2014 Olympics Short Dance | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
All this silly arguing. You're all forgetting the most wonderful important thing:

DANI AND GREG MADE THE FD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By light, do you mean flavorless? ;)
I love both team, but I find that D/W lack interpretation skills. They do the same style of programs every year. They are strong technicaly, but their artistry is lacking.

As an illustration, can you expand on the similarity of style between, say their tango and their Notre Dame free dances, both of which won World Championships?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It's happened with the Russians so why not let the Americans enjoy some inflation too?

everything should be tasted and everything is for the people so why not?:laugh:

ETA: especially during olympics - big gig, big scores, there should be equivalence

tulosai

Record Breaker
I would enjoy a Sky_fly20 vs CanadianSkaterGuy thread.
I literally LOLed, thank you.

As an illustration, can you expand on the similarity of style between, say their tango and their Notre Dame free dances, both of which won World Championships?

People also like to forget some of their more innovative OD's particularly Bollywood. Giselle I'd also argue was out of the box for them, as was the Latin OD (though that one wasn't as good as the 2 I've already mentioned).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All this silly arguing. You're all forgetting the most wonderful important thing:

I knew you'd be happy to see that! So am I.

Sadly, my sentimental favorites, the Turks, did not. She was the most beautiful woman on the ice today.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Indeed! :clap:

This emphasizes a HUGE issue with the team event if Japan, China, and Ukraine ice dance teams don't even make the individual FD. :eek: :confused:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I literally LOLed, thank you.

People also like to forget some of their more innovative OD's particularly Bollywood. Giselle I'd also argue was out of the box for them, as was the Latin OD (though that one wasn't as good as the 2 I've already mentioned).

Their Bollywood piece was brilliant! I actually though it was the most "original" of the Original Dances in Vancouver.

Although I suppose you could argue D/S were most "original" with their OD. :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's one of my top peeves. People make outlandish statements because they read it from somebody on the internet, and they think it makes them look learned.

This one, however, ranks far behind my least favorite - the "Tessa is fat" rubbish that periodically makes the rounds.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think what we can say is the race for bronze has been whittled down CONSIDERABLY, to I/K, P/B and B/S. My money is on I/K.

B&S have no chance unless each of the other two have a huge error. I think if I&K are perfect they will get it, but if they make even a small misake it will be P&B who wont falter in this chance.

rain

Record Breaker
On the bright side, it's been great to finally see I/K begin to skate up to their potential. They have underperformed dramatically in relation to their sheer talent over the last four years (I fully expected them to become Russia #1 long before now) and I was beginning to think they'd forever be that team that could-have-been. The Ghost FD last year certainly didn't help. It's exciting to see them actually performing well. I know there have been rumours about work ethic issues in the past...I hope they can take this momentum and run with it.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Do they get a chance to rehearse before the FD? I am hoping for Tessa to keep her gorgeous new red dress and for Meryl to wear her mesmerizing lavender one from US championships. I was so let down when Meryl showed up with her matronly, light pink outfit. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that one of the other ice dancers was wearing one that is very similar to the dress we thought she would unveil. Sigh*

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding Meryl's pink dress...

I've read that it was inspired by the one that Audrey Hepburn wore to the fancy event to show off for Professor Higgins.

For those that are particular fans of the movie, can anyone confirm?

I hope it's something like that... because, even as a fan, I have to say it's not the most flattering to her.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the bright side, it's been great to finally see I/K begin to skate up to their potential. They have underperformed dramatically in relation to their sheer talent over the last four years (I fully expected them to become Russia #1 long before now) and I was beginning to think they'd forever be that team that could-have-been. The Ghost FD last year certainly didn't help. It's exciting to see them actually performing well. I know there have been rumours about work ethic issues in the past...I hope they can take this momentum and run with it.

I thought they were fantastic! Scoring aside... their placement was correct.

I won't say the same for the other Russians. Admittedly, I haven't reviewed the protocols, but on performance alone, I'd have probably placed them below even the Shibs.

flaneur

On the Ice
Regarding Meryl's pink dress...

I've read that it was inspired by the one that Audrey Hepburn wore to the fancy event to show off for Professor Higgins.

For those that are particular fans of the movie, can anyone confirm?

I hope it's something like that... because, even as a fan, I have to say it's not the most flattering to her.

No. The pink dress is inspired by the final outfit she wears in the movie when she finally confronts Professor Higgins and asserts her independence (and then promptly goes back to him)

I agree that it isn't the most flattering dress on her. Personally I think Charlie is more Freddie Eynsford-Hill than Professor Higgins ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ Thank you! I suppose we'll see it at the WC, but after that, I hope it is retired.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Dani and Greg were sooooooooooooooooooo happy! :love:

Channel Ten did a very cute fluff piece on them before the SD. Maybe the cutest/saddest part was that Greg was so upset when they couldn't qualify for Vancouver - not because he was sick with a heart problem, but because he felt like he'd let Dani down :cry: He wanted to jump up from the hospital bed and run off to the rink so she could skate. They've been together since they were eight and nine years old!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^^^ Thank you! I suppose we'll see it at the WC, but after that, I hope it is retired.

Not necessarily! Meryl may opt for one of her six billion and one of her other dresses instead. ;)

(Willing to come back for fashion. Out again).

Dani and Greg were sooooooooooooooooooo happy! :love:

Channel Ten did a very cute fluff piece on them before the SD. Maybe the cutest/saddest part was that Greg was so upset when they couldn't qualify for Vancouver - not because he was sick with a heart problem, but because he felt like he'd let Dani down :cry: He wanted to jump up from the hospital bed and run off to the rink so she could skate. They've been together since they were eight and nine years old!

I really enjoyed them today. I'm glad they made it to the FD. :) Good job, Aussies!