MK interviewed on Lakers - says she's training | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MK interviewed on Lakers - says she's training

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's why I said "if she's healthy and trained enough." It's all a big IF at this point. I'm just speculating, as is everyone else. Reliable posters on the MKF have reported that she is training jumps, and hasn't completely left them by the wayside. Obviously, if she feels she's healthy and trained enough, she won't be prancing out onto the ice jumping doubles in the hopes of making the Olympic team. Sheesh.

It's not Kwan's ability I doubt if she is indeed healthy and trained enough; however, there is a huge difference between practicing jumps at a home rink and including them into 2 COP friendly programs under the intense pressure of competition after a 4-5 year layoff. My response was more a reaction to the tone of your post which made it sound like Kwan could easily phone in her performances if she were to return and as you stated "easily surpass" the other US ladies. Granted, the US ladies are rusty and some have had unimpressive competitive results this season, but I think they deserve more credit and respect than you're giving them. A big "Sheesh" back to ya!

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I don't really care one way or the other if she decides to try for the Olympics because at this point in her career, I don't think it matters too much which decision she makes for herself. Her career is still so outstanding that not much can damage her record. I just miss seeing her skate period and I would be there in a heartbeat for whatever competition/exhibition she decided to do for a 'comeback' next year. I would love to see her compete again but honestly, to see her skate at all again would be a real treat. :)

Andalusia

Final Flight
It's not Kwan's ability I doubt if she is indeed healthy and trained enough; however, there is a huge difference between practicing jumps at a home rink and including them into 2 COP friendly programs under the intense pressure of competition after a 4 year layoff. My response was more a reaction to the tone of your post which made it sound like Kwan could easily phone in her performances if she were to return and as you stated "easily surpass" the other US ladies. Granted, the US ladies are rusty and some have had unimpressive competitive results this season, but I think they deserve more credit and respect than you're giving them. A big "Sheesh" back to ya!

Well, you misread the "tone" of my post then. I certainly don't think she can turn in programs like "Bolero" and hope to make the Olympic team - you'd have to be an idiot to think that. Obviously, she'd have to revert to the competitive stance she had back in the earlier days, and there's also no telling if the current crop would've improved by then. It is very unlikely, but if she manages to return to close to her competitive peak and pieces together an equally competitive program, I think she could challenge Caroline, Mirai, et al, all of whom have a whole host of problems. Joannie Rochette's jump content isn't as impressive as that of the top ladies and she's far from being inhumanely flexible, yet look how she's faring. Ditto Laura Lepisto and others. I do think MK's good basics and clean jumps would be rewarded judging from this season's results.

And "Sheesh" right back atcha, too!

Eurofan

On the Ice
Pulling a Katarina Witt is the last thing I'd want to see Kwan do. That would lower her in my estimation because I felt Witt's motives for reinstatement were pretty selfish. She knew she wouldn't medal, but she went ahead and took away Marina Kielmann's spot anyway. '94 was Kielmann's last chance at an Olympic medal, and I'm sure she wanted it. Witt wasn't going because she wanted to win, or because she was the best Germany had to offer in '94 (both Kielmann and Szewczenko had more than two triples in their respective arsenals); she was basically going for the fun of it. Because, on the strength of her reputation, she could, so S****ß' auf Marina.

End of rant.

As for how the US ladies fared this past season, it wasn't great, but it wasn't a complete disgrace, either. Meissner had a bad season. Czisny and Wagner did okay. Liang placed as usual. As far as I know, the others were making their debuts on the senior GP circuit. I don't consider the US ladies' field weak, especially when compared with other countries: Russia, France, Germany, Canada (Leung and Phaneuf) to name a few. The Finnish ladies seem to get stronger every year, but they're still beatable. Kostner's not infallible, either; Meier is injury-prone.

The US ladies still have a year to improve. They have the talent, the ability. It's not like the situation in, say, Romania, where Roxana Luca can win the national title with a total score of 96.15 because nobody else has been able to overtake her for the last decade. (And I don't mean that as a bash on Luca; I'm sure the Romanian Sports Fed. prefers to spend money on gymnasts.)

Which is all a long-winded way of saying that I have faith in the current crop of US ladies and to see Kwan come back just for the thrill of competition or to test her limits or whatever would (for me) be even worse than coming back to go for the gold and failing.

heyang

Record Breaker
All I can say is that if she's healthy and wants to compete she should go for it. Amber Corwin competed at Nationals for how many years and never won the title - she did it for the love of competition. So, if Michelle wants to have a last hurrah at Nationals and is healthy, she should go for it. I can only imagine how tickets sales would skyrocket. The lady also deserves a farewell performance after all she has done for figure skating.

With regards to COP, keep in mind that we never saw the programs created for Torino. From various reports, it seems as though there was a lot of work put into increasing the levels of her spirals and spins, etc.

heyang

Record Breaker
and if she happens to win a trip to Vancouver, it'll be icing on the cake IMO. As long as the judging is fair and she deserves her place on the team, I'm not going to complain. If anything, the pressure at an Oly's might be less than prior years because she is not the favorite. Oh, well, I can dream, can't I?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Amber Corwin competed at Nationals for how many years and never won the title - she did it for the love of competition.

How do we know that? Even if she said this herself, I'm not sure I'd buy it 100%.

Well, you misread the "tone" of my post then. I certainly don't think she can turn in programs like "Bolero" and hope to make the Olympic team - you'd have to be an idiot to think that...
Oh, I’m not so sure of that at all. If we are talking about U.S. skaters, Michelle’s one and only skate of Bolero in international competition (2005 Worlds) would totally crush anything any U.S. lady has put on the ice this year. For both programs she got 175.20 CoP points.

Here are the season’s best for the top U.S. skaters.

Flatt, 166.06
Czisny 157.92
Zhang 156.54
Gilles 144.49
Musademba 143.62
Nagasu 142,90
Leang 142.12
Hacker 139.46
Dobbs 139.44
Meissner 135.92
Bulanhagui 127.25
Secundy 123.12
Rizo 117.29
Hughes 115.45

As for Michelle "taking someone's spot on the olympic team," if the 2010 Nationals podium is Kwan, Flatt, Czisny, whose spot is she taking? If you want to go to the Olympics, skate better.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
if the 2010 Nationals podium is Kwan, Flatt, Czisny, whose spot is she taking? If you want to go to the Olympics, skate better.

Perhaps, but if you are unable to compete, and given a bye, that's a different story in itself...

tarotx

On the Ice
We should be able to see Michelle before nationals if she plans to compete there. She won't have a bye to us championships unless they create one for her. Michelle wouldn't get a bye to Olympic team 2010. She didn't skate in the previous worlds to create the 3rd spot the way she did for the Olympics in 2006.

Michelle is at the beginning of her journey to see if she can get into competitive shape. It's going to be real hard work but that shouldn't be a problem for her. Her main issue is her hip and how much it's able to give her. A healthy Kwan can get all her jumps back and work on COP related stuff in the next few months and then she can evaluate rather or not she has what it takes to achieve whatever she has deemed her goal to be.

champs

Final Flight
I wonder if she's been skating by herself lately or there is some coach or a physical trainer supervising her.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well first international comp under COP she did just miss out on a bronze medal (at world's) due to a weak first round skate so... Now perhaps on the international scene, a medal would be a stretch but at Nat's.....

Agreed. If she did come back she would be in the understanding that chances of making the olympic team would be small, unless USFSA gave her a bye. As much as we love Michelle, she did have a flutz, no 3/3 as of late and last time her spins were not up to CoP par (but of course that could change).

I wish her the best whatever she decides to do.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just love the _ _ _ _ that the Kween stirs up anytime contemplation of her possible return rears it's lovely head! :rofl: It's simply DELICIOUS! :biggrin:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
In the first place it shocks me that Michelle would make such a comment at a Laker's game. Weird!

I just don't see how she would be cheating any other skater out of a place on the U.S. team if she were to come back and win a spot. Unless, like some say, she is given a bye which doesn't seem likely. Michelle was an awesome competitor so I wouldn't try to predict her chances of getting back on the team. More power to her if she can do it. I agree with the other poster who said "let the other U.S. ladies try to beat her".

As far as injuries go....this is Michelle's call and her health to risk. She is a smart lady who is old enough to make her own decisions. Since I believe she is smart, it's unlikely that she will show up at a competition with programs that are not up to COP standards. Have a little faith that she will make a good decision for herself.

Dizzy

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Oh, I’m not so sure of that at all. If we are talking about U.S. skaters, Michelle’s one and only skate of Bolero in international competition (2005 Worlds) would totally crush anything any U.S. lady has put on the ice this year. For both programs she got 175.20 CoP points.

Here are the season’s best for the top U.S. skaters.

Flatt, 166.06
Czisny 157.92
Zhang 156.54
Gilles 144.49
Musademba 143.62
Nagasu 142,90
Leang 142.12
Hacker 139.46
Dobbs 139.44
Meissner 135.92
Bulanhagui 127.25
Secundy 123.12
Rizo 117.29
Hughes 115.45

As for Michelle "taking someone's spot on the olympic team," if the 2010 Nationals podium is Kwan, Flatt, Czisny, whose spot is she taking? If you want to go to the Olympics, skate better.

:clap: my thoughts exactly.:rock:

Dont get me wrong, I adore Mirai, Caroline, Bebe & Alissa and would love to see them compete at an Olympics. Plus I dont think Michelle or Sasha should get a bye to the Olympics. However if they are competing at Nationals and you think they are taking "your" spot for the Olympic team...beat them in competition.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Methinks people are getting their hopes up waayyy too quickly. Although I actually think a Cohen comeback is more likely than an MK one, that's not saying much because the odds are stacked against both of them. We've resorted to living in the past again instead of examining the present. The '09 US Nats is two weeks away and neither skater will be there. So...next?

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle

I don't see this happening. She is too old, out of condition, and untrained to be competitive with the top three. I don't want to see a Katerina Witt type scenario, which was not great. Besides which, her old injury could raise its ugly head if she pounds that hip. Surgery fixes problems but may not prevent further injury to the same joint.

kalle

On the Ice
I have always beleived that Kwan wanted to attempt a comeback and I am happy it is "official" :agree:

She seemed very positive after her surgery and has finished her studies (at least for the time being) so why not give it a try?
She has this mental powerness that only a few athelets have and I am sure she will not show up at Regionals (I beleive that is were she needs to "start"?) if she is not in top shape with 2 COP friendly programs in her arsenal...

I think it is simple, she loves competition and always will..

The only question mark is "if" she can get back in shape but I am sure we will now after the summer if the outcome is what she hoped for.

I beleive she will try to 100% and as an old "kwanfan" I respect her decision and I will keep my fingers crossed as I have been doing for more than a decade.
She is "the one" that made me fall in love in skating and the only one that can make me "teary" with a few strokes and some expressive arm movements..and those landing edges..gosh, I am getting sentimental!

Anyway, good luck to her and also to Sasha if she is serious too..

In the first place it shocks me that Michelle would make such a comment at a Laker's game. Weird!
Nah, it's not weird at all. If you look at what Michelle actually said, she said the same thing that she has said in evey interview in every venue and every circumstance for the last ten years:

"We'll see." :)