Junior Ice Dance - CD at 4:30 EST | Golden Skate

Junior Ice Dance - CD at 4:30 EST

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Starting Order

The CD for this competition is the paso doble.

1 Anastasia Cannuscio / Colin McManus
University of Delaware FSC / SC of Boston

2 Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani
SC of New York / Arctic FSC

3 Brittany Marshall / Ashley Deavers
Atlanta FSC / Birmingham FSC

4 Charlotte Lichtman / Dean Copely
Arctic FSC / All Year FSC

5 Elyse Matsumoto / Patrick Mays
Peninsula SC / Ann Arbor FSC

6 Sara Bailey / Kyle Herring
University of Delaware FSC / University of Delaware FSC

7 Rachel Tibbetts / Collin Brubaker
Broadmoor SC / All Year FSC

8 Shannon Wingle / Timothy McKernan
Arctic FSC / Broadmoor SC

9 Isabella Cannuscio / Ian Lorello

10 Madison Chock / Greg Zuerlein
All Year FSC / Arctic FSC

11 Alison Carey / Daniel Donigan
SC of Boston / All Year FSC

12 Chloe Wolf / Rhys Ainsworth

13 Piper Gilles / Zachary Donohue
Broadmoor SC / Broadmoor SC

14 Katie Wyble / Justin Morrow
Center Ice & Blades of Western Pennsylvania / All Year FSC

Last edited:

kate

On the Ice
I hope Maia Shibutani manages to grow soon. They are both fabulous dancers and they're great together, but the height difference means that Alex has to bend over at the waist to get the correct hold for the CDs.

london_calling

On the Ice
I hope Maia Shibutani manages to grow soon. They are both fabulous dancers and they're great together, but the height difference means that Alex has to bend over at the waist to get the correct hold for the CDs.

Same here, I keep hoping to see she has grown at least a foot.

london_calling

On the Ice
Sara Bailey & Kyle Herring: both go down with a hard fall! They had been doing so well, I feel really bad for them right now.

Alicja

On the Ice
Is anybody watching and willing to give some comments on how the comp has been so far? I'd really appreciate that...

london_calling

On the Ice
Rachel Tibbetts & Collin Brubaker
Her costume is weird. Dance looked pretty good but my expertise in CD is almost noexistent.
Into 2nd.

london_calling

On the Ice
Shannon Wingle & Timothy McKernan
Strong and secure. Really enjoyed watching them until my feed died out. 2nd place with 28.92. Feed still not back...argh.

london_calling

On the Ice
Isabella Cannuscio & Ian Lorello
Well done. Nothing more to add really except her costume is burning my retinas.
4th place, 27.58.

Alicja

On the Ice
Thanks for giving some updates...
I'm like mesmerized looking at the Live scoring, I need someone to tell me that there's a lot of things I should do instead...

kate

On the Ice
Is anybody watching and willing to give some comments on how the comp has been so far? I'd really appreciate that...

It's really difficult to do a PBP for CDs -- especially the Paso. I do have a lot of dance expertise and wouldn't even attempt to guess at the scores for CDs at this level. At regionals/sectionals you tell the good from the bad, but at this level, barring any major mistakes, it's pretty hard to tell. Especially for the Paso, which is a relatively easy dance for juniors.

london_calling is doing a pretty good job though!

Alicja

On the Ice
It's really difficult to do a PBP for CDs -- especially the Paso. I do have a lot of dance expertise and wouldn't even attempt to guess at the scores for CDs at this level. At regionals/sectionals you tell the good from the bad, but at this level, barring any major mistakes, it's pretty hard to tell. Especially for the Paso, which is a relatively easy dance for juniors.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of PBP(although I really appreciate it!!)...just some general stuff like costumes, expression, interpretation etc. More feelings than facts!

oleada

Record Breaker
Watched the first two groups. Shibutanis were good, as expected, with nice interpretation, but I agree that their size difference is a problem - he bends over to be able to get into the hold and there is more of a gap than other teams at their level. However, they're easily in first. Bailey/Herring had a bad fall - she slipped and took him down with her. They were doing ok until then. Of the other teams I enjoyed, Matsumoto/Mays and Wingle/McKernan. The first had a lot of attitude, nice arm movements and a lot of precision! W/M had a nice lightness to their skating.

As for costumes, Isabella Cannuscio and Rachel Tibbets take the price for most outrageous costumes so far:laugh: Honorary mention to Shannon Wingle.

london_calling

On the Ice
Madison Chock / Greg Zuerlein
Strong skate from them. Good expression from her, he's lacking there.
Not surprisingly, into 1st place.

kate

On the Ice
Carey/Donigan: he just went down on the end pattern and they were separated for a long time. Other than that not very good ice coverage. She had a great red dress though that actually looked Spanish as opposed to much of what the girls have been wearing.

london_calling

On the Ice
Missed Wolf/Ainsworth's skate but did see her costume. Barely there with lots of that illusion fabric. Not very flattering at all.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Final results

Paso Doble

1 Chock Zuerlein 32.90
2 Shibutanis 31.98
3 Gilles Donohue 29.50
4 Wingle McKernan 28.92
5 Tibbetts Brubaker 28.54
6 Wyble Morrow 28.14
7 Wolf Ainsworth 27.67
8 Cannuscio Lorello 27.58
9 Matsumoto Mays 26.68
10 Lichtman Copely 26.06
11 Cannuscio McManus 25.49
12 Bailey Herring 24.86
13 Marshall Deavers 23.11
14 Carey Donigan 17.51

Comments and descriptions in order of skate:

1 Anastasia Cannuscio / Colin McManus
University of Delaware FSC / SC of Boston

New couple - 3 (133.89) at Eastern Sectionals

He's in a bullfighter outfit. She's in an orange and black flamenco outfit with a sequinned orange butterfly on her bust,

CD score : TES14.29 pcs 11.20 total 25.49

2 Maia Shibutani / Alex Shibutani
SC of New York / Arctic FSC

4th at JGPF, 1st JGP Courchevel, 2nd JGP Madrid Best total score: 163.56 Madrid

Black lace dress with crinolines. Very Spanish. Maia's working the arrogant attitude thing. Alex in black pants with a white shirt with black thin trim along side the closing. Nice crossrolls. Crisp.

CD: score: TES 18.04 PCS 13.94 Total 31.98

3 Brittany Marshall / Ashley Deavers
Atlanta FSC / Birmingham FSC

Black modified bullfighter outfit with red cummerbund. Black top with red skirt.- top is rather underwear like. Shallow edges, and they were tight. Not a good dance.

3rd at Midwesterns: 3 (107.96)

CD: 13.29 PCS 9.89 Total 23.11

4 Charlotte Lichtman / Dean Copely
Arctic FSC / All Year FSC

2nd at Midwesterns: 2 (126.98)

black long sleeved outfit with a red undershirt. She's in black lace with a red underskirt that bunches rather unattractively between her legs. All in all, not a bad performance, though. pretty good speed and edges.

CD: TES: 15.17 PCS 10.89 Total 26.06

5 Elyse Matsumoto / Patrick Mays
Peninsula SC / Ann Arbor FSC

7th in novices last year.
First at Pacific Sectionals: 1 (139.83)

They're both in black with little bits of red trim. The distance between them was very variable.

CD: TES: 15.33 PCS: 11.35 Total: 26.68

6 Sara Bailey / Kyle Herring

6th at Belarus JGP, 4th at Mexico JGP
2nd at Eastern Sectionals 2 (146.65)

He has an overwide black and red horizontal striped cummerband. Her dress is hot, though. They had a horrible disruptive fall in the second iteration. :(

TES 14.73 PCS 12.13 Total 24.86 Ded -1.00

7 Rachel Tibbetts / Collin Brubaker
Broadmoor SC / All Year FSC
5th at Sheffield JGP, 6th at Madrid JGP
2nd at Midwesterns: 2 (141.09)

She's a burnt orange cape- she has a large piece of fabric flapping around on her arm. Otherwise the dress looks like an mideastern belly dance outfit somehow. He's a matador.

TES 16.07 PCS 12.47 total 28.54

8 Shannon Wingle / Timothy McKernan
Arctic FSC / Broadmoor SC

7th at Czech JGP
First at Midwestern sectionals: 1 (142.53)

Very ungainly finishing pose. And not at all crisp. He's wearing a v neck black jump suit and she has a huge floral pattern (like a bad rug) on the top with the usually black lace skirt.

Tes 16.37 PCS 12.55 Total 28.92

9 Isabella Cannuscio / Ian Lorello

First at Eastern Sectionals 1 (148.35)

5th at JGP Merano Italy, 4th Belarus JGP

Quite a nice dance, quite sharp. Dreadful dress- peach and orange skirt with an orange bikini top with black straps.

TES 15.45 PCS 12.13 Total 27.58

1st JGPF
1st JGP Merano, 1st Sheffield
Best score (168.08) in Sheffield

He has the oddest matador's jacket I have seen yet. It has 4 large sunflowers on it, on each shoulder, front and back. The jacket itself is some kind of gold brocade thing. Madison's dress is lovely - red again though

Good speed and deep edges

TES 18.44 PCS 14.45 Total 32.90

11 Alison Carey / Daniel Donigan
SC of Boston / All Year FSC

4th Pacific sectionals 4 (121.10)

Terrible disruptive fall on the first iteration.

TES 10.06 PCS 8.45 Total 17.51

12 Chloe Wolf / Rhys Ainsworth

Last Year's novice champions
9th at Courchevel JGP
4th at Eastern sectionals 4 (130.26)

He has a very ornate Matador's outfit. She has a dreadful red lace dress with what appears to be an anatomical drawing of her stomach & esophagus on it in illusion fabric.

Unison slightly off, leglines not quite matching.

TES 16.29 PCS 11.38 Total 27.67

13 Piper Gilles / Zachary Donohue
Broadmoor SC / Broadmoor SC

2nd at JGP South Africa; 1st at Czech JGP
Best score at Czech JGP (159.30)
They qualified for the JGPF but were injured and so did not compete there.

She has a large red heart shaped top of her dress with faux straps of the shoulder and a very short flamenco skirt.

I found the extra movements they put in the dance rather awkward, particular a high knee step she was doing. I would not have scored this dance as high as the judges did.

TES 16.80 PCS 12.70 Total 29.50

14 Katie Wyble / Justin Morrow
Center Ice & Blades of Western Pennsylvania / All Year FSC

3rd at Pacific Sectionals 3 (122.99)

Black lace over very gold material. He's in a matador outfit with a very gold cummerband. The dress does not flatter her. There was nothing either very bad or good about this dance.

TES 16.35 PCS 11.79 Total 28.14

Last edited:

kasiaavery

Rinkside
Thanks so much for the wonderful comments dorispulaski!
Will you be continuing your coverage for the rest of the Jr. dance competition? Please say so! :)

missysays

On the Ice

1st JGPF
1st JGP Merano, 1st Sheffield
Best score (168.08) in Sheffield

He has the oddest matador's jacket I have seen yet. It has 4 large sunflowers on it, on each shoulder, front and back. The jacket itself is some kind of gold brocade thing. Madison's dress is lovely - red again though

If it's the jacket he wore earlier in the season then it's a jacket with ice dance "history." It looks like the matador jacket worn by Charlie White at the 2006 Nationals and according to CW it was a jacket passed down from Jerod Swallow.

Ahhh- the small world of Detroit male ice dancers. :biggrin: