Mens' LP | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Mens' LP

Everyone is lucky that Verner couldn't keep up the pace of the first half of his program. If he had, Tomas would be the World Champion and everyone else would have to move down a notch. :)

screech

Final Flight
Everyone is lucky that Verner couldn't keep up the pace of the first half of his program. If he had, Tomas would be the World Champion and everyone else would have to move down a notch. :)

I completely agree. Heck, until that 2f he had guaranteed himself a silver as he would have DEFINITELY been ahead of Patrick if he nailed a triple.

enlight78

Medalist

After Verner hit the second triple axel I thought he was going to win it all. I wish Tomas would stop tricking me.

screech

Final Flight
After Verner hit the second triple axel I thought he was going to win it all. I wish Tomas would stop tricking me.

He's saving it for Vancouver. Actually, to me, if Patrick doesn't win in Vancouver (I know, I'm in the minority), I want Tomas to win. He completely won me over this year. I wouldn't mind a tie for gold. With Nobu getting the bronze.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm beginning to wonder if it's SC or Chan's own idea after all, because he was still complaining about the judging after the event. I find his behavior really off-putting and I wonder if the judges next season won't feel the same. He needs to stop bitching and start skating programs with over 70 base value.

The article quotes Sonia Bianchetti in support of his point. Since Sonia never met a complaint about the IJS she didn't like, I'm not impressed.

Agree that everyone was lucky Verner didn't skate a great second half, he can be amazing and is really one of the most complete skaters around. If anyone was underscored in the SP, BTW, it was the lovely Tomas. :frown:

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Ugh, as a Canadian I'm getting quite annoyed by all these *judging konspiracy* articles coming from the Canadian press. I mean, Chan won the silver over Joubert. I'm not even a Joubert fan, but all this Joubert-bashing is just getting ridiculous. What are they trying to do, strip Joubert of the bronze and give it to Chan instead? It's just not classy to kick someone when they're down; Buttle refused to do it and he had much more right to do so, since Joubert had directly addressed him in his complaints last year.

As for Sonia Bianchetti, she is hardly the voice of objectivity, but I for one is glad that she pointed out that Lysacek too had generous padding on his PCS. I find it strange that both Chan and the Canadian media have no problem with Lysacek, whose programs are as empty as Joubert's.

Anyways, Tomas Verner for 2010 Olympic and World gold!!! That should shut everyone up.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
It's just not classy to kick someone when they're down; Buttle refused to do it and he had much more right to do so, since Joubert had directly addressed him in his complaints last year.

Anyways, Tomas Verner for 2010 Olympic and World gold!!! That should shut everyone up.
Well, Brian's been my guy to cheer for since Yagudin retired, but Tomas for the podium, by all means! :)

I heard Johnny was interviewed during the ladies' SP and said he was really proud of Evan - but quite jealous! ;)

ETA: I just noticed there was a seprate thread re Chan's latest comments, so I'll drop the discussion of it here.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I've noticed two (tech) inaccuracies in that article:

Chan, skating to Rachmaninov, had one discernable error when he turned a triple loop into a double.

I had no idea the 3A+1T combo in Chan's FS was actually planned as such.

and:

Joubert's program was unremarkable, ending with a spectacular face plant on a triple Axel that nearly sent him into the boards.

Why would Joubert go for a 3rd triple Axel?

Danale

On the Ice
He just needs to find someone who can put together a program that plays to his strengths. Not Kurt Browning, sadly - I think, from some of Kurt's comments this week, that something went very wrong there.
Or maybe he should go to an ice dance choreographer. He can ask some of his teammates to refer him to someone.

Just curious, what comments were made by Kurt? I assumed they stopped working together because Kurt wanted to reduce his work load ...
And re ice dance choreographer - I think Brian had enough from Platov - no?

ETA: Verner is truly a full-package skater, but he needs to work (mostly mentally) on being consistent and not falling apart after the first mistake. This is matial a champion is made of. And we'd all be there cheering for him!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Just curious, what comments were made by Kurt? I assumed they stopped working together because Kurt wanted to reduce his work load ...
And re ice dance choreographer - I think Brian had enough from Platov - no?
Actually, I adressed both questions already, but it's such a long thread I can see how the answers would be hard to find :biggrin:. So: Kurt was very lukewarm about Brian, and I gather he was quite snarky about the SP - which I feel he wouldn't have been had they been on better terms.

Re choreo, there are other ice dance choreographers besides Platov than Joubert could try. Some of his ice dancer teammates have great choreography, so maybe he should chat with them about recommendations on the flight back. Or he could talk to Stannick Jeanette, who I understand is getting into choreography himself. They're very different skaters but maybe Stannick can come up with something fun for him.

Danale

On the Ice
Thanks Buttercup!
It has been a long thread! (Isn't it great though?)
Weird about Kurt and Brian, and too bad IMO. Oh well ... I guess I'll add it to the little piece of me that died watching Brian's face after the LP, and hope he organizes next season better.

viv

On the Ice
I'm watching the LP now and I think Oda was crying because he realized that he gave away a medal?Don't think theses are tears of joy. That nearly breaks my heart.

Yes, I think so too. Just after his program he thought that he had shot himself near the podium (at least), and then Morozov told him he went Zayak. I'm heartbroken too.
BTW, somebody wrote here (don't find the quote now) that he did this the third time in a row. Is that true? At which competitions?

Medusa

Record Breaker
BTW, somebody wrote here (don't find the quote now) that he did this the third time in a row. Is that true? At which competitions?
Worlds 2007, long program
3Lz*+2T* 0.00 0.00 - - - - - - - - - - - - 0.00

Worlds 2006, long program
3F*+2T* 0.0 0.00 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0.00

And now, Worlds 2009, long program
3F*+2T*+2Lo* * 0.00 0.00 - - - - - - - - - - - - 0.00

SusieH

On the Ice
And Takahashi did the same thing last year at worlds! What was wrong with those Japanese men? Someone must teach them how to count! I swear I'll go nuts if any of the big three makes the same mistake again at the olympics :p

Well, at least Japan has secured the three tickets to Vancouver (just barely, but still). It would be such a shame if any of them has to stay at home and watch the olympics on TV. Glad it didn't turn out that way.

viv

On the Ice
Worlds 2007, long program, Worlds 2006, long program, And now, Worlds 2009, long program

Ok, it was not "in a row" this season - I just wondered, regarding how high he scored at Nationals. Oh well, he should have known it by now, stupid boy.
I loved his performance, though, but seeing how he banged his fist on his chest before he started made me fear that he had too much adrenalin in his blood from the beginning, in the SP as well as in the LP.

Medusa

Record Breaker
By the way, what happened to Mishin? Is the guy not good in skating politics? Lutai 60 points PCS? Seriously? I thought a Quad does some things to your PCS and Lutai landed a good Quad and like 7 Triples. And he has lovely skating skills. I admit, he needs some confidence, perhaps a bit more power... But he has even an American COP-choreographer, that should count for something!

Maybe the judges will be more impressed now, Top Ten at Worlds - and both at Worlds and at Europeans good long programs with Quad and 7 Triples.

But anyway, how about some huge lobbying for Lutai over the summer, Mishin? A 70 on PCS should be a lot more pleasant.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I think Mishin is sitting at home waiting for Plushenko to call about the comeback :p

Well, he shouldn't. Lutai could be really good some day. I mean, he already is good. But he could be an exceptional skater. Now he hits world class TES with 75 points and didn't get anywhere near the top because of abysmal PCS.

Mishin should ask Moskvina how she did it, they train at the same rink, don't they? Because somehow K/S got the second highest PCS at Worlds, and I love their skating, I really do. They are adorable and so cute! But more PCS than Pang / Tong? Moskvina did a damn good job!

Danale

On the Ice
K/S ARE adorable and Tamara did a great job! But that's a different thread ...
I read in a article a while ago TT talking about the Russian youngsters for single skating, how they have real potential and need to mature. I'm hoping she's right.
If only to have strong Russian skaters to take the North American hit from the French. But that's a different thread too :)