Should ISU introduce mandatory costumes? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Should ISU introduce mandatory costumes?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A bottom like this would be the best. That's actually the only thing i would like to see mandatory.

Video's blocked - can you tell us who and when it was?

I am all for skaters being allowed to do their own thing, whether it's razzle-dazzle (I mean, does anyone think our viewing pleasure would be better without that faaaaaaaabulous snake dress of Madison's?) or some of the recent men's I-found-this-at-the-bottom-of-Great-Uncle-Albert's-wardrobe drabness (which by the OP's reasoning should have made the sport more appealing... no?)

It is true that when people are young, their fashion sense can sometimes be... dodgy, and not all of them have the looks/presence to carry it off. There always have been, always will be, howlers for the press to collect and show off (which is publicity, remember!) Yuzu all on his own did pretty much the whole spectrum from breathtakingly beautiful, literal museum pieces to wth-is-that (also museum pieces because it's Japan/Asia and he's who he is), and this despite the fact that he outshines in plain black UA as well. Same - at least the spectrum of costumes part - with Shoma. sometimes Kolyada and Jun and a few others, and some of the Russian and Korean girls and the ID women.

To be honest -? I'm against standardising for quite a few reasons, but one especially in this day and age is the clickbait I spoke of earlier. In this day and age, with the plethora of possible entertainments and so much competition online, any not-major sport wants anything and everything it has to attract attention. Costumes - even the weird ones, and certainly the good ones - do it, and with music, artistry, are all part of that. Why give all the visual appeal to shows and galas?

Last edited:

Montserrat

Spectator
Niina Petrokina. Short program's costume of this season.

I am all for skaters being allowed to do their own thing, whether it's razzle-dazzle (I mean, does anyone think our viewing pleasure would be better without that faaaaaaaabulous snake dress of Madison's?) or some of the recent men's I-found-this-at-the-bottom-of-Great-Uncle-Albert's-wardrobe drabness (which by the OP's reasoning should have made the sport more appealing... no?)

It is true that when people are young, their fashion sense can sometimes be... dodgy, and not all of them have the looks/presence to carry it off. There always have been, always will be, howlers for the press to collect and show off (which is publicity, remember!) Yuzu all on his own did pretty much the whole spectrum from breathtakingly beautiful, literal museum pieces to wth-is-that (also museum pieces because it's Japan/Asia and he's who he is), and this despite the fact that he outshines in plain black UA as well. Same - at least the spectrum of costumes part - with Shoma. sometimes Kolyada and Jun and a few others, and some of the Russian and Korean girls and the ID women.

To be honest -? I'm against standardising for quite a few reasons, but one especially in this day and age is the clickbait I spoke of earlier. In this day and age, with the plethora of possible entertainments and so much competition online, any not-major sport wants anything and everything it has to attract attention. Costumes - even the weird ones, and certainly the good ones - do it, and with music, artistry, are all part of that. Why give all the visual appeal to shows and galas?
I don't really understand why you are talking about the whole costume while i just talked about the cut of the bottom of the leo. I'm not for standardising costumes.

Last edited: