Ladies LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Medusa

Record Breaker
It's funny that the top three are also the only ones who fell.
But I have to say that the underrotations were relatively easy to spot this time, I didn't have any "why?"-moments, except perhaps for Mao's Flip fall.

And Rochette and Kostner just don't underrotate, it's their big advantage. If they got their act together for two programs at one big competition, they would be really competitive (well, only if Mao doesn't manage a clean program + the 2 Triple Axels).

Okami

On the Ice
Mao has nice transitions into most of the jumps except for 3As and planned 3-3. I highly doubt she'll ditch those jumps just to have more choreo... And it's not like the other skaters have any transitions before their highest difficulty jumps.
It needs to be remebered that she reworked her technique recently and is not as confident in her jumps yet. She'll surely skate with less caution when she gets comfortable with her jumps again.

Big congratulations to Mao for the well deserved win! :thumbsup: I hope the crowd won't lynch her...

I feel sad for Miki and Yukari. They made great progress in non-jump elements, but it's their jumps that hampered them this time... Still, Yukari is a late season bloomer and Miki just debuted her new LP, so I have faith that they will do better at Worlds (if, hopefully, they make the team. And two more spots for Fumie and Akiko, please...)

SusieH

On the Ice
The best skater should win, not the one that'll make the audience happiest. I'm sure Yu-Na would want to win fair and square, not be given scores just to please the audience.

I totally agree, and I think Yu-Na actually looked happy and relieved when she found out she was second and realized everything was finally over. This competition looked like such an ordeal to her (and to her mother, the poor lady who kept her head buried in her hands in the camera) :(

Anyway, I'm happy that the right skater won, and won fair and square. It was such a gorgeous performance from Mao today and such an intense program! How pretty those two 3As are! Shame on that stupid fall :scowl:

I also love Yu-Na's LP this year very much. Despite the fall and the pop, I actually felt she exuded even more emotions and performed more drama than she did in the previous two events (and I already liked her there very much). I personally totally agree with her higher PCS. I hope she can perform this program clean at the worlds :yes:

A little bit worried about her jumps though. Kind of unstable this season so far. Is it because Team Yu-Na deliberately wants her under-trained so she can peak at the worlds? I hope it is such a case *bless her* (<-- do we have a emoticon for blessing here? :) )

Last edited:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I think there needs to be a way to put more emphasis on non-jump elements in tech scores. The fact that a Level 1 spin compared to a Level 4 spin might only have a 1 point difference in base-value is something I find pretty ridiculous. Underrotation on a jump can cost you 5+ points with GOEs factored in, but something as wonky as Carolina's last spin will probably only cost you 1.5 tops. I think on the senior level, if a skater messes up a "level element" to the point that they only get a level 1 for it, it shouldn't be counted as an element at all and simply given a -1.

enlight78

Medalist
I think Mao 3A+2toe is more secure than her. 3F+3loop. Is it possible for her to do 3A+2t, 3ltz, 2A in the short. Congradulations to Mao, Yu-na, and Caro. I can't believe she did two 3A. The men better watch out.

ks777

Record Breaker
I totally agree, and I think Yu-Na actually looked happy and relieved when she found out she was second and realized everything was finally over. This competition looked like such an ordeal to her (and to her mother, the poor lady who kept her head buried in her hands in the camera) :(

Anyway, I'm happy that the right skater won, and won fair and square. It was such a gorgeous performance from Mao today and such an intense program! How pretty those two 3As are! Shame on that stupid fall :scowl:

I also love Yu-Na's LP this year very much. Despite the fall and the pop, I actually felt she exuded even more emotions and performed more drama than she did in the previous two events (and I already liked her there very much). I personally totally agree with her higher PCS. I hope she can perform this program clean at the worlds :yes:

A little bit worried about her jumps though. Kind of unstable this season so far. Is it because Team Yu-Na deliberately wants her under-trained so she can peak at the worlds? I hope it is such a case *bless her* (<-- do we have a emoticon for blessing here? :) )

Yes, I felt really really bad for Yuna's mom when Yuna fell. She reminded me of Kristi Yamaguchi's Mom. Kristi's mom used to do the same, cover up her eyes so she won't get nervous watching Kristi skate.

ks777

Record Breaker
I think Mao 3A+2toe is more secure than her. 3F+3loop. Is it possible for her to do 3A+2t, 3ltz, 2A in the short. Congradulations to Mao, Yu-na, and Caro. I can't believe she did two 3A. The men better watch out.

you mean Patrick?:p

yhhh2001

Rinkside
Is Mao Asada now the very first woman to land two Triple Axels in one program?!?

I think that Midori did it in 1992 in Paris.

ks777 said:
I love Yuna's program much better than Mao. She brins so much emotion to her skating. Saw her smile too but didn't see that from Mao.

It’s Masquerade. Mao is Nina, who is frightened by her husband, who is going to kill her out of jealousy. It's better not to expect her smile…

ks777

Record Breaker
I think that Midori did it in 1992 in Paris.

It’s Masquerade. Mao is Nina, who is frightened by her husband, who is going to kill her out of jealousy. It's better not to expect her smile…

Midori fell on her 1st 3axel so that doesn't count.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I agree. Mao would look silly smiling skating to such a dramatic program. Mao stayed right in character right up to the end. Love this program.

frozenhell

Rinkside
Where does 4CC take place? Is it same place for olympics? I have a feeling that 4cc will generate best competition. Neither Mao nor Yu Na had their best performances at GPF but hopefully they will be at peak during 4cc.
I don't know whether Mao will keep try 3F/3L combo. 3F/3L became virtually impossible to get ratified under current UR rule and will Mao keep taking risk?
I thought she would try 3F/3T in LP but she didn't, so I have no idea how reliable her 3F/3T is.

edeuse

Rinkside
I was impressed to see Yuna's program. even some jumps were shaky,
her program made this sports over a jumping competition, a real ART.

How touching her facial expression, every her movement and gesture creates its own artistic atmosphere. She captures everyone who starts to see her performance. She really deserves the highest PCS regardless of her jumps.

And one more, I could really see how Korean fans love figure skating, wish more YUNAs to them. :thumbsup:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
Where does 4CC take place? Is it same place for olympics? I have a feeling that 4cc will generate best competition. Neither Mao nor Yu Na had their best performances at GPF but hopefully they will be at peak during 4cc.
I don't know whether Mao will keep try 3F/3L combo. 3F/3L became virtually impossible to get ratified under current UR rule and will Mao keep taking risk?
I thought she would try 3F/3T in LP but she didn't, so I have no idea how reliable her 3F/3T is.

Mao was probably attempting the 3F-3T combination on her fall (she fell on the first 3F). Since her planned program elements included a 3F-3Lo and a 3F-3T, but her 3F-3Lo wasn't ratified in the SP, it's natural to assume that the beginning 3F-2Lo-2Lo was meant to replace the 3F-3Lo and Mao still planned to attempt the 3F-3T, but her fall made that impossible. I was actually surprised that she didn't attempt to tack on an extra 2T or 2Lo to another one of her jumps after the fall on the 3F, but then again, it was late in the program.

On a different note: I almost think it is a bit of a fun thing that Mao took home gold at the GPF this year. Now both Mao and Yu-Na will each have 2 Gold GPF medals going into the 2009-2010 Olympic season. It will be interesting to see who takes it next.

Last edited:

yunaddiction

Rinkside
Congratulation Mao! :clap::clap::clap:
Really impressive performance. great try of 3A.
Apparently the champion of tonight.

Yuna...
What can I say...
It's a life, isn't it?:)
You are still the greatest one on ice.

I only caught the Ladies except for Joannie

Miki. Those Morozov arms. I found myself getting hypnotized by them and did not see her actual skating. And they really don't suit her.

Carolina. For me is an imposter. i would prefer Caroline.

Yukari . She has the most beautiful centered spins in combo. I hope the scores say that.

Mao. She has the dullest waltz that keeps repeating itself driving me to boredom. Surely TT could have given her music which has changes of rhythm. Her music was like background music throughout. I believe Masquerade Waltz is used for chorus not soloists, like that other warhorse , Ravel's Bolero. Cmon Ladies, let's see how musical you really are.

Yuna
had her technical problems but she interpreted Rimsky Korsakov's gift to figure skating very well. I might say the best I've seen of Sheherazade.

As the sun sets on Seoul, we look forward to 4CC and Euros.

Okami

On the Ice
Really? I never was aware of the story behind Maquerade Waltz.

The "Masquerade Suite" was written as a soundtrack for Mikhail Lermontov's ballet "Masquerade". The synopsis can be found here: http://www.vmt.lt/en/pages/view/?id=42
There was also a Russian ballet movie based on the same story. I've watched it and it was really trippy, especially the final scene where Arbenin is torn by guilt after killing Nina and imagines himself being swept into a hellish dance to the rhythm of Masquerade Waltz as the ghost of his dead wife looks on...

I was actually surprised that she didn't attempt to tack on an extra 2T or 2Lo to another one of her jumps after the fall on the 3F, but then again, it was late in the program.

There was really no time do do so. Her 3T, 2A and flying combination spin follow each other too closely.

fourclover

On the Ice
Yay, my prediction came true. This was the first time I predicted anything on this board and I was right about Mao winning. Didn't see any of their skates yet. If Yu-na wants to beat Mao she can't leave anything to chance. She's gonna have to get in shape AND master her 3L OR maybe get to work on 3A.

Although I'm Yu-na's fan, one thing that annoys me about her or her media rep is they always use these lame excuses like, "Oh, Yu-na had cold", "Yu-na wasn't fully recovered from her injury", "The zealous crowd made me nervous", "Skating for the first time in Korea made me nervous", "Skating for the first time in America made me nervous", etc etc as if that explains her disappointing skate. The disappointing skate was due to the reasons stated in the first paragraph above not something else. It'll be interesting to see how the Olympics plays out because neither Mao nor Yu-na's been to the Olympics and both are going to be nervous. They can't use, "Oh, this is the first time in the Olympics and it made me nervous." Duh, it's first time for most people

I'd really love to see Yu-na get fitter and in shape by the Worlds next year. Such beautiful programs she has this year and it'd be a shame to tarnish it with mistakes. Same goes for Mao.

Last edited: