2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 109 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really don't like taking digs at skaters so ill phrase it this way.

Ashley dares you to call her a beach! That's how she skates and that's how she presents herself in the Kiss and Cry and she's really good at it! I may not like it but I sure can respect it.

David21

On the Ice
What is this nonsense about Kim not "advancing the sport"? What is she supposed to do, triple axels? 3-3-3 combos? She's doing (perfectly!!) the hardest 3-3 combo and to me all of her steps, spins and movements remain exquisite. Kostner can't do any harder combo than the quite pedestrian 3T-3T. THAT'S advancing the sport? And she gets held up with PCS even when she makes technical mistakes, which has been pretty frequent over the yrs.

Question: Have you EVER seen Kostner skate?

mhu714

On the Ice
Wow a Yuna fan on roid rage! Did you even see the competition first of all Miss Kostner landed a beautiful 3F-3T not the 3T-3T your imagining and second of all Sotnikova went up to the International Space Station on her triple-triple combination. It's amazing how entitled Yuna fans are even when she's leading. Seriously get a life.

You know, sometimes it's just funny to see the reactions of people. Compared to some of what I've seen here I thought my reaction was pretty mild. Holy cow I mistook a 3F for a 3T I must be a "Yuna fan on roid rage". Really hilarious, and thanks, I'll try to get past this and get a life as you so graciously suggest. You also didn't respond to my point but then again I suppose it's easier to bash someone who offended you (again sorry man) rather than respond intelligently. BTW, I root for most of the ladies, not just Kim, I just think she's by far the best out there, in 2010 and now. Enjoy the LP, hope your fave, whoever it is, does well.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Dutchie just meant that judges, or people in general in life, tend to focus and evaluate those who went from 80 to 90 over a short time over someone who consistently stayed 95.

In other words, Dutchie is saying Yuna's rapid progress and contribution to sport was greater up to 2010, and slower and steadier (relative to Yuna's own past) afterwards. Adelina's rapid peak is now, which got the judges' attention and made her seem more impressive.

Yes, this sounds right. I couldn't agree with you more. I have a feeling that once you are a gold medal, people jude you differently, you tend to get higher score for the same program you program months before getting the medal. Of course it's just my feeling.

mhu714

On the Ice
Question: Have you EVER seen Kostner skate?

I'll take you guys on one by one. Of course I've seen Kostner skate, ever since she first came on the scene. What can I tell you she has always left me cold. I saw posts tonite from folks who felt Kim was good but nothing special. OK, that's their opinion, I have mine. I admit Kostner has looked fabulous both tonite and in the team event, just do not believe she's within a point of Kim when Kim skates pretty perfectly. Again, MHO, like it or l\ump it, whatever makes you feel good is ok by me.

mhu714

On the Ice
That's ok, man. Although, technically, Yuna isn't either, 3Z-3T was performed in Albertville, by Yamaguchi, 22 years ago. Not too much height on hers, but rotated. Yuna has brought consistency. I don't mind that the sport isn't being advanced so much technically, at least in ladies. I like the advancement to be taken artistically, which is why I am glad they are allowing vocals. Although Kostner as a youngster was performing 3F-3T in 2004, and due to height andinjuries, had to regain her difficulty. To be honest, I do like Kostner the best, because she is able to do so much with her height, and I think she has taken the most RISK, program wise. Yuna may have close to as much variety, but I feel like she has picked music that was in her "wheelhouse".

I get you, and appreciate that you love Kostner; most here do so I know I'm in the minority. She's gorgeous, always but I like the skaters who push things technically. For whatever the reason tho, I've just never felt Carolina.

lavender

Record Breaker
LOL Scott and Sandra just knew Adelina would be much lower. I was laughing at their silence. They knew that was some messed up judging.

David21

On the Ice
I'll take you guys on one by one. Of course I've seen Kostner skate, ever since she first came on the scene.

Then why do say that Kostner can't land any other triple triple than the "pedestrian 3toe-3toe"? She landed 3lutz3toe already in 2003 when she came first on the scene, she landed 3flip3toe at least years Worlds, and she did the same combo today.

You're allowed to not enjoy Kostner's skating; I do not enjoy the skating of all skaters either (but of most skaters) but no need to talk about crap about which is obviously not true.

dardar1126

On the Ice
Carolina's Ave Marie was my favorite SP...beautiful, lyrical...great technique & choreography...should be #2 or even #1!! :love:

Yuna skated perfectly, but her skating always leaves me a bit cold; saw her as #1 or #2 (see above) . :thumbsup:

Adelina was fiery & passionate, but I would have had her no higher than 3rd. :think:

It should be a real dog fight for the podium! :popcorn:

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Kostner was massively underscored, Yu-Na was about right, and Adelina massively overscored.

I think Kostner skated a beautifully composed program with magnificent skating skills, intricate transitions, and excellent interpretation. All of her elements were well executed, and I loved her step sequence--my favorite by far of the night. I was wondering why her step sequence (far superior to Adelina's) received a level 3 while Adelina's received a level 4. Very ridiculous. That itself lost Carolina 1.2 points (3.3+1.5 vs 3.9+2.1) Her jumps were also magnificently executed, better than Adelina's. She have a marvelous overall package.

Yu-Na also skated very well, and her elements were all well executed, though her jumps were not 100% perfect. Her skating skills, choreography, and interpretation were also very strong, though not as elegant as Carolina. Her step sequence also got a level 3, which was a little puzzling. (should have been 4 if Adelina got level 4)

Adelina skated well, but her overall performamce seemed a little juniorish to me. She had the easiest jump combo (3T+3T) and the overall execution of her elements was decent but not spectacular. Her skating skills are miles away from Caro's and Yu-Na's and her TR are quite weak, consisting basically of crossovers to gain speed. Her CH and IN are also very basic and not particularly elegant. Her PCS should not have been in the top tier (35+), she should have gotten around the same PCS or a little less than Ashley (maybe 33.5). I cannot comprehend how she had the same PE and CH as Yu-Na, who was superior in every way. And how did she gat the highest TES of the night? Yu-Na was clearly better.

The rest of the scoring was about right, though I am also quite puzzled how Julia got more than Ashley.

I would have scored:
1. Caro 39+37=76
2. Yu-Na 39+36=75
3. Adelina 38.5+33.5=72
4. Gracie 37+32.5=69.5
5. Ashley 33+33.5=66.5
6. Julia 32+32-1=63

I agree with you almost precisely! I would have had the same top six order you have. Carolina's was the performance of the night. SHE, not Yuna, was the queen. Yuna looked tentative to me, despite her gorgeous jumps.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Carolina's Ave Marie was my favorite SP...beautiful, lyrical...great technique & choreography...should be #2 or even #1!! :love:

Yuna skated perfectly, but her skating always leaves me a bit cold; saw her as #1 or #2 (see above). :thumbsup:

Adelina was fiery & passionate, but I would have had her no higher than 3rd. :think:

It should be a real dog fight for the podium! :popcorn:

Agreed again! I simply can't warm up to Yuna. Dick Button describes it as "pasted-on artistry." and while her arms and carriage are gorgeous, her toes are not pointed and her free leg is stiff.