Is Rachael Flatt the (emotional) underdog? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Is Rachael Flatt the (emotional) underdog?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
2. I'm a certified crazy cat person.

I don't consider two cats being a crazy cat person. I have two cats! While Mr. P and I had a joyful martial union, it was not so for our cats.

Back on topic, I never thought Rachael was arrogant. She seems pretty down-to-earth actually. But I agree that people have overdone on the AP class mentions, beating Yuna Kim in the SA LP and such.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Like one of those old ladies with a house full of stray cats?

Hahahaha!! No, but only because my husband has prohibited me from getting a third cat. But when I do become old, you might want to ask me again.

Anyhow, I really think more than enough has been said about Rachael and Mirai and the fact that we're down to discussing Rachael's sheepdogs and cats proves it. :p I know I'VE said more than enough.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I don't consider two cats being a crazy cat person. I have two cats! While Mr. P and I had a joyful martial union, it was not so for our cats.

Back on topic, I never thought Rachael was arrogant. She seems pretty down-to-earth actually. But I agree that people have overdone on the AP class mentions, beating Yuna Kim in the SA LP and such.

:clap: I have a friend who has 5 cats three dogs and a successful marriage :bow:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Anyhow, I really think more than enough has been said about Rachael and Mirai and the fact that we're down to discussing Rachael's sheepdogs and cats proves it. :p I know I'VE said more than enough.

Seriously. The 2010 Nationals Ladies' LP Thread has like ... five "spinoffs" and counting. Que triste.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
for me no--she isn't the emotional underdog.
and how and why-she was 2nd at last years nationals came in 5th at worlds--now she is the champ and no reason-why she can't finish 5th. 6th or lower for me personally would be a major disappointment.
unless you mean--projection of artistry- which isn't emotional underdog-she has us backing-dorothy won based on clean skate-i didn't feel too emtional with her performance from her-she did what she had to do.
some others also but also had help. so emotional underdog no-she is young and capable.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Tom Zakrajsek is a bit arrogant it's understandable.

His students won the Senior (Flatt) and Junior (Zawadzki) Ladies titles, and took 4th (Bradley) and 6th (Mroz) in Senior Men and 2nd (Farris) in Junior men. Abbott was Tom Z's student when he won his 2009 Men's title.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Judging by how many lists she's on in the "Nightmare Oly Podiums" thread, I'd say she is CLEARLY not the emotional underdog. Maybe for the 2 or 3 Flatt fans that exist, but in general, no.

Personally I'd love to see her win, but it's due more to her being part of Team USA than it is a personal connection to her or investment in her.

a

Pray tell me where it is in the CoP the emotional gets points?

For the Olys,she is up against Yuna and Mao. Maybe Joannie. I see Rachael as having a shot at bronze if one of the 3 top falters.

Akiko, Carolina are not dependable and none of the ladies can skate Isolde.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Rather than lauding an athlete who's so much going on, who's an all around wholesome skater, who's a bit like Shawn Johnson with more AP classes, whose dog is so freaking cute it should be on the Eukanuba championship, whose parents value education over making it in Hollywood, people think it's a nightmare for someone like that to win the OGM?

If she has a SOHL and win, I probably will sob uncontrollably. :rock:

Nigel

On the Ice
If Tom Zakrajsek is a bit arrogant it's understandable.

His students won the Senior (Flatt) and Junior (Zawadzki) Ladies titles, and took 4th (Bradley) and 6th (Mroz) in Senior Men and 2nd (Farris) in Junior men. Abbott was Tom Z's student when he won his 2009 Men's title.

He also has Max Aaron, who was 3rd in Jr Men last week.

If by "emotional underdog" we mean a plucky David daring the invincible Goliaths, no, I don't think so at all.

Yu-na Kim remains the prohibitive favorite in the betting, but all of the giants have shown holes in their armour this season. All Rachael has to do is skate her program, rip off her seven fulll-credit triples and her level four non-jump elements, then sit back and see what happens. :yes:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think what is meant by "emotional underdog" is whether she is the underdog to win people's hearts.