2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

bmcc102

Rinkside
Ashley: SOLID other than the 3f-3t-- this combination was so good at the beginning of the season, but she just hasn't been 'on' with it since then. The rest of the skating was confident, cool, and fun. I hope tomorrow she really attacks and gets back to her reputation for being able to skate a nice LP.

Gracie: I guess I didn't think her jumps were that bad, compared to what I had read on here earlier. The 3z-3t mistake was not that big of a deal, but 2ax problem was WAY more noticeable, however, she held it together. Tomorrow will be tougher. I must say, I really loved her in between skating tonight. I kept thinking, 'this is the same girl from last year?'-- remember her juniorish "Hernando's Hideaway" compared to this? I loved seeing the improvement.

Polina: what confidence for at 15 yr old at her first BIG competition. She had fun, and while very unrefined (and needs to learn how to use arms, IMO), it was fresh. I thought her 3z/3t looked rotated enough to give full credit, but not surprised it got < from this tech. panel, which leads me to...

Julia: in the NBC replay, I honestly thought they were showing a close-up of her flip, but once it was landed, I realized it was her lutz. How on EARTH did that NOT get called for the wrong edge? We all know the Americans and Japanese skaters would get called... In terms of PCS, I thought she did the same as always, other than the flip. Not a lot of outward expression, but she did her thing. The spins were fast, but man, she travels a lot more than most, if you only watch the tracings.

Adelina: Russian bonus inflation. Sorry... she was very good, and definitely top three worthy, but she should NOT be in the within points of Koster and Kim (and I don't particularly like the latter, but can't deny her ability).

Carolina: Beautiful, calm, skating great jumps, ok spins (flying camel was my fav.). I would have her in 1st. She looked like she knew she would skate well before she even started, n'est-ce pas?

Yu-Na: Can't deny how wonderful her jumps are, but she leaves me cold on the PCS side of things. I don't get the huge appeal, BUT she is amazingly strong with skating skills and jumps, as I mentioned. Dick Button tweeted that Brian Orser tried to get her to work on her positioning in layback and pointed toe, but that she was disinterested. I think she just wants to maintain what she can already do, since it's worked until now. Not a bad strategy! I think Yu-Na aims to do everything she can do comfortably to her highest level (she doesn't do 3loop because of lack of consistency, not injury, if you ask me), but doesn't push herself to improve beyond what she can already do unlike...

Mao: She tried to fix her jump technique; she has worked on her positions over the years, and does everything she can to improve. I feel she is a skater who even when winning wants to improve and pushes herself (3ax, 3f-3t, all the triples in one program), but it obviously didn't matter in this moment. I wish she could have at least managed the 3l-2l combination to save the program, but it wasn't meant to be. Here's to hoping she can NAIL the first ever legally landed 8 triple program tomorrow!

khyu80

Spectator
I really only felt that Mao and Julia had a chance at gold since they both can hit well over 200 in total score but with them both of them out of the picture, it's hard to see Kostner or Sotnikova getting the gold medal barring a massive implosion on Kim's part and the skate of their life from Kostner/Sotnikova.

tempus

Rinkside
Well, now that we have all that clarified, I do want to say that the French and Russian meaning of “plastique” that Olympia wrote about is completely the opposite of artificial. How funny languages can be!
In my view, probably the most “plastique” today was Carolina. ;-)
Yes. I think Olympia is referring to 'plastique' in the balletic and choreographic sense, which refers to the connections between steps and movements, and also between big tricks, jumps, maneges, etc. If that was what you were thinking of with Kostner, I agree.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
I really only felt that Mao and Julia had a chance at gold since they both can hit well over 200 in total score but with them both of them out of the picture, it's hard to see Kostner or Sotnikova getting the gold medal barring a massive implosion on Kim's part and the skate of their life from Kostner/Sotnikova.

What.

Becki

Medalist
Ashley: SOLID other than the 3f-3t. It was so good at the beginning of the season, but she just hasn't been 'on' with it since then. The rest of the skating was confident, cool, and fun. I hope tomorrow, she really attacks and gets back to her reputation for being able to skate a nice LP.

Gracie: I guess I didn't think her jumps were that bad, compared to what I had read previously on here. The 3z-3t mistake was not a big of a deal at all. The 2ax was WAY more noticeable, but she held it together. Tomorrow will be tougher. I must say, I really loved her in between skating tonight. I kept thinking, 'this is the same girl from last year?'-- remember her juniorish "Hernando's Hideaway" compared to this? I loved seeing the improvement.

Polina: what confidence for at 15 yr old at her first BIG competition. She had fun, and while very unrefined (and needs to learn how to use arms, IMO, it was fresh. I thought her 3z/3t looked good enough to give full credit, but not surprised it got < from this judging panel, which leads me to...

Julia: in the NBC replay, I honestly thought they were showing a close-up of her flip, but once it was landed, I realized it was her lutz. How on EARTH did that NOT get called for the wrong edge? Sorry, but if her name was "Ashley Lipinski," of the US, she would have gotten a call for sure. I thought she did the same as always, other than the flip. Not a lot of outward expression, but she did her thing. The spins were fast, but man, she travels a lot more than most, if you only watch the tracings.

Adelina: Russian bonus inflation. Sorry, but she was very good, and definitely top three worthy, but she should NOT be in the same bracket points-wise as Koster and Kim (and I don't particularly like the latter, but can't deny her ability).

Carolina: Beautiful, calm, skating great jumps, ok spins (flying camel was my fav.). I would have her in 1st. She looked like she knew she would skate well before she even started, n'est-ce pas?

Yu-Na: Can't deny how wonderful her jumps are, but she leaves me cold on the PCS side of things. I don't get the huge appeal, BUT she is amazingly strong with skating skills and jumps, as I mentioned. Dick Button tweeted that Brian Orser tried to get her to work on her positioning in layback and pointed toe, but that she was disinterested. I think she just wants to maintain what she can already do, since it's worked until now. Not a bad strategy! I think Yu-Na aims to do everything she can do comfortably to her highest level (she doesn't do 3loop because of lack of consistency, not injury, if you ask me), but doesn't push herself to improve beyond what she can already do unlike...

Mao: She tried to fix her jump technique; she has worked on her positions over the years, and does everything she can to improve. I feel she is a skater who even when winning wants to improve and pushes herself (3ax, 3f-3t, all the triples in one program), but it obviously didn't matter in this moment. I wish she could have at least managed the 3l-2l combination to save the program, but it wasn't meant to be. Here's to hoping she can NAIL the first ever legally landed 8 triple program tomorrow!

I feel the same about Yuna. After 2010, she just kept the same jump layout, the same transitions and didn't really try to push the technical or artistic envelope. I mean why should she? Everything was working well for her - go out and perform, and if clean, she was guaranteed high marks.

With Mao and Carolina, I really saw their efforts shine through.

bmcc102

Rinkside
Actually, Yu-Na lessened her jump layout since 2010, because she can't do 3 double axels anymore; so she dropped 2x-3t. She didn't want to repeat the toe when she could do a salchow for slightly more points, however, I don't get it. Why not repeat the flip? She COULD do:

3z-3t
3f
3s
2x-2t-2l
3f-2t
3z
2x

But, like I said, she probably didn't want to risk not landing one of the flips... that jump is one she really has to think about, especially since she started worrying about the edge on take-off after getting lip calls.

soaringsea

Spectator
I feel the same about Yuna. After 2010, she just kept the same jump layout, the same transitions and didn't really try to push the technical or artistic envelope. I mean why should she? Everything was working well for her - go out and perform, and if clean, she was guaranteed high marks.

With Mao and Carolina, I really saw their efforts shine through.

I understand what you guys are saying (sky_fly, etc), but FOX SPORTS analysts Sarah Hughes, Michelle Kwan, and even Carol Heiss disagree and believe Yuna is VERY emotional and deep and her performance was great.

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/olympic/ice/15442/?bpk=Mzg2OTAyOjU4OjE2fE5CQ0J5cGFzczIwMTQh

SashaSpin

Spectator
I disagree with you. Since Yuna has won gold in 2010, the judges are making it harder for her this time. Yuna skated as flawlessly as she did in Vancouver, yet her score is not even among her top five. On the other hand, Kostner and the "other Russian" both scored around four points higher than their personal records. Debates about who deserves higher or lower PCS aside, it's pretty clear the judges are not in favor of letting Yuna run off with the gold.

ginal

Rinkside
I LOVED Yuna's program!! I liked this much more than her bond SP. She has already stated this is her last competition and I felt her SP was a goodbye, it felt really heartfelt and emotional and showed increased maturity. Her jumps look as big as ever with perfect technique. Her footwork, she did like 75% or more of it on one foot, isn't that hard? Like doing figures? which skaters used to have to do before. Her costume was also gorgeous, loved it! Thought she should have scored 5 pts higher. Judging is so capricious, if she had skated near the end, I am sure she would have gotten 79 or so.

Caro, she isn't as awkward as she was before and her jumps aren't teeny like Julia's, but her spins, she was moving all over the place, what a hot mess. I am happy to see her though, at 27!!! Go "old" girls!

Russians, way overscored, as usual. One thing I guarantee, unless they both seriously implode, the judges will find a way to get one or both on the podium. Adelina, where is she getting the PCS and the GOEs?? c'mon. Julia, again, all she does is remind me of a little girl, yes she is one, but she plays one as well in both her programs!!! How am I supposed to get the impression she is mature when her character in both her programs is a little girl. Not just that but, how can she get the same GOE as Yuna when Julia's jumps look so small???

Glad to see Gracie closer in PCS but still should be higher than Julia. Polina is impressive, jumps are huge.
Overall, thought the women's competition was very easy on the eyes. All the outfits I saw were pretty, nothing horrendous, and is it just me or is this field of skaters very attractive? Yuna, Gracie, Julia, adelina, etc, they're all very pretty.

Mao, Mao, Mao, I feel bad for her, but wow, what a headcase.

elif

Medalist
I disagree with you. Since Yuna has won gold in 2010, the judges are making it harder for her this time. Yuna skated as flawlessly as she did in Vancouver, yet her score is not even among her top five. On the other hand, Kostner and the "other Russian" both scored around four points higher than their personal records. Debates about who deserves higher or lower PCS aside, it's pretty clear the judges are not in favor of letting Yuna run off with the gold.

Because this time we have one element less from 2010 olympics.(spiral sequence):rolleye: This is why she ddn't got 70ish scores at Worlds lasy year too.

starrynight

On the Ice
I feel the same about Yuna. After 2010, she just kept the same jump layout

Her hip injury made her go of loop and the rule change deeply cut her jump layout. Practically, who wants to desert the most rewarding layout just for a whiff of fresh air? As to efforts, I do think you have to put an awful lot of "efforts" to refine/maintain what you've got to the world best level for four years.

And your saying that Mao shined out and shaded Yuna's efforts... did you watch Ladies SP today?

qazwsx

Rinkside
Good evening. First post.
I haven't yet read the entire thread but I wholeheartedly agree with those posters saying there is major hometown bias at work here. Lipnitskaia in a close fifth place after a FALL on a required SP jump? Give me a break. Does anyone recall what happened to Boitano, Browning, etc. ad infinitum when they fell on required SP jumps? And Sotnikova, though she skated carefully and did not make major mistakes, less than half a point behind Kim after a triple-toe triple-toe? Debi Thomas had a triple toe-triple toe TWENTY-SIX YEARS AGO! Sotnikova also has lousy, to say the least, transitions and those ain't no Maryinsky ballerina arms neither, lol. Gold was a little overscored herself with those landings, but with the appalling overscoring of the Russians who's complaining?
It's a pity Mao self-destructed. Even for the program she skated, however, those marks were vindictive.

If Mao were a Russian skater, she would've been in fifth right now, within reach for medal. It matters more where you compete than how you compete, what a joke, only in figure skating.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I've been wanting to post in this thread since watching the event live earlier today, but I was a bit shellshocked and didn't want to recklessly throw myself into the fray.

I know it's a horrible idea to personalize sport or anything that doesn't actually affect my own world and life, but I was absolutely wrecked by Mao Asada's performance in the short program. I've been watching her journey and career trajectory since Vancouver, and I've had the misfortune of viewing her experience unsatisfactory results, only then to see her pull herself up off the ice and build herself up again. She persevered through three tough years and found herself better for it: an elegant, lyrical artist, but also a more refined technician, capable of gorgeous triple axels while also able to perform jumps that were previously missing from her repertoire. Any other skater would've given up following the season she had in 2010-11, but she kept going, working hard and improving her skills through one more dicey season, only to emerge as a runaway engine in 2012-13, losing steam slightly at last years world championships but only to rev up to full throttle through this Grand Prix season.

But what I admire most about Mao, in addition to her artistry and skating skills, is that she seems like a very good person. Her dignified demeanor, throughout her wins and losses, never wavered, and her commitment to her sport through adversities both athletic and personal (I still feel for her for her mother's passing) never wavered either. Like some of our very best skaters (including Yuna Kim and Carolina Kostner, both in the running for Gold right now), she was always about the skating, and as an American, she is another fine example of eschewing public posturing in favor of actual skating, athletes of which our country surely needs more of (looking at you Ashley and Gracie). Even though we come from entirely different backgrounds, Mao has become a role model for me these past four years, an artist who has persevered through tough times only to come out better for it, results or otherwise.

With that said, I'm not sure what to make of her placement of 16th at this point. I think the overall rankings are very fair, especially the top 3. I think it's fair enough that Yulia is above Ashley, given the latter's 3-3 downgrade and the former's execution of a more difficult 3-3 (albeit a flutzy looking one, but her spins are much better than Ashley's). After letting my feelings gestate over Mao, I have finally settled on a sentiment to carry into tomorrow's free skate: though she is a longshot for a podium finish, I hope Mao skates a performance that she finds personal satisfaction in. After all, even though this is a sport, the journey is just as rewarding as the final outcome.

What a beautiful and eloquent and compassionate post. Thank you for it! I wish I could hug you through the computer as I feel your sadness and I share it, although not quite to the same extent since I haven't fallen in love with Mao until this season when she emerged as a gorgeous artist as well as a great technician.

I have friends on the inside of figure skating and every single one of them has told me that Mao is universally BELOVED in the skating world, that she is a simply extraordinary human being in addition to being a great skater.

I share your hopes for her free. Perhaps she can do what Jeremy Abbott did and skate with more joy and freedom in the long in part because the pressure is off?

In any case, thank you again for your lovely words. Even though you are sad, your words brim with a sweet spirit and thoughtfulness. I really appreciated getting to know you a bit by reading you! :)

qazwsx

Rinkside
I wonder what Adelina's marks would've been if she's Adelina Li
I wonder what Julia's marks would've been if she's Julia Asada

We can play this all day and it kinda show how out of control the judging is, isn't it.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
Her hip injury made her go of loop and the rule change deeply cut her jump layout. Practically, who wants to desert the most rewarding layout just for a whiff of fresh air? As to efforts, I do think you have to put an awful lot of "efforts" to refine/maintain what you've got to the world best level for four years.

And your saying that Mao shined out and shaded Yuna's efforts... did you watch Ladies SP today?

Tell me about it.

I usually try to shy away from any Mao-related topics since I'm heavily biased...

But going back and forth with different kinds of layout without mastering one and messing up all of your muscle memories and still think you can pull them off under enormous pressure.......

Well I feel for Mao so I don't want to criticize her so I'll choose to blame her team for letting her do that. It's just painful to watch her body betraying her. Bet she herself doesn't understand what happened to her even now.

It's called consistency. And you think it's lame and makes a skater less of a hardworker, then give it all to Yuna:agree: You can never have it enough IMO!!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I understand what you guys are saying (sky_fly, etc), but FOX SPORTS analysts Sarah Hughes, Michelle Kwan, and even Carol Heiss disagree and believe Yuna is VERY emotional and deep and her performance was great.

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/olympic/ice/15442/?bpk=Mzg2OTAyOjU4OjE2fE5CQ0J5cGFzczIwMTQh

I will watch this stream-thanks!

On the flip side, Dick Button, Kurt Browning, Dave Lease of TSL, and Michael Buckley all feel her artistry is a bit canned and that she is flat and cold.