2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I'm happy for her if true.
There is no way she should compete if she is tired.
If she skated badly people would be even more nasty than they have been these past few weeks.

KJGL

Rinkside
It's official. Adelina Sotnikova won't compete for the 2014 Worlds. She's listed as a 3rd sub. Pogo and Lip get to go. Good for Adelina. She does need a rest from this lengthy & stressful season and there's always a next year for that world's gold medal.

Link: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028068.htm

Is she injured? Because if she's not injured, the "she needs a rest" case is a very tough sell. She's 17 years old. Her fifteen year old teammate skated double the number of programs in Sochi and she's showing up. The 27 year old who some believe may have been the rightful gold medal winner is showing up.

With the exception of Yuna, who's stated intent has always been that she was retired after Sochi, everyone else who finished in the top ten is showing up.

It's really hard to see how not showing up is "Good for Adelina."

Interspectator

Record Breaker
-So is it only Hanyu that will try to get the back-to-back Olympic and Worlds gold medal?
Which figure skaters have won the Olympics and Worlds in the same year in the past?

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Difficult situation, if Adelina goes and gives a poor performance people will critize her even more if that is possible and if she doesn't go people will critize her for inventing excuses/being scared etc etc. Personally I wanted her to go and do her best no matter the result, but well....

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
With the expection of Adelina all have been World Champions before. With Chan, Ten and so many others not going AND Worlds in Japan this probably will be the easiest way to World Champion ever for Yuzuru. :) But you never know, someone may step up to the task.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
-So is it only Hanyu that will try to get the back-to-back Olympic and Worlds gold medal?
Which figure skaters have won the Olympics and Worlds in the same year in the past?

Virtue/Moir won both the Olympics and Worlds in 2010. :)

KJGL

Rinkside
Difficult situation, if Adelina goes and gives a poor performance people will critize her even more if that is possible and if she doesn't go people will critize her for inventing excuses/being scared etc etc. Personally I wanted her to go and do her best no matter the result, but well....

I wanted her to go, too, regardless of result, and when it looked like she was going I had huge respect for that.

But if she's not injured then she's scared. There's no two ways about it. She's probably scared of Mao and Carolina, but maybe most of all scared of her teammate Lipnitskaya. She may manage to evade Mao and Carolina, who could be retiring after this WC, but sooner or later she's going to have to compete another event with Lipnitskaya. And in another year Gracie, Polina, and some of the up and coming Japanese women may be in that mix as well.

tana

Match Penalty
Considering so much OTT and excessive amt of abuse and ridicule Adelina was subjected to after winning the Sochi OGM, I'm not at all shocked that she decided to skip the Worlds. Can you imagine the outcry she'll have to face if she underperforms (god forbid)? I think her team judged the situation wisely and this was a right move to protect/shield her from all of her haters. There's the motivation factor to consider as well. They say that it's really hard to focus and regroup right after the big win. I mean, she's an OGM medalist, a title every skater COVETS for his/her entire life as a competitive skater. It'd be stranger if she can put that aside and train very hard again right after an emotionally draining period from Sochi. Think of Yuna Kim who had a disastrous SP in post-Vancouver Worlds because she wasn't motivated at all and neither fully trained/prepped for the 2010 Worlds. After resting and being recharged, I believe she'll come back stronger than ever the next season and show a thing or two to her naysayers. :)

Scott512

Record Breaker
Has it been confirned Sotnikova is not going? I just googled her name and see nothing about her pulling out of worlds. That would be disappointing but not unusual for an OGM to skip worlds since they are so soon after the Olympics. Will Russia get to send a replacement for her if she doesn't go?

On a side note I don't think her gold medal controversy fazes her much and that she's scared or anything to go perform on the road. If anything Sotnikova may have a Sochi hangover and need to rest from that. We must remember how hard she works and that she's only 17. It will be interesting to see if Adelina comes back with more triples and combos etc. for next season. I expect Mao and Yulia to be fired up for worlds.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Not surprising. I would have been far more surprised if she went. But Sotnikova is going to face the same scrutiny next season. The schadenfreude is heavy in the air.

KJGL

Rinkside
Pechelat and Bourzat - will be competing

Alionna and Robin - will be competing

desertskates

Medalist
It's official. Adelina Sotnikova won't compete for the 2014 Worlds. She's listed as a 3rd sub. Pogo and Lip get to go. Good for Adelina. She does need a rest from this lengthy & stressful season and there's always a next year for that world's gold medal.

Link: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028068.htm

I'm actually kind of surprised by this for some reason. One person that I would fully have expected to pull out and call it a day is Carolina, but she's still hanging in there!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have say that I am looking forward to Worlds even though a lot of my favorites won't be participating.
I look at it this way, there still is a lot of talented skaters who are attending and I will be rooting for them.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
How far back do you want to go?

Yagudin (2002), Petrenko (1992), Boitano (1988), Hamilton (1984), Curry (1976), Nepela (1972). Pretty much every lady up through 1992 and Yamaguchi. In ice dance - T/D (1984), B/B (1988), K/P (1992), G/P (1994). Pairs - M/D in 1992, Rodnina and partners in 1972 and 1976, Protopopovs in 1968.

cooper

Medalist
Considering so much OTT and excessive amt of abuse and ridicule Adelina was subjected to after winning the Sochi OGM, I'm not at all shocked that she decided to skip the Worlds. Can you imagine the outcry she'll have to face if she underperforms (god forbid)? I think her team judged the situation wisely and this was a right move to protect/shield her from all of her haters. There's the motivation factor to consider as well. They say that it's really hard to focus and regroup right after the big win. I mean, she's an OGM medalist, a title every skater COVETS for his/her entire life as a competitive skater. It'd be stranger if she can put that aside and train very hard again right after an emotionally draining period from Sochi. Think of Yuna Kim who had a disastrous SP in post-Vancouver Worlds because she wasn't motivated at all and neither fully trained/prepped for the 2010 Worlds. After resting and being recharged, I believe she'll come back stronger than ever the next season and show a thing or two to her naysayers. :)

nice excuse..

even with all the pressure.. yuna didn't withdraw..even if she had a disastrous SP..she still went on to skate the lp... didn't back down.. and put her reputation on the line..

so nice try..

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
nice excuse..

even with all the pressure.. yuna didn't withdraw..even if she had a disastrous SP..she still went on to skate the lp... didn't back down.. and put her reputation on the line..

so nice try..

I wonder how much say Adelina had in this. Ponytail to ponytail, I think it might be the decision of the federation not to send her to be slaughtered by Shin Amano. Plus Adelina never beats Yulia outside of Russia. That's a fact!

cooper

Medalist
I wonder how much say Adelina had in this. Ponytail to ponytail, I think it might be the decision of the federation not to send her to be slaughtered by Shin Amano. Plus Adelina never beats Yulia outside of Russia. That's a fact!

shin amano will be there?? lolz.. i wonder why ISU didn't put him at the olympics.. i wonder why... i wonder why... i wonder why... :think: