2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uh yeah Carolina's whole strategy has been to be the modern Michelle Kwan. She didn't get high PCS because of the skating order. She got them because of her speed/smooth edges/easy technique. I believe she was actually smiling as she entered her triple triple haha? Dunno why anyone is surprised.
She was smiling!!! And she was so calm when she took the ice it was very easy to trust that she could deliver. She probably settles her coach down right before the program. Not liking her is like saying you don't like Thumper!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Uh yeah Carolina's whole strategy has been to be the modern Michelle Kwan. She didn't get high PCS because of the skating order. She got them because of her speed/smooth edges/easy technique. I believe she was actually smiling as she entered her triple triple haha? Dunno why anyone is surprised.

She and Mao both deserve high PCS. I'd have Mao a lot closer to Caro and a lot further from Julia if I were judging but I do think skate order had a lot to do with that.

skatel80

On the Ice
Except I meant all 3's on the step seq!! But the premise is the same. Not every single score is suspect as some seem to have as a first reaction. I'll remember that SP for the rest if my life. Watching it live is so much different than analyzing YouTube videos. I, like the skaters, was literally shaking before the last two groups. It was downright unhealthy how nervous I was for Mao and Yulia!! The judges are prone to this excitement too albeit from a totally different and less fanatical sense. :slink:

That atmosphere was contagious. Thank you Japanese audience/fans!! :love:
Ive often wondered how the judges can keep so calm after stunning performances . I might forget where i was and clap . Yeah i know what you mean. The judges cant help being caught up in the moment. Maos performance was the finest ladies short i have ever seen. It came from the heart. Im still gushing now haha

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I propose a moment of reflection for all the SP's which only live now in our memories and YouTube! Ill miss quite a few of them myself so I won't start mentioning names! A lot of them went out on top with perfect execution!! Good job ladies:clap:

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
The skater who improve and impress me the most was Kaetlyn Osmond. It was really ambitious to upgrade the difficulty of her programs in the last competition of the season. I'm impress by the fact that even if it was new element for her, she made them look flawless and beautiful.

Jump

Rinkside
I just watched Anna Pogorilaya skate. Wow! I can't believe she's only 15 years old. She flew across the ice on those jumps. She has real women jumps and not junior jumps like Julia. I also watched Julia Lipnitskaia. I'm sorry. That 3/3 is just tiny. Her double axel was pretty good but again, that 3/3 is so weak. If Anna only got 66 for her skate, Julia did not deserve 74. If anything I would switch the scores between the two girls.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just watched Anna Pogorilaya skate. Wow! I can't believe she's only 15 years old. She flew across the ice on those jumps. She has real women jumps and not junior jumps like Julia. I also watched Julia Lipnitskaia. I'm sorry. That 3/3 is just tiny. Her double axel was pretty good but again, that 3/3 is so weak. If Anna only got 66 for her skate, Julia did not deserve 74. If anything I would switch the score between the two girls.
She is like 6 inches shorter than most the girls. If she could get as high as those girls they'd have to give her +4's. She goes big enough to fully rotate and have amazing flow but to each their own. I can respect your taste. You have to admit its hard to compare Yulia to the rest because she is a whole different approach. To me its refreshing to you it's subpar. Oh well. YMMV

roma

On the Ice
Saw it live last night. 5th group was the best. My hands were so sore from clapping. For me Mao, Caro and Akiko were the highlights... on a different level from the rest. I was so nervous for Mao. It was utter silence 10-20sec before she started I can hear my heart beat wildly but she just looked so calm and confident. I love that aura. That short was simply breathtaking. She deserved higher PCS than what they gave her. No less than 36.5 if it were me.

Caro was majestic. Such grace. It was really, really good. That 37 for PCS was well-deserved. One thing I noticed, though, is that I was trying to she if she was really so fast across the ice like what I've read ever since. But last night it wasn't as fast as what I expected. Mao was fast although might not look like it on video.

Akiko skated with so much heart. I saw Caro clapping in the end while she waited for her turn on the ice.

Julia was good. Her jumps looked better now and a little higher than last season. For all the hype on Gracie's jumps I didn't see what was special with them last night. I was expecting huge jumps but didn't see them. These two did improve this season although I'd still put Julia above Gracie.

usethis2

Medalist
I just watched Anna Pogorilaya skate. Wow! I can't believe she's only 15 years old. She flew across the ice on those jumps. She has real women jumps and not junior jumps like Julia.
I hope she doesn't grow up too much.. like this girl. For her skating, of course, not as a person.

DaveT

On the Ice
She is like 6 inches shorter than most the girls. If she could get as high as those girls they'd have to give her +4's. She goes big enough to fully rotate and have amazing flow but to each their own. I can respect your taste. You have to admit its hard to compare Yulia to the rest because she is a whole different approach. To me its refreshing to you it's subpar. Oh well. YMMV
It's not how high you get in the air, it's the distance off the ice. Her jumps are small. Tara was the same way when she had a small frame and could spin quickly and rotate while barely leaving the ice. I hope for her she has no significant body changes or she'll be re-learning because that muscling technique won't work if she grows. Only time will tell.

BounceAround

On the Ice
One of the best parts of this ladies' short program was knowing that so many skating fans must be bursting with joy. While I was watching the competition, quite a few fans of Mao, Carolina, Akiko, and particularly some fans of Yulia :)biggrin:) came to mind. It must have been like Oprah - "You get a Personal Best! and you get a Personal Best! and you get a Personal Best!".

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not how high you get in the air, it's the distance off the ice. Her jumps are small. Tara was the same way when she had a small frame and could spin quickly and rotate while barely leaving the ice. I hope for her she has no significant body changes or she'll be re-learning because that muscling technique won't work if she grows. Only time will tell.

She is better than people tend to give her credit for. Ask anyone who has seen her live! A lot of the "on the moment" aspects of skating don't transfer over to YouTube and TV.

BounceAround

On the Ice
She is better than people tend to give her credit for. Ask anyone who has seen her live! A lot of the "on the moment" aspects of skating don't transfer over to YouTube and TV.

I think the reaction of the audience said a lot. People absolutely loved her, and this is one of the most knowledgeable skating crowds in the world. How cool that you've seen her live as well :)!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Well here's hoping she ends up at Skate America because that means I might get to see her in person.

One of the best parts of this ladies' short program was knowing that so many skating fans must be bursting with joy. While I was watching the competition, quite a few fans of Mao, Carolina, Akiko, and particularly some fans of Yulia :)biggrin:) came to mind. It must have been like Oprah - "You get a Personal Best! and you get a Personal Best! and you get a Personal Best!".

Well sure, because I mean Yulia already has a car and and Mao has a plane, so Oprah-like presents had to go up a notch. ;)

Last edited: