Mao Asada's SP backup plan | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada's SP backup plan

skatingpunk

Rinkside
Mao's "B" plan should be her "A" plan. With her PCS marks, she could score 70. She should gamble with the 3A in the LP only.

The horse had 2 breaths left. I believe it is now in horse heaven.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Mao's "B" plan should be her "A" plan. With her PCS marks, she could score 70. She should gamble with the 3A in the LP only.

The horse had 2 breaths left. I believe it is now in horse heaven.

I'd be shocked if she gets a 70 with plan B, but she could get a 65-68 if she's on. Joannie has a 3lz in her SP and her PCS are usually higher than Mao's and she only got a 70 once at SC where her scores were obviously inflated. Joannie also has really high GOEs which I'm not sure Mao will get, on her 2a she should get good GOEs, but on the loop and flip I'm not so sure. Miki can get above a 65 with a 3-2 though so I bet Mao can too, 70 is pushing it though, especially because Mao tends to make silly mistakes in the SP.

Even without knowing Japanese, this segment is charming. I know it's not part of this topic, but Shizuka looks totally gorgeous--almost majestic.

It must be so hard for Asada and Kim right now. The pressure must be up to blast-furnace level for both. I just hope that both ladies do their absolute best, so they have nothing to regret when they look back at this Games in years to come.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I'd be shocked if she gets a 70 with plan B, but she could get a 65-68 if she's on. Joannie has a 3lz in her SP and her PCS are usually higher than Mao's and she only got a 70 once at SC where her scores were obviously inflated. Joannie also has really high GOEs which I'm not sure Mao will get, on her 2a she should get good GOEs, but on the loop and flip I'm not so sure. Miki can get above a 65 with a 3-2 though so I bet Mao can too, 70 is pushing it though, especially because Mao tends to make silly mistakes in the SP.

Joannie's PCS is not higher than Mao.
a 3lz base is only 6.0. a 3 loop base is 5.0. Her loop is always + GOE.
I think with the plan B, she has absolutely no pressure and should score extremely well and won't make silly mistakes.

This is the exact layout + double toe or double loop after the flip or the loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuSJhkCPsVk

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I really dislike how amongst everything Mao has said, there is no mention of a 3-3 at all.

I'm not sure why she doesn't understand the value of doing the 3-3...a move that allowed her to win so many titles in the the past, 2008 Worlds most notably.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sure seems like it. She hasn't attempted one since Worlds last year. :scratch:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I really dislike how amongst everything Mao has said, there is no mention of a 3-3 at all.

I wonder if she is a bit traumatized by all the UR calls on her 3F-3Lo last season. Her 3F-3T seemed more likely to be ratified though.

Miki has also never tried 3-3 or 2-3 this season yet. She has been cautious in comps even though she seems to be practicing them.

Another possible explanation might be that Mao may get physically and mentally exhausted if she does both 3A and 3-3. According to her interview, her choice of going for 2A-2T for the second jump of LP at Nationals was that doing two 3As felt a "burden" even though it would not have been a "risk" for her.

MKFSfan

Medalist
This is probably the one time a 3lp/3lp would come in handy...same base value as YuNa's combo. When did Mao give up on practicing that? I'm sure she feared UR calls.

Bennett

Record Breaker
This is probably the one time a 3lp/3lp would come in handy...same base value as YuNa's combo. When did Mao give up on practicing that? I'm sure she feared UR calls.

I'd love to see that. 3Lo may be her best jump in terms of both quality and consistency. But yeah, 3Lo seems so prone to UR calls.

miki88

Medalist

I'm not sure why she doesn't understand the value of doing the 3-3...a move that allowed her to win so many titles in the the past, 2008 Worlds most notably.

I think it means Mao hasn't been practicing her 3-3 this season, so she is not confident enough to put in her program. But I would love to see her try a 3Lo/3Lo cuz I don't see skaters trying that recently. And didn't Lipinski win the gold with that jump? Someone should tell Mao that. :agree:

Trewyn

Medalist
^^I love the 3Lo-3Lo as well! But it's also what notoriously ruined Tara's hip... So I guess it's quite dangerous. I also regret that Mao has abandoned the triple-triple (whatever 3-3) in favor of the 3A. At least she has a back-up plan...

Figure88

On the Ice
I'd love to see that. 3Lo may be her best jump in terms of both quality and consistency. But yeah, 3Lo seems so prone to UR calls.

If she can't even fully rotate 3X2 as we saw in the last JN, how do you expect her to execute a clean 3X3? And I didn't think her UR call for her 3X2 was bogus. (I'm not sure how you can blame the judges for now under-rotating an easier combo) Her combos looked conspicuously under-rotated to me. It seems she has a problem doing them, period.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
If she can't even fully rotate 3X2 as we saw in the last JN, how do you expect her to execute a clean 3X3? And I didn't think her UR call for her 3X2 was bogus. (I'm not sure how you can blame the judges for now under-rotating an easier combo) Her combos looked conspicuously under-rotated to me. It seems she has a problem doing them, period.

I don't remember anyone blaming the judges. :rolleye: It's all about nerves with Mao; she has no problems rotating 3x2. Mao is most consistent with her 3Lo, that's why it's reasonable to expect her to land 3Lo/3Lo.

Figure88

On the Ice

Her 2008 Worlds gold was controversial. She won because she was awarded the highest FS PCS scores of any of the other lady contenders. Also, she was given full credit for 3X3 in her short but she under-rotated 3L of her 3X3 in her long. So it wasn't as if she didn't have the problems in the past. The judges seemed her have just ignored giving deductions or propped her scores up with PCS points in the past.

miki88

Medalist
Her 2008 Worlds gold was controversial. She won because she was awarded the highest FS PCS scores of any of the other lady contenders. Also, she was given full credit for 3X3 in her short but she under-rotated 3L of her 3X3 in her long. So it wasn't as if she didn't have the problems in the past. The judges seemed her have just ignored giving deductions or propped her scores up with PCS points in the past.

Ok she won because she made the least mistakes out of the all the competitors. No one was perfect at that Worlds. The judging back wasn't as strict with URs in the past, and I never thought the judges were extremely favorable in their scores for Mao. You may not like Mao, but you don't have to downplay her past accomplishments.

Figure88

On the Ice
Ok she won because she made the least mistakes out of the all the competitors. No one was perfect at that Worlds. The judging back wasn't as strict with URs in the past, and I never thought the judges were extremely favorable in their scores for Mao. You may not like Mao, but you don't have to downplay her past accomplishments.

The least mistakes of any of the ladies? What are you talking about? Her FS was a disaster. Along with the dramatic fall, she had an edge call on her lutz and under-rotated her 3X3 combo. Despite that she received the highest PCS for the FS and this allowed her place ahead of all the ladies and win the gold.

http://www.soniabianchetti.com/writings_scandinavium.html