Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

slider11

Medalist
I absolutely agree that DWTS showcases the differences in Charlie and Meryl's emotional output and ability to relate to their partner. Charlie can relate to Tanith-that's it. Sorry but if anyone phones in, it's Charlie. He is very athletic and works hard. But the emotional level as a partner - he is about a 4. Meryl on the other hand puts in all the work and effort. I think she has to work even harder than Charlie to athletically perform. But emotionally, there is a genuine and endearing quality to her personality that permeates the dance. Ok, I know they pick the clips for the rehearsals etc. But holding Maks hand and talking him through his insecurities - priceless. And in the dance Meryl just does it all. She is mind-blowing. I won't be surprised if Maks tries to lure her as a partner in his and Val's upcoming show in NY. Maybe he'll want to do a whole nation-wide traveling show focusing on Meryl and him. Really...they're that good!

I agree with Tulosai and PlaysInTheDirt! :) I'm not "shipping" Meryl and Maks, lol. I'm just impressed with the consistency and with the level at which she has performed each week. I always thought she was talented, but to me her stint on DWTS has really sort of shown me how strong she is at fixing things she needs to and performing them perfectly the next go round.

And although the showmance was played up early on in the season, I don't really feel like it has been the past couple of weeks, personally.

I also love Charlie! (How could you not? He's so happy and sweet!) And I think his scores were appropriate but not when compared to the inflated scores certain other individuals were given... In that case, he deserved a '10' or two.
I also agree that his best performances have been those in which he gets to portray a happy-go-lucky character......and his modern was good too. :)

Tbh, some people complained in the beginning that Meryl's facial expressions were too big or whatever, but last night the dances that left a little to be desired for me could've used more variation in facial expression....(I'm not talking about Charlie here), but there are some other celebs who think a simple smile fits all dances - and it just doesn't.

EDIT: Procrastinator
This may be taboo but I wonder what Meryl and Scott Moir would be like together. They're both very expressive people (even if both have the tendency to overdo it).
I've often played devil's advocate in my mind wondering about this as well...

Buttttt, at the end of the day, Meryl and Charlie were very successful on ice too... Equally as successful in the senior circuit. Now I just wish we'd get one more season of them post-DWTS. I think they've both learned a lot; and they would bring some new and different perspectives onto the ice after this experience.

slider11

Medalist
Just occurred to me that I hope Kurt Browning is watching some clips of Meryl dancing. He was a pretty consistent critic of both M and C's lack of dance ability - not finishing moves, not having the grace and line of his homies Scott and Tessa. Sounds pretty lame after last night - or maybe she just needed the right teacher - right.

To me, Charlie and Sharna have more of a big sister, cheerful little brother vibe going. It will be hard for them to sell the romantic-type dances.

Isn't there usually a DWTS tour following the season? Will this conflict with Stars on Ice if Meryl and Charlie re both invited?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Tbh, some people complained in the beginning that Meryl's facial expressions were too big or whatever, but last night the dances that left a little to be desired for me could've used more variation in facial expression....(I'm not talking about Charlie here), but there are some other celebs who think a simple smile fits all dances - and it just doesn't.

There are a few skaters who could use this advice...

There are a few skaters who could use this advice...

Hahaha, oh yes there are! ....Charlie being one of them sometimes... :/
I never realized how important developing an emotional range was until I saw ice skaters or dancers hit the ice/stage that couldn't sell it... Granted, with the nature of dance and the man needing to show off the woman more, I think it's worse when the female partner is the one that is lacking in ability to emote...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My admiration for Sharna went up with the comments in this photo:

http://instagram.com/p/nBgQAhOywv/

sharnaburgess
2 days ago
This is why @charlieawhite is amazing every week, not because it's natural or easy, but because he works his *** off everyday even when his not with me. We start off on Tuesday like everyone else, baby steps, and it's a testament to our working relationship and his desire to do the best he can that he kills it every week. #soproud

Somebody posted this nasty comment:

karengrave
And a testament to his pre-established dance talent coming into this. Fool yourself but don't try to fool the rest of us. We are smarter than that. But keep on believin'.

But Sharna had the last word!

sharnaburgess
@karengrave lol, I must have missed you in all our rehearsals this season watching his progress. 😜 you 'keep on believin' what you want to. I was sharing because I'm proud of him, and will continue to do so.

Mrs.P Thanks for sharing that!!! That really does make her move on up in my estimation. :)
I'd noticed that as Meryl and Charlie's time on DWTS progresses, people seem to be posting hateful comments about them and their abilities on pictures and such via twitter/instagram. Clearly people's skin is tinged green at this point with all of their envy oozing out... O=)

lmarie086

Medalist
Mrs. P, thank you for sharing that. I don't understand the point of following someone or purposefully finding them on social media just for the sole purpose of leaving a nasty comment or two. Do people really not have anything better to do with their time? Does it make them feel better? That I doubt, so it's pointless.

I would never say that Charlie "phones it in" expression-wise. It may be that he takes very seriously the idea of being a one-woman man, to a point that it's been more of a challenge for him to relate to other women in performances-with our examples being Meryl and Sharna. Over the last few seasons Charlie really started connecting more and in more depth to Meryl on the ice, and I also give him credit for how well he's presented her on the ice. I'm counting that as part of his expressiveness, and now maybe I'm not supposed to count it for that, but he used to be such a ham and play to the crowd. Back then, Meryl kind of got lost. Then she stepped it up expression-wise, then Charlie started presenting her more and finally they connected much better. I was impressed with him this season, I found him quite lively and on point with the story and well connected with Meryl.

I would never say that Charlie "phones it in" expression-wise. It may be that he takes very seriously the idea of being a one-woman man, to a point that it's been more of a challenge for him to relate to other women in performances-with our examples being Meryl and Sharna. Over the last few seasons Charlie really started connecting more and in more depth to Meryl on the ice, and I also give him credit for how well he's presented her on the ice. I'm counting that as part of his expressiveness, and now maybe I'm not supposed to count it for that, but he used to be such a ham and play to the crowd. Back then, Meryl kind of got lost. Then she stepped it up expression-wise, then Charlie started presenting her more and finally they connected much better. I was impressed with him this season, I found him quite lively and on point with the story and well connected with Meryl.

I think you're right on in saying that Charlie really presents his partners in the best light and allows them to shine! :) And I concur. I think their programs this past season were just magical and a very good fit for them. Over the past few years they've found their sweet spot and groove for sure.

caitie

Medalist
I think Charlie really benefits from extra time, too. Having five days to learn these difficult routines and get into the character of the dance and what he's trying to portray is not easy, and I don't think it's a coincidence that IMO he had his best chemistry and emotion in his first dance, where he had two weeks to learn the dance and build up the character. On the ice, Charlie always got progressively better and better (and so did Meryl, but particularly Charlie) as the season went on, as far as chemistry, character, and emotion go.

ETA: Oh, I almost forgot the reason I swung by lol.

Charlie has Paso Doble (my favorite!) next week, and Meryl has Salsa.

lmarie086

Medalist
I mean, full disclosure: I've been a D/W fan since 2006 and I used get mad at Charlie (as mad as I can really get in front of a computer :lol: ) that he didn't look at Meryl more. But he's made such progress in his expression which really helped bring him and Meryl to another level.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Just occurred to me that I hope Kurt Browning is watching some clips of Meryl dancing. He was a pretty consistent critic of both M and C's lack of dance ability - not finishing moves, not having the grace and line of his homies Scott and Tessa. Sounds pretty lame after last night - or maybe she just needed the right teacher - right.

Kurt Browning is too respectful of Figure Skating and Figure Skaters who put 100% into everything to say that about Meryl and Charlie. They and Tessa/Scott were phenoms and had both strengths and weaknesses. Since Kurt is broadcasting in Canada, his natural tendency is to side with the Canadians.

It must be said that the energy they put in on both the floor and the ice are both simultaneously full on yet different. In particular Meryl, she with Maks have been connecting in a way which I have never seen her and Charlie do on the ice (It's because of those damn Level 4 cookie-cutter requirements!) but that doesn't detract from the fact that Meryl and Charlie danced incredibly together and made something special for themselves.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

KKonas

Medalist
From Carrie Ann Inaba for Parade.com blog: she does a review of the previous evening's performances. Here are her thoughts on Meryl & Charlie's dances:

Now, this was the moment of the night if you ask me — when Meryl Davis and Maks Chmerkovskiy danced, it took my breath away — and my words. Magic happened in that tango. You could feel the room change as they danced. We were all transported to another world, the world of Meryl and Maks where passion ran thick and power fueled every movement. Her incredible strength and ability to finesse every movement at warp speed is unmatched. So far (in the mini competition between Meryl and Charlie White that has been going on), I believe Charlie has been winning. He has been consistently strong and entertaining. However, last night, Meryl took the lead. She and Maks have some sort of X-factor. It’s something that goes beyond words and that surpasses the movement alone. They have a sizzling chemistry that is intoxicating to experience. What a memorable moment.

Charlie and Sharna Burgess took me back to my Fly Girl days. I was impressed with his ability to get funky. I wasn’t sure if he had it in him, but he does and he brings a special Charlie White style to everything he does. He does everything with ease. I know I’ve said it before, but he’s like a Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire. He’s got such a stylistic stamp when he dances, you know it’s him immediately. It’s fun and fresh and clean. I really enjoyed his high-octane presence, but I do think that he and Sharna will be thinking hard about their next performance. I think we need to have impact from him. We need a surprise from them. Something unexpected needs to happen in their journey towards the mirror ball trophy. He’s definitely a contender and so is Meryl, and the competition between the two of them is going to get intense.

From Carrie Ann Inaba for Parade.com blog: she does a review of the previous evening's performances. Here are her thoughts on Meryl & Charlie's dances:

Now, this was the moment of the night if you ask me — when Meryl Davis and Maks Chmerkovskiy danced, it took my breath away — and my words. Magic happened in that tango. You could feel the room change as they danced. We were all transported to another world, the world of Meryl and Maks where passion ran thick and power fueled every movement. Her incredible strength and ability to finesse every movement at warp speed is unmatched. So far (in the mini competition between Meryl and Charlie White that has been going on), I believe Charlie has been winning. He has been consistently strong and entertaining. However, last night, Meryl took the lead. She and Maks have some sort of X-factor. It’s something that goes beyond words and that surpasses the movement alone. They have a sizzling chemistry that is intoxicating to experience. What a memorable moment.

Charlie and Sharna Burgess took me back to my Fly Girl days. I was impressed with his ability to get funky. I wasn’t sure if he had it in him, but he does and he brings a special Charlie White style to everything he does. He does everything with ease. I know I’ve said it before, but he’s like a Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire. He’s got such a stylistic stamp when he dances, you know it’s him immediately. It’s fun and fresh and clean. I really enjoyed his high-octane presence, but I do think that he and Sharna will be thinking hard about their next performance. I think we need to have impact from him. We need a surprise from them. Something unexpected needs to happen in their journey towards the mirror ball trophy. He’s definitely a contender and so is Meryl, and the competition between the two of them is going to get intense.

Interesting comments from Carrie Ann. Re the Meryl vs Charlie debate: I sort of hate that we have to take 'sides,' because I'm rooting hard for both of them (even though I have a funny feeling that Amy is going to win).

I think that people are reacting to the packaging more than the dancer. Both are great, but unlike most people here, I actually found Charlie to be more open, warm, and expressive on the ice - especially during the Scheherazade FD. Some commentator (Dick? Scott? Tracy? - I can't remember!) even mentioned that he had more "dramatic flair" than Meryl. However, on the show, he's had mostly silly/goofy dances, and some overly busy choreography (the cane!). I think that his contemporary dance during the first week showed that he has emotional range, and I expect to see him make a strong push towards the final (the paso is a step in the right direction).

Matt K

On the Ice

Kurt Browning is too respectful of Figure Skating and Figure Skaters who put 100% into everything to say that about Meryl and Charlie. They and Tessa/Scott were phenoms and had both strengths and weaknesses. Since Kurt is broadcasting in Canada, his natural tendency is to side with the Canadians.

I do not doubt that Kurt Browning is biased (I personally try to watch videos of other commentators on youtube because I find his comments inane and moronic at times, just like Dick Button who I've tried to get away for quite a long time now). But D/W don't finish their moves in ice dancing, and while they have gotten better at this later in their careers, they still don't hold and extend their positions long enough and at times don't match. I was aghast in horror over certain parts of their diagonal step sequence in Scheherazade, how sloppy some parts looked when I first watched it on video, and again months later, but then I remembered, that the judges and officials do not take this into consideration any longer. Their circular step sequence was better (but not as complete and close as V/M's), which is an improvement from 2010. Finishing your moves on the ICE on EDGES is not the same as finishing your moves on the FLOOR with NO EDGES. I don't know why you would even bring up this comparison. :confused:

I read through an interview on FSU last month that Ksenia Monko did when the interviewer asked her of her impressions on everyone's debut of their Olympic ice dance FD programs (around October 2013). She watched D/W, V/M, everyone at Skate America. She says that D/W don't hold/complete their movements, referring to their skating as "indulgent". She says you would not see this in V/M's skating, and loved V/M's FD. Krylova criticized D/W about this just before last season too (and a host of other things). And I am sure several others, not named Kurt Browning.

Going back to the topic of this thread, though, I think Sharna Burgess is a great choreographer. I'd like to see more of her work with dance couples. She is very talented.

caitie

Medalist
I think that his contemporary dance during the first week showed that he has emotional range

He had a chance to show it with his tango and rumba too... Rumba was a bit better than I expected but the tango was awful. I really think that Meryl can just run rings around him as far as acting range and dynamic performances go, she seems to be able to step into more roles more easily and convincing.

The first week's contemporary was truly great for him, though. That last look he gave Sharna? Wow.

they still don't hold and extend their positions long enough and at times don't match.

They hold their positions exactly long enough for their style of skating. It's a matter of preference.