2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Free Skate

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I don't mean to sound superstitious or anything, but as far as I know Gracie Gold is the only woman wearing a blue dress for her LP.
Although she is not a current world champion. But her dress does match the boards.

guanchi

On the Ice
I don't mean to sound superstitious or anything, but as far as I know Gracie Gold is the only woman wearing a blue dress for her LP.
Although she is not a current world champion. But her dress does match the boards.

Her dress looks like a combo of Yuna's gershwin at the bottom, with the choker, and gala thais dress at the top.
And Yuna's blue lp dress matched the boards at vancouver perfectly:biggrin:

yuki90

On the Ice
From what I could tell the only time they were loudly chanting was whenever a Russian skater was coming onto the ice and warming up prior to their program, which happens while another skater is waiting/receiving their scores.

And I don't understand the use of the word 'embarrassing' - the Olympics are in Russia, so naturally the audience is going to be predominantly Russian and be cheering for Russian skaters. Was the Russian crowd supposed to chant USA?

Do you know some of Russian crowd threw the toilet paper during Caro's performance?

Did you hear the big laugh after Mao's fall?

They hardly applaud to non Russian skaters performance.

Even Hanyu advised to Machida that you would hear nothing but loud Russia call during warm-up so dont be scared and calm down.

This is too much and they cross the line. they do not repect other skaters.

There are volunteers holding picket saying 'please be quiet' in Iceberg.

jcsamex

Rinkside
I personally don't like Gracie's style. I think she's a great jumper and is turning out to be a great competitor, too, but to me, she always seems to be attacking the jumps while moving her arms to the music with her focus visibly set on the next jumping pass. I see why the judges marked a big difference with Lipnistkaia's.

That said, I believe neither skater should've gotten such high marks for PCS. I fear we'll be seeing 140-145+ for the girls in the top three and that for me is just olympflation.

Barb

Record Breaker
True, it is not the problem they chanting russia, the problem was when? they were chanting, it was when other skater of other nationality was waiting his/her scores, it is the moment of that skater, they should to wait to the russian skater turn, just logic, definitly it was so annoying :scowl:

I seem to recall that in one of the earlier Olympics--I'm fairly sure it was either the summer games in Seoul or the winter ones in Lillehammer--groups of local volunteers were assigned to cheer for other countries so they would feel support. It was a nice expression of hospitality.

Barb

Record Breaker
I personally don't like Gracie's style. I think she's a great jumper and is turning out to be a great competitor, too, but to me, she always seems to be attacking the jumps while moving her arms to the music with her focus visibly set on the next jumping pass. I see why the judges marked a big difference with Lipnistkaia's.

That said, I believe neither skater should've gotten such high marks for PCS. I fear we'll be seeing 140-145+ for the girls in the top three and that for me is just olympflation.

Did you saw the protocols? Julia is not better in skating skills, and did you see that they gave to julia higher points at the same jumps? So that is the reason why julia has so much difference in scores.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie is such a total package. The scoring is truly disgraceful. Julia skates like a junior, tiny jumps and they were not that good. I did not see Gracie yet but she is textbook in her jumps and has much better speed and flow. hey, it is Russia. get used to it. They have the judges bought and sold. 141 is a joke. 10 points over.

I can't believe you would comment on Gracie vs Julia without watching both skate. Holy prejudiced Graciverse/Ashleyland. Not to be rude but what are you doing?

I agree with the criticism of Russian crowds but just at times. Like the scores coming up. Those people paid a lot of money and a lot are swept up in the event and I have a hard time faulting them. I say if it only happens in the team event and not in the individual medals then so what. Golf does it with the presidents cup. These girls and guys are tougher than that. Don't forget if some of the scoring goes down for the individual events and makes the team event a more playful affair with wild scores yet fair placements I see no problem with that. Well have to wait a few more Olympics to really know right. As far as chanting during warm ups....that's fair game. I'm American and I would be caught yelling Yu-lee-ah! Only at the Olympics mind you.

Nater

Match Penalty
I wonder if there was a bit of score inflation for Yulia because at that point the medals were locked in? :confused: I think she probably deserved to win the LP, but not by that large of a margin. But at that point it kind of didn't matter if she won by 5 points or more.

Just a thought....

Agree. No different than Yuna at Worlds, cause her protocol there was a joke as well. Wait for individual event to see. We shall know by the time the SP is done.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you saw the protocols? Julia is not better in skating skills, and did you see that they gave to julia higher points at the same jumps? So that is the reason why julia has so much difference in scores.

If Julia keeps turning crowds out like EVERY event this year then her PCS marks will continue to infected in all marks. A little here a little there and a solid presentation will be deserved. It's like a democracy in a way. The fans are standing up and giving a thumbs up to these judges in event after event. You can fight it all you want but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

For the people so caught up in SS, not to sound rude or disrespectful but maybe you should focus more on Ice Dancing. It seems to reward SS more and I suspect you could find your taste in that. The future is likely Julia and the girls coming up similar with high risk,taking center stage. Not unlike the men I think. I adore Caro but fear for her chances at a medal.

My hope is this....

Yuna or Julia (1st or 2nd for either, I don't care)
Caro 3rd

I'd love to see Mao in there but she seems unlikely to nail her routine:frown:

I'm not trying to offend anyone with my SS comments but as much as I think SS are important I just don't want this to be only a SS or high jumping contest. I feel many here refuse to accept any approach to this sport but their own.

Barb

Record Breaker
If Julia keeps turning crowds out like EVERY event this year then her PCS marks will continue to infected in all marks. A little here a little there and a solid presentation will be deserved. It's like a democracy in a way. The fans are standing up and giving a thumbs up to these judges in event after event. You can fight it all you want but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

For the people so caught up in SS, not to sound rude or disrespectful but maybe you should focus more on Ice Dancing. It seems to reward SS more and I suspect you could find your taste in that. The future is likely Julia and the girls coming up similar with high risk,taking center stage. Not unlike the men I think. I adore Caro but fear for her chances at a medal.

My hope is this....

Yuna or Julia (1st or 2nd for either, I don't care)
Caro 3rd

I'd love to see Mao in there but she seems unlikely to nail her routine:frown:

I'm not trying to offend anyone with my SS comments but as much as I think SS are important I just don't want this to be only a SS or high jumping contest. I feel many here refuse to accept any approach to this sport but their own.
But the thing is that ss are in protocols, I could to say ladies it is not about spins, jumps are important, or interpretation, but no, spins and IN are part of the scores too, I understand you Julia is great in some aspects, but others only no, and those other aspects are taken in cosideration for the scores, is the reality.
May be the judges should be eliminated and let the crowd decide with her claps or loud .:sarcasm:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My point exactly. You can have deficiencies yet make up for it by excelling in other places. Julia makes it up by wowing the crowd and going as clean as possible down to every detail.....she can. She is so determined I suspect she will begin to correct one deficiency at a time.

Side note- With her being so small is it possible shell only grow to the size of some of the top ladies when they were 15 to 17 themselves? Meaning is her max size maybe that of some of the greatest when they were in their prime of jumping. Maybe I'm hoping but I think it's a possibility. I know people in their 20's of similar size.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
good to see Julia skating well
though Gracie was a bit undermarked on PCS, she too should get in 69-70 PCS
Gracie too has speed, power, secure jumps and facial beauty

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
True, it is not the problem they chanting russia, the problem was when? they were chanting, it was when other skater of other nationality was waiting his/her scores, it is the moment of that skater, they should to wait to the russian skater turn, just logic, definitly it was so annoying :scowl:

it is Russian tradition to say Urra
and Molodyets for a job well done

we don't complain when the uber Canadian crowd disrespect and doesn't even clap for other nationalities

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
People keep on saying the judges are blinded by the things that make Julia dazzling. And here's the thing, while the judges should be judges, I think a skater who dazzles should get points for that. Especially in performance/execution... Who wants skaters to be all jump jump jump with nothing that draws you in. Julia draws you in and does stand out. And that should be rewarded in program components.

taht's no different than Yuna Kim
who when the judges are dazzled they give huge marks

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Oh gah. I can't find a way to watch this.
I'm thrilled to hear that Gracie and Julia nailed their programs. I know both are being criticized for their shortcomings but really, both are very exciting to watch. Gracie could use a bit more depth and Julia some flow between her moves and skating (and also depth) but both are just fun to watch. People are getting so nervous that two whipper snappers out of nowhere (well, out of nowhere for people who don't follow juniors) are putting the pressure on the veterans but I think it's making the competition exciting.

Overscored or not, the reason Julia is such a threat is because she has been so consistent and Russia knows that which is why they had her skate both programs.

agreed, now people are getting nervous/even getting hostile because their veteran favorites are threatened. this is real competition

guanchi

On the Ice
it is Russian tradition to say Urra
and Molodyets for a job well done

we don't complain when the uber Canadian crowd disrespect and doesn't even clap for other nationalities

As long as Russia doesn't chant "BLYAT, BLYAT", I think everything should be fine ;)

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I don't think Julia is cooked yet. I think Russia is taking her out of the oven way too soon., but, because the Olympics are in Russia she has that advantage.
She still needs to mature and develop and HOLD HER MOVES so we can actually see them. I think the Russian federation is pushing her and it may backfire.

I like Gracie, just 'like', she is good, a good jumper and seems pretty consistent, but she doesn't wow me.

It is weird to think Yuna may not win. With Julia being Russian ..ya know what that means as we have seen with the scoring so far. :frown:

I think Akiko has one heck of a great smile and I enjoy her skating style.

peg

Medalist
though Gracie was a bit undermarked on PCS, she too should get in 69-70 PCS
Gracie too has speed, power, secure jumps and facial beauty
I didn't realize 'facial beauty' was one of the components that gets scored in PCS. Silly me. :laugh:

(Besides, I don't find Gracie to have an special facial beauty. I think Ashley is much more of a beauty)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't think Julia is cooked yet. I think Russia is taking her out of the oven way too soon., but, because the Olympics are in Russia she has that advantage.
She still needs to mature and develop and HOLD HER MOVES so we can actually see them. I think the Russian federation is pushing her and it may backfire.

I like Gracie, just 'like', she is good, a good jumper and seems pretty consistent, but she doesn't wow me.

It is weird to think Yuna may not win. With Julia being Russian ..ya know what that means as we have seen with the scoring so far. :frown:

I think Akiko has one heck of a great smile and I enjoy her skating style.

you were not on the arena, the whole crowd gave her a standing ovation
even the Olympics committee gave her a standing ovation
the commentators have nothing but praises even athletes such as Maria Sharapova
the casual fans saw it and even marvelled,just look at the comments in Julia's videos

you cannot deny not even Kim Yuna has ever done that