Mens' LP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

Mens' LP

Mafke

Medalist
And while we are at that we should re-title competition to " Singles Ice Dancing". It's about transitions and choreography these days.

Well I do think the ISU should get with the program and start sponsoring Solo Ice Dance events (roller skating has had solo dance at the world championships for a couple years now).

I also find it ineresting that you think a good way to insult the men is comparing them to ladies. I've said that CoP creates the impression that the ladies event is a pale inferior imitation of the mens event (not a good strategy for a sport that depends on female audiences). Thanks for confirming it!

bekalc

Record Breaker
I also find it ineresting that you think a good way to insult the men is comparing them to ladies. I've said that CoP creates the impression that the ladies event is a pale inferior imitation of the mens event (not a good strategy for a sport that depends on female audiences). Thanks for confirming it!

Really pale? I don't know about that. Mao Asada's goal is two triple axels and 2 3/3's in the long program for the Olympics. Something our male current world and silver medalists didn't do :rock:

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
However, I will give [Patrick Chan] the benefit of the doubt because the more I think of it, the more I suspect that he was encouraged in this by Skate Canada officials...

I do not understand what Skate Canada would gain by encouraging Patrick to act like a fool and bring a ton of criticism down on himself.

Over confident? No quad in sight from Patrick? To stir up the skating since Johnny vs. Evan has broken?:laugh:

oxade21

Match Penalty
Well I do think the ISU should get with the program and start sponsoring Solo Ice Dance events (roller skating has had solo dance at the world championships for a couple years now).

They already doing it, example last night.

I am not insulting men, I am praising women.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really pale? I don't know about that. Mao Asada's goal is two triple axels and 2 3/3's in the long program for the Olympics. Something our male current world and silver medalists didn't do :rock:

It may be her goal, but can she possibly execute all of that content under this intense pressure? The risk only pays off if you can back up the quantity with quality execution. We shall see.

piano4112000

Rinkside
I find it funny that there are some people who still argue about artistry. Everyone's taste is different. We are not going to all agree with each other when it comes to taste. Who are you to say one person is better when it comes to artistry because again it is subjective. Think back to when you were in school and you had to read a poem for class, your teacher tells you to dissect it and explain what you think it means. How many people in that one class are going to interpret the poem differently, a lot believe me.

When a viewer watches a skater skate to a certain music we too dissect it and believe me everyone is going to have an opinion. You might like it and you might not. You might like all the arm waving and you might not. you might see the arm waving as necessary to the tone or the beat of a particular section and you might not.

This comparing Brain and Evan on who is more artistic is really ridiculous because again not everyone sees it the same way. I watched both performances and they were both great in their own way and what I mean by that is that they were both able to convey the music well but that is only my opinion and that doesn't make it wrong or right. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone who is more artistic because no one see things black and white, it is always gray, that is why there is such a thing as fans. We fans like a certain skater because we just do and it might also be why certain fans hate other skaters.

I hate banana split but my friends swear to me its the best. I love ribs but my mom hates them and I love I LOVE LUCY show but my brother thinks it's stupid and unfunny but that doesn't make him right or me wrong. (Believe me his crack about I Love Lucy did make me love him a little less though :) )

Lets give credit where credit is due and congratulation to the winner for skating well. :)

Last edited:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just realized that the PJ Kwong curse holds. She chose Patrick as the winner, and of course he didn't win!

I've said that CoP creates the impression that the ladies event is a pale inferior imitation of the mens event...

I hadn't thought of it that way before, but yes, it does do that. :eek:

If you watch a men's competition and then a ladies', they basically do the same thing, only the men are much better at it. Sort of like watching boys basketball versus girls' basketball.

Maybe the eventual result will be that the boys will run the girls off the playground and figure skating, like basketball, will become a boys' sport again, as it was 100 years ago.

piano4112000 said:
I love I LOVE LUCY show but my brother thinks it's stupid and unfunny...

Some things are a matter of opinion and taste, but others are absolute. I Love Lucy is funny! You are right, your brother is wriong. ;)

Gilligan's Island, now...

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I just realized that the PJ Kwong curse holds. She chose Patrick as the winner, and of course he didn't win!
Siberia, we've been over this before: the only force stronger than PJ is Nobu's worthy ancestor. Since she did not pick Oda, it was clear that the curse would hold.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Siberia, we've been over this before: the only force stronger than PJ is Nobu's worthy ancestor.

I know, I just kinda forgot about it until now. Boy, her hex is SCARY!!! :eek:

Final Flight
i was there.
highlights:
- denis ten aka "baby" - loves him
- evan's welcome and standing O
- i died after joubert..

p.s. lambiel was there i was about 7 seats away, he sat with the french team (dance mostly) with....trankov (random) he left right after joubert's score.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So is anyone sending 3 men to the olymics next year, and who is sending 2?

3 spots:
Japan
USA

2 spots:
Canada
Czech Republic
France
Italy
Kazakhstan
Russia

ballerynna

Rinkside
Tatiana choreographes Brian's 04/05 programs (1492 and BMG). Althought they haven't worked together since, Tatiana ADORES Brian. I doubt that they'll work together again though.

If they worked together again... I shudder to think of the costumes Brian would wear :eek:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
p.s. lambiel was there i was about 7 seats away, he sat with the french team (dance mostly) with....trankov (random) he left right after joubert's score.

OMG! Stephane sitting with Maxim . . . how I would have loved to been there to witness such beauty. :love: It's a heat wave in March, for sure. :bow::bow:

screech

Final Flight
What would be figure skating without Brian. He deserve a medal in Vancouver 2010.
He deserves a medal if he skates well enough to earn one at the particular competition.

I actually thought until that 2a Brian was going to win. And I would have been happy because he would have skated for it. I have absolutely no complaints about the medalists because I thought they skates for their placements - Evan was flawless with pizzaz, Chan had some flaws but didn't let them interfere and kept everything else going great (and what he did do was awesome). Brian had the energy and was doing great, but he was thinking too much during the program and that might have been what cost him. But all men deserved medals because they were the 3 best men in the world last night.

Hsuhs, the last thing Brian should do is go to Lori Nichol. He just needs to find someone who can put together a program that plays to his strengths. Not Kurt Browning, sadly - I think, from some of Kurt's comments this week, that something went very wrong there. Hmm, maybe Brian should give Stannick Jeanette a call? They're as different as two skaters can be but I'm sure Stannick has loads of original ideas. Or maybe he should go to an ice dance choreographer. He can ask some of his teammates to refer him to someone.
Maybe to please Patrick he should give Jeff Buttle a call.

Joubert has NEVER "brought that". The most he's ever done is 2 Quads and 7 Triples in a program. He hasn't even done multiple Quads in a program in over 2 years.
Actually, was it 2006 or 2007 COR - he did 3 brilliant quads and nailed the rest of his program.

Are we facing a real danger of having a quad-less Olympic Champion next year?

Yes, but some (like me) don't see it as a 'danger.' I like that it's not all about the quad. As I've said, some say that programs are easier now than 10 years ago. No they aren't, they're 100x harder. They just don't include as many quads. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority), I'd rather see a complex and well skated program than a quadfest. The sport isn't all about one jump.

Again, I may be in the minority, but I thought it was an exciting event. I kept predicting a different winner. I thought Verner would be ahead of Chan until the last doubled triple. Then Lysacek came out and wowed. Then Joubert could have had it until that double axel... then I didn't know who would be 2nd or 3rd... I didn't know the outcome until it was announced. And I thought that overall it was a great night of skating.

Personally, I hope we see an event so unpredictable at the Olympics next year. And again, count me in the minority, but if judges don't look at his 'name,' I think Plushy has his work cut out for him.

Kick the Plushy in the Tushy!