why would you say such a thing? You are a hoot. Yes, I do believe what Robin Wagner said about Sasha going to Sarah and trying to embarass Michelle. Robin andSarah were boht embarassed. By the way, there are fans of lots of skaters on thsi board. Nobody bashes anyone, but we do speak our minds. You seem like a new and very young fan that might need to develop some thicker skin in the future. Good luck and happy New Year to you too."

I bet I am old enough to be your mother. ;) Your 517 posts against my 10 posts would rather suggest our level of maturity and the time we allocate for chatting. If I was your mother I would tell you this.

" There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it hardly behooves any of us
To talk about the rest of us."
- Edward Wallis Hoch .

"A rumor without a leg to stand on will get around some other way."
- John Tudor .

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I understand half that post, lol. What is SC and IDK?
Sasha Cohen and I Don't Know:laugh: ( I figure I say "I don't know" so much people would just know that :laugh:).
And with the music playing in the background, etc.? That must have been deliberate to stretch on the ice. That can't have been a mistake.

Looks like standing in the wings waiting for the other skater to finish sounds normal. Now, is this stretching/blowing your nose/warming up on ice thing normal, too?

Still it was just speculation - Music was constantly playing, and the skater would have to start skating across the boards from one end to the other before the song was finished to be in place before they needed to skate from the other side - the last performer went to the exit and the new one came from the other side where I was. So 30 seconds or less they would need to start heading for in front of me from the other side of the rink to stop and wait until their cue to go out as the lights "changed skater."

Like I say though, I doubt it and was just giving benefit of the doubt. As far as walking around, blowing your nose and such before you go out, I would say that is fine and normal if you do it toward the back where it is not distracting. But as it is mentioned, the toll on the skaters from the tour could have been a factor in all aspects of their behavior at COI. I would say the "Ice stretch" during another pro is kinda rude to me, But I think it was happening a lot during the show I saw over in that corner. Out of the corner of my eye I think I saw that happen a number of times. They don't have that 2 minutes between pros to do that stretching on ice so it might be accepted as well.

Last edited:
At the 03 COI show in Detroit, I watched another skater doing this prior to their skate while another skater was performing... she was stretching out, talking to those around her & yes, blowing her nose... Heck, she actually had the gall to step onto the ice in the shadows & skate in circles to warm up her legs! Guess who it was... Michelle Kwan.
No, no, that was Sasha disguised as Michelle, trying to make Michelle look bad.

As for blowing her nose, my Miss Manners book says proper etiquette is to just stand there and drip on the ice until the other girl's performance is over -- then wipe your nose on her skirt.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

As for blowing her nose, my Miss Manners book says proper etiquette is to just stand there and drip on the ice until the other girl's performance is over -- then wipe your nose on her skirt.

:laugh: :laugh:
See! That darn Sasha is just outta control!!! why can't she be a perfect person like Michelle??? Marsha Marsha Marsha!!!!

MKFSfan

Medalist
At every COI show I've attended, I've always noticed the next skater warms up, near ice and/or on ice, in the shadows during whoever skates before them. Personally, I find myself watching the next skater warm up, I find how skaters get ready so interesting!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ya know... While I am always amused at Sasha's antics on & off the ice (her interview with Peter C. is my absolute fave...) I'd like to interject another experience here...

At the 03 COI show in Detroit, I watched another skater doing this prior to their skate while another skater was performing... she was stretching out, talking to those around her & yes, blowing her nose... Heck, she actually had the gall to step onto the ice in the shadows & skate in circles to warm up her legs! Guess who it was... Michelle Kwan. I assumed it was more the casual prep skaters take before taking the ice than blatant disrespect. But then what do I know??

I think we might want to give Sasha a break...

See that's why I like you KW, you can act like a grownup!! The one time I remember so well is when Alexei did the COI tour after the Olympics and he had on his black and white top he wore for Winter. He was going around in circles and doing stretches...........What a magnifiscent site!!!

Dee

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
pcfite.gif
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You are just so much fun!!!

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker

:rofl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
At every COI show I've attended, I've always noticed the next skater warms up, near ice and/or on ice, in the shadows during whoever skates before them. Personally, I find myself watching the next skater warm up, I find how skaters get ready so interesting!

Interesting. So I guess it's the norm. In that case then I suppose neither Kwan's nor Cohen's "behaviour" was unique. But still, the warm up should be as discreet as possible and shouldn't draw audience attention away from the skater performing on the ice. I can see the disrespect (whether it's intentional or not) some might see in that but of course I wouldn't be able to agree or disagree.

Why oh why don't they just cut off a 20x20 piece of ice behind the entrance for warm ups?

You would never see anything like that in Hollywood Ice Revue, Ice Capades, Holiday on Ice and wherever there was professional skaters. These amateurs and that's what they are, are just to scared.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Why oh why don't they just cut off a 20x20 piece of ice behind the entrance for warm ups?

I was just thinking the SAME THING

but we must remember that these are general venues and not specifically ice rinks. Still, I wonder how much effort it would take to do that in every arena on the COI tour?

A cheaper solution would be just to "section" off part of the rink for warmups and just put a curtain over it. And to fill arenas quicker they can just take out the seating in the section of the arena behind that curtain. Now there's a thought :think:

Fossi

Final Flight
Fossi: "You only have 10 posts, so why would you say such a thing? You are a hoot. Yes, I do believe what Robin Wagner said about Sasha going to Sarah and trying to embarass Michelle. Robin andSarah were boht embarassed. By the way, there are fans of lots of skaters on thsi board. Nobody bashes anyone, but we do speak our minds. You seem like a new and very young fan that might need to develop some thicker skin in the future. Good luck and happy New Year to you too."

I bet I am old enough to be your mother. ;) Your 517 posts against my 10 posts would rather suggest our level of maturity and the time we allocate for chatting. If I was your mother I would tell you this.

" There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it hardly behooves any of us
To talk about the rest of us."
- Edward Wallis Hoch .

"A rumor without a leg to stand on will get around some other way."
- John Tudor .

If you honestly believe that you're so much older and wiser than me then maybe you should spend your time doing other things than picking on the youth of the world. Unless, of course, you are right down on the level you are so adamant on bashing? :laugh: As you can obviously see I am not the only one posting in this thread but for some reason you insist on trying to single me out. Take it to PM if you really want to continue this weird thing you've got going on. As for me, I was always taught to respect my "elders," so I won't respond to your tauntings after htis post. As Paul Harvey would say -and yes, I too am old enough to remember- Good Day!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Still, I wonder how much effort it would take to do that in every arena on the COI tour?

A cheaper solution would be just to "section" off part of the rink for warmups and just put a curtain over it. And to fill arenas quicker they can just take out the seating in the section of the arena behind that curtain. Now there's a thought :think:

It would not take that much effort, but I think the issue is space and money. The spot where they could put it right before the entrance (most logical place to "warm up before going out" - closest to the rink, is also where they had the meet backstage area I believe. Also, I believe it is a different type of concrete needed under the rink coolers and such - it would be damaging to the flooring IOW.

RD, although that curtain idea is logical, I would not like that. I didn't have the measurements at the Can for COI's ice size, but it looked to be under 100 feet across already(likely the 85 foot hockey gig but seemed bigger???), and from some of the other comments I heard about the one in San Fran, that would have made a Really tinny rink. Besides that I didn't find it "distracting" to have Tanith, Ira, Sasha, Tat, Maria etc... to be standing right in front of me so I think it might not be noticed that much to be acknowledged. Sasha could have turned and left her hanky sitting on my lap and it would have only added to the show - be that positively or not still "added." - besides I could have given it to Plushy when he had his hand in my face:laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, you must have been up close to the ice. Did you have front row or on-ice seats?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Wow, you must have been up close to the ice. Did you have front row or on-ice seats?
Yep, (remember where Tatiana came to a stop after her horrible fall in Pitt?) there were still the boards in between the ice and me, but Sasha could have turned, held out her hand and dropped her hanky right in my lap before she was introduced. I mentioned it in my review before, but the eye contact was the "breath catcher" for me - still can't believe I "squealed" behind Ira, I was just "numb" by the time MK was standing there. Their eyes were all so beautiful, the rush of "wind" as they skated up to the spot in front of me, or as they went by......I high 5ed somebody???? on the finish lap etc.... I did have to lean forward to see the blades when they were on my side of the rink and when they were on the other side they seemed far-far away, but IMO I will always want a seat like that for "shows" and maybe 3rd - 7 row middle for a comp.

If you haven't read it RD, my review was pretty good (well so so) if you omit the fact I had called a few jumps incorrectly and miss worded Tanith and Ben's "no Twizels" - I meant to say "no Twizel issues" and Sasha fell, when changing direction after a stop. Everything else is on, even the MK "HOP / jump" - more a skip but....:p
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13826&highlight=Denver+COI

I was just reading over that and I am not sure if I knew what a twizel was then???? And maybe the Charlottes were high Camels or something. I do remember a lot of leg ups as Backward skating was going on but???? Not to sure about my own review now????

Finished reading and a few things wrong for sure. Well thanks to GS educating me it will / could be better next time. Enough Hijacking by Sean, sorry..

Last edited: