Should ISU introduce mandatory costumes? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Should ISU introduce mandatory costumes?

LadyB

Record Breaker
But what do you all think? Are costumes important? For me (and you guys who know me, know this), I couldn't care less about the costumes. The only times I react is when someone has something really UGLY on.:ROFLMAO: But I can't help laughing at times when we see comments like "oh, she has such a beautiful dress", "oh, he is so handsome in that suit" etc...

Do some people really only watch figure skating because of the costumes??
I watch it for very different reasons, believe me! :laugh:

Most of the time, I can't be bothered with costumes and I find T-Shirt and jeans just as appropriate/sexy/okay, as the performance is more important.
However, if a costume really makes the skaters even more handsome/beautiful, I like the colour or - and that is what gets me - fits the programme/music, I think it does make a difference to my viewing experience.
There are some costumes I'll never forget because I loved them (e.g. Piper & Paul - and love their performances as well, of course), and there are performances that I'll never forget while I'm unsure remembering what the skaters had been wearing exactly (e.g. Zhenya Medvedeva).
The OTT make-up thing for the girls would not work without costume - but I wouldn't have a problem with that. ;)

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I watched in the day of mandatory costumes. Men in fake tuxes. All the men in fake tuxes. The same fake tuxes.

That changed, thank heavens, in part thanks to my beloved Toller.

Costumes don't make figure skating any less a "sport". Figure skating is a wonderful sport and costumes are a part of this wonderful sport. In fact.

Bring on the bling. :biggrin:
Yes, he brought colour to the stiff boring waiters' outfits. :love2: :love2: :love2: :love2:

noskates

Record Breaker
I sort of balk at mandatory everything. But I do wish they would set some guidelines. I don't think the costume should be distracting. I don't think the ladies should look like they're at strip clubs (speaking to you Loena) Costumes in my opinion should augment the performance and have some relativity to the music.

Last edited:

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I think it's fine to wear whatever costume goes with the program, but I also believe that deductions should be taken when appropriate--Loena's SP dress is a perfect example--her butt cheeks are literally out there during her spins--just ugh. I love her but for the ton of money spent on the costume, it should fit well at a minimum...

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
My opinion would be No. But skaters and choreographers could use a little more discretion and think of how the public might view the costume.
They might not see the association between the music and the costume or not understand it.

Amei

Record Breaker
Just read this again and thought this statement could be misleading: What I meant was, I prefer less make up - I'm still a tomboy at heart... and always will be.

unfortunately stage makeup is needed to keep the skaters from looking washed out, look at some of the practice runs with no makeup then go look at their performance during competition. Though some ladies do absolutely cake the makeup on

I sort of balk at mandatory everything. But I do wish they would set some guidelines. I don't think the costume should be distracting. I don't think the ladies should look like they're at strip clubs (speaking to you Loena) Costumes in my opinion should augment the performance and have some relativity to the music.

Agree, though I will say if an athlete wears a simple costume, even 1 that appears to be training clothes, as long as they are neat in appearance that should be acceptable as well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Some people who are more casual viewers than members of this forum for instance, do not make sense of the too elaborate costumes that are often proposed by some figure skaters. I have heard comments as far as "it really doesn't make me want to watch as it looks like a fashion show and not a sportive event" . I do not wish for the ISU to make strict rules, but guidelines that may favour simpler outfits would be a plus for me and for fans who do not comprehend the ostentatious apparel of some.

Last edited:

DancingCactus

Final Flight
What's simple? Cut, fabric, colors?

I don't think anyone who dislikes/ is disinterested in figure skating would become a fan if costumes were drab tbh. They'd probably find another reason to be disinterested.

I wouldn't say anyone's costumes this season are over the top. Leona's dress cuts are a bit unfortunate, but nothing really heinous comes to mind.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What's simple? Cut, fabric, colors?

I don't think anyone who dislikes/ is disinterested in figure skating would become a fan if costumes were drab tbh. They'd probably find another reason to be disinterested.

I wouldn't say anyone's costumes this season are over the top. Leona's dress cuts are a bit unfortunate, but nothing really heinous comes to mind.
Exactly.. this is the issue... and that's why I don't suggest rules at all..

There is no easy way to make costumes simpler and leave some flexibility :)

All I am saying is that if some fans love the costume aspect of the sport, others don't... and some very casual fans do not understand their point as they do not follow the skaters, they do not know the programs concepts...or their context. It's pretty hard to like something you do not understand or cannot relate to. I am not saying that figure skating costumes are like high fashion, because they are not... but compared to many other sports, including for instance gymnastics and artistic swimming which both have "performance appeal" figure skating costumes are pretty much up there in the higher sphere of sport's high fashion.

I have always liked the less is more costumes because they allow to see the bodies of the athletes "at work". I do not mind more elaborate costumes either. However, there are a few that sometimes cross the lines... I think that it's not much the case this season... compared to previous seasons.

icewhite

Record Breaker
It shouldn't.

Costumes add to the pleasure of the viewer, that is, for about 90% of the figure skating viewers. Surely many don't understand them, especially the very, very casual viewers, but I doubt that the sport will attract more people without "real" costumes. It will lose more fans than it gains. I think a lot of people love to watch skating shows, just for the pleasure of the show, and costumes are a quite important part of those.
In my eyes the problem with costumes cannot be solved by rules, because the rules are totally fine. The real problem is the taste of skaters, coaches, costume makers, audience. Of course it's taste after all and how can you argue with that.
There are a lot of costumes that I find cheap-looking, stereotype, boring, simply plain, not fitting the program etc. Also especially women wear way too much the same type of costumes all the time. That's not coming from the rules. It's their decision. Should the rules force them to wear something else then? A mandatory costume would be better than the currently chosen one in one case and worse in the next one.
For me, it should definitely stay the decision of the individual.
All we can do is encourage skaters to wear cool, brave, exciting, interesting, different outfits that add to the program. And of course, to have exciting programs, giving some inspiration for such costumes, in the first place.

Regarding make-up: That's the one that bothers me a lot more, there's way too much make-up on many faces, there shouldn't be that pressure to look like they are lining up to be the next top model. But that's just society, I think in most sports athletes are now wearing a lot of make-up when they compete and there can't be a rule to hinder them.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
These days, in practice as much as performance, the skaters know, even hope, that they will end up as clickbait on Tiktok and other social media, which I think has driven the skimpier or more outrageous costumes (which were always there, but exposure is now an added bonus, look at the views some of them get online) and the makeup - which is a way of controlling how good or not they do look in the clickbait. And lotsa luck trying to formally regulate how much makeup is too much in officialese language.

Hell, if you want to standardise everything - as the sport is all and art is unsporting crowd seem to want to do - get rid of the music too and have them perform figures and jumps to a metronome. (And I say this as someone who loves costumes and music, but know most of my own favourite skaters look simply amazingly beautiful in UA/practice gear anyway, way more than the norm, so am happy to watch them in silence).

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
it's right, women wear a lot of make up, it isnt' fair! have men wear make up too! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: i love costumes, even the campier things out there, i see them as a plus in our sport, something that tells it apart form other sports. and don't forget art has a major part in this sport, make up and costumes are just other ways to express yourself or the feelings you wish to convey with your performance. casual viewers might not understand ballet tutus or why musicians in orchestras wear tuxedos. what should we do? have everyone dance in practice clothes and play music in jeans and shirts? let people have fun with costumes and don't worry, i'm here to bash them all :biggrin:

CrazyBiodegradableEasteuropeanshepherd.webp

Last edited:

ChiGal

Rinkside
I am really loving Bradie Tenell's short program costume...simple and sophisticated. Same for G Gold's green classic. I am so over the bedazzled and flourished to death costumes (looking at you, S. Korea and Japan). Some of the a-line dresses worn by the European ladies looked modern and classic too. I am not into the ice-princessy, fairies- and sprites, unicorns-and-rainbow costumes so in fashion with some senior skaters. Looks very juniorish IMHO. OK, off my soap box!

sworddance21

On the Ice
I think it's fine to wear whatever costume goes with the program, but I also believe that deductions should be taken when appropriate--Loena's SP dress is a perfect example--her butt cheeks are literally out there during her spins--just ugh. I love her but for the ton of money spent on the costume, it should fit well at a minimum...
Leona's cheeks are out for the world to see in whatever dress she wears. Shape of her body, cut of the leo to which the dress is attached. A longer skirt won't matter. And frankly there is a ton of butt cheek action on most of the pairs women as well. I like Loena's dresses. They match her style and she looks lovely. The butt cheek problem would be solved with a different cut to bottom of the leo - but most of the women could use that.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Leona's cheeks are out for the world to see in whatever dress she wears. Shape of her body, cut of the leo to which the dress is attached. A longer skirt won't matter. And frankly there is a ton of butt cheek action on most of the pairs women as well. I like Loena's dresses. They match her style and she looks lovely. The butt cheek problem would be solved with a different cut to bottom of the leo - but most of the women could use that.
An example from ice dance of what you are saying: it's not the skirt that is the problem, it's the leotard/shorts/underwear.

skimpy cotume bottom