2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 83 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I love how everyone's expectations are now shifting. Lulz. Looks like Adelina and Karolina are in, and Mao and Julia are out. Who would've thought.

Dutchie

Rinkside
Okay, personal preference. I get it.

I like having a variety of skaters and personalities on the ice. I don't care about being a lady if that isn't who they are. I think Ashley is fierce and strong and if she doesn't like being a fairy princess I congratulate her. That's just my preference of course

Please don't misunderstand me, I like the fact that Ashley is different. I'm not asking her to be a nice polite princess. That's not at all what I meant. I just wish her fierceness and sexiness would come out more naturally. At times it seems a bit forced to me. I realize she's under pressure and a microscope so I give her credit for dealing with it in the only way she knows how. I guess I just expect more from her and maybe that's unfair to her. She doesn't owe me anything, but we all have our preferences don't we? It's part of being a figure skating fan I guess :) I love having a variety of personalities on the ice, skating would be so boring if they were all the same. I think we can all agree on that! :)

qwertyskates

Medalist
Sotnikova skated the BEST tonight, with huge jumps, level 4s for everything, great flexibility, well-earned PCS, personified Carmen even more than Katarina Witt! Please...Carmen is a crude, sexy, heartless femme fatale who drove men mad, don't look for a prim, pretty ice princess, this is how Carmen should be skated, with passion, danger, brashness, a stand-out.:clap:

Nater

Match Penalty
Sotnikova's jumps are better than Kim's. Everyone knew that, a long time ago that outside of the Lutz Sotnikova has an edge there. Sotnikova has a Loop, though, which KIM does not have so she will have a 1 triple advantage in the FS, meaning she can fall on a Triple Lutz and still have a BV advantage over Kim.

Sotnikova's spins are in another dimension compared to Kim's. The Combo spin is WAY more stretched out. Her Layback is Level 4 and WAY better than Kim's. Her Flying Camel Spin leave's Kim's in the dust.

She did transitions out of her Triple Flip and Double Axel (the latter into a Twizzle Straignt into her L4 LBSp).

That first combination could have been a Quad-Triple with the amount of height she got on the first jump, with no rotational questions and immaculate landings. She probably got all +3's for that combination (and it would be deserved).

Kim telegraphs more compared to Sotnikova. Sotnikova goes straight into her 3F from steps, Kim takes a bathroom break going into that jump and Sotnikova's transitions into that jump are way more difficult than Kim's.

Kim got a level 3 Step Sequence, Sotnikova didn't IIRC.

Sotnikova performed that program like her life was on the line. I've never seen her sell that program as much as she did, and she added in more choreography (that made sense, hopefully she doesn't wave during the Spiral in her FS cause I'm at a lost for that) which really improved the program. She was amazing.

I do feel like we're finally getting to a point where the younger skaters like Gold, Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Edmunds, etc. aren't being penalized because they were "born too late" and it's actually kind of refreshing to see.

Kostner was beautiful, but I think Sotnikova outperformed everyone in the field and apart from Kostner and Sotnikova everyone performed like they were on their way to the Guillotine. Kim was solid, but you could tell she was quite nervous.

bebevia

On the Ice
For what it's worth, one thing Yuna got out of this F'ing BS competition is that Korea managed to have all three to move up to the FS.

And we just saw Carolina do a 3F-combo, nvm GOE. That was an overall nice performance.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
(((((Mao, Akiko, Kanako)))) I'm so sad for them.

Adelina and Carolina were so great. Adelina's jumps are so big :bow: and Carolina's artistry is breathtaking :love:. I respect Yuna's immense talent but that program did nothing for me. Still she is rightfully in first place.

Overall this was a good competition and I hope the ladies will bring their A game tomorrow as well.

Eloise

Rinkside
WHAT A COMPETITION. Elated for Carolina. Celestial performance. She should have been second in my opinion. I am absolutely shocked and heartbroken for Mao. What happened?!? Never would I have imagined that she could land in 16th place. Adelina was good, but I still dislike her program although she skated it brilliantly. And Akiko? So sad, but such a joyous performance even after the fall. Unexpected performance from Yulia, she started so strong. It must have been the tension, she is a kid and she was placed in such a difficult place. I am sure she will fight tomorrow.
I hope for a strong LP from Mao, she needs it for her soul. And obviously I hope for Caro to lift the roof off the ice-dome with long program. Forza Caro!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, there are some positives...

Gold and Julia in 4th and 5th, and Adelina ahead of them (by 6 and 9 points), and just shy of the lead?

sky_fly is going to lose her mind. :laugh:

ballerynna

Rinkside
Please don't misunderstand me, I like the fact that Ashley is different. I'm not asking her to be a nice polite princess. That's not at all what I meant. I just wish her fierceness and sexiness would come out more naturally. At times it seems a bit forced to me. I realize she's under pressure and a microscope so I give her credit for dealing with it in the only way she knows how. I guess I just expect more from her and maybe that's unfair to her. She doesn't owe me anything, but we all have our preferences don't we? It's part of being a figure skating fan I guess :) I love having a variety of personalities on the ice, skating would be so boring if they were all the same. I think we can all agree on that! :)

Thanks for clarifying that

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Sotnikova skated the BEST tonight, with huge jumps, level 4s for everything, great flexibility, well-earned PCS, personified Carmen even more than Katarina Witt! Please...Carmen is a crude, sexy, heartless femme fatale who drove men mad, don't look for a prim, pretty ice princess, this is how Carmen should be skated, with passion, danger, brashness, a stand-out.:clap:

Struck me more as a cheerleader with great acrobatics than a passionate femme fatale. Interpretation-wise I'd rather rewatch Samantha Cesario's Carmen. YMMV of course.

jcykim

Rinkside
Its 4:45am in Korea im in bed trying to comprehend *** just happened to the scores....... Carolina sure that was a good skate but i thought it should be around 71~72 and Adelina again not a bad skate but......... just........ no.......

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thrilled for Carolina. She was the class of the field. And it was good to see Yuna scored correctly for once, especially on PCS.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Sotnikova's jumps are better than Kim's. ....

Kostner was beautiful, but I think Sotnikova outperformed everyone in the field and apart from Kostner and Sotnikova everyone performed like they were on their way to the Guillotine. Kim was solid, but you could tell she was quite nervous.

:agree: Excellent analysis, I saw the same disparity in difficulty of the program too, and unfortunately, Kim's program just wasn't as strong. Sotnikova skated lights out. I think she's disliked because she's Russian, and I'm not even Russian.

Oh, Mao!

How devastating. I am so glad I won't have to watch this for the first time tonight, but even knowing the outcome ahead of time isn't going to make it any easier. What on Earth happened to her?

And Akiko as well. Such a delightful skater to watch, fresh and original. If only she had been able to do her skating justice this time around.

I can only hope that tomorrow night both will skate their best and leave Olympic ice with the satisfaction of a great program.

I'm sorry Julia fell. I hope she can pull herself together and shake it off for the free skate.

I think we're all going to need heart transplants when this competition is done, because we will have used up our lifetime's ration of speedy heartbeats on figure skating here.