Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs. Edmunds

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sorry for being off topic, but can anyone explain to me Lambiel's costume in 2006 season? Seriously 4 season music and a colorful giraffe costume. :cry: what's the connection to the music? I love Lambiel so much I can give him a pass for that costume and he got the title with it but...:bang: why?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sorry for being off topic, but can anyone explain to me Lambiel's costume in 2006 season? Seriously 4 season music and a colorful giraffe costume. :cry: what's the connection to the music? I love Lambiel so much I can give him a pass for that costume and he got the title with it but...:bang: why?

You mean the zebra costume, right. The giraffe was Kulik :laugh:

Great program
never to be forgotten :thumbsup: whatever the zebra connection...

GO both Polina and Julia competing with all the great women skaters :rock:

Meoima

Match Penalty
You mean the zebra costume, right. The giraffe was Kulik :laugh:

Great program
never to be forgotten :thumbsup:
GO both Polina and Julia competing with all great women skaters :rock:
Yes, that Zebra costume, sorry for my bad memory. I really wonder why all the men I have ever loved put themselves in some kind of disaster for at least one time. They want to cosplay all the animal in the Zoo or something! :bang:

IIRC Stephane once said that this was his vision of "winter" from the four seasons: a magic zebra experiencing the wonder of snow for the first time. The zebra was so amazed that he leaped up and spun around in the air four times. This was the origin of the quad jump in figure skating. :yes:

Meoima

Match Penalty
IIRC Stephane once said that this was his vision of "winter" from the four seasons: a magic zebra experiencing the wonder of snow for the first time. The zebra was so amazed that he leaped up and spun around in the air four times. This was the origin of the quad jump in figure skating. :yes:
:unsure::unsure::unsure: I am not sure I could buy that explanation. :slink:
But costumes aside, he is still one of my loves, along with Kulik, Yagudin, Plushy... So no problem. Who can blame such a hot man for his costumes?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Sounds like an acid trip. :slink:

shine

Record Breaker
I love the whimsical Stephane. He's always had a little bit of that child-like quality in both his off-ice and on-ice personas that's so charming and endearing. :cool:

starlight97

Final Flight
I just re-watched an interview with Eteri..
She said that "Yulia doesn't really have a life outside of skating" and Yulia also often says that skating is her life, her job, and that now, after moving to Moscow, her mother doesn't work anymore so she's the only breadearner. She says that when she was a really little girl, she'd sit on her bed and listen to the Russian anthem and imagine that she was standing on a podium and that it was being played for her.

When I see Polina's instagram, it becomes clear that she has friends and other things she spends her time with other than skating (I don't mean once a year during vacacion, but all the time) and of course, like mentioned earlier, she attends a normal school. Skating isn't her life, it is part of it.

That's the main difference between the two for me - leaving out all that jumping and competing and winning or not.
They just have, it seems to me, different approaches to skating and of course that can be a reason for different results. Neither of these approaches is better or worse than the other, but they can make a difference.

RABID

Final Flight
I just re-watched an interview with Eteri..
She said that "Yulia doesn't really have a life outside of skating" and Yulia also often says that skating is her life, her job, and that now, after moving to Moscow, her mother doesn't work anymore so she's the only breadearner. She says that when she was a really little girl, she'd sit on her bed and listen to the Russian anthem and imagine that she was standing on a podium and that it was being played for her.

When I see Polina's instagram, it becomes clear that she has friends and other things she spends her time with other than skating (I don't mean once a year during vacacion, but all the time) and of course, like mentioned earlier, she attends a normal school. Skating isn't her life, it is part of it.

That's the main difference between the two for me - leaving out all that jumping and competing and winning or not.
They just have, it seems to me, different approaches to skating and of course that can be a reason for different results. Neither of these approaches is better or worse than the other, but they can make a difference.

Except it gives me cause for concern for Yulia's well being knowing how the Russian system can be very ruthless in its goals and with its skaters. If she continues to shine brightly like she has, then no problem but if not.....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would be extremely worried for Yulia, then, if she went through a growth/maturity spurt that adversely affected her success, because apparently she has nothing else in her life that matters to her. How very sad!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would be extremely worried for Yulia, then, if she went through a growth/maturity spurt that adversely affected her success, because apparently she has nothing else in her life that matters to her. How very sad!
It's the price of success. Yuna Kim, as far as I've heard, was home-schooled or didn't attend normal school (any Yuna fans feel free to correct me), she went to see a movie 2 times a year, mostly focused on traning and technically having no life ouside of it untill she succeeded at Vancouver.
Mao has lived as a monk for years. And only started enjoying her life recently when she finally decided to have a break.
Daisuke said he longed for a romantic partner after like years of FS focused only.
Yuzuru's routine in Toronto is: home - rink - home - rink - super market at weekends - home - rink - home - rink
He hasn't even visisted Niagra falls despite living in Canada for more than 2 years.
And it's easy to tell most people they know are from the figure skating circle only.

If you want success, but you dare not scarify most of things in your life, then you are not worthy of that success. Fully commitment is necessary.
Anyways, even if you don't success, you are still young enough to make a new start for your life. After all these skaters are still 15-23, thus they have plenty chances to move on.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Shes past her growth spurt. While most of these other girls aren't. Wheres the constant puberty fantasies for them?

Yulia will retire when shes 19, probably buy a horse farm, do some skating shows here and there, and is a national treasure. Sounds like a great life to me.

I understand her personality. She likes to be alone a lot of the time, but sometimes more social. But it has to be on her terms. Shes not the type that needs to be best buddies with everyone.

starlight97

Final Flight

This is not what I said. She surely has many other things she cares about, starting with her family and ending with her pets and so on.
Like I tried to say I'm not trying to make either of them appear in a bad light.
Feeling great responsibility and being aware of essential things in life such as money, which has never been thrown at her, to me isn't sad.
I just wanted to maybe provide a logical reason for their differing results.

slider11

Medalist
I feel something deeper with Yulia, a deeper connection to the artistry and the total package she presence on the ice. Polina is lovely and certainly has the jumps. Maybe it's just her physical make up but those long, gangly limbs which seem to flail rather than have purpose and meaning during her performance. I think both will have to deal with physical maturity over the next couple years. Polina may have an edge there with her height and long body lines and be able to carry the additional weight and curves. Maybe because I loved her Schindler's List LP last year, but I give the overall edge to Yulia with future expectations.

Icey

Record Breaker
If you want success, but you dare not scarify most of things in your life, then you are not worthy of that success. Fully commitment is necessary.
Anyways, even if you don't success, you are still young enough to make a new start for your life. After all these skaters are still 15-23, thus they have plenty chances to move on.

Daring not to "scarify" most things in your life, hardly makes a skater or anyone unworthy of success. Where in the world did you come up with that kind of thinking? Full commitment to skating alone is not necessary. Skaters like Carol Heiss didn't go that route:
During her run of world titles, she also attended New York University, graduating after the 1960 Winter Olympics. Many skaters train excessively imo. If they would learn to train smart, they would not have to forego so many other things in their lives.

Re Julia's mother and her not working since she moved to Moscow: Will they not allow her to work there for some reason?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Daring not to "scarify" most things in your life, hardly makes a skater or anyone unworthy of success. Where in the world did you come up with that kind of thinking? Full commitment to skating alone is not necessary. Skaters like Carol Heiss didn't go that route:
During her run of world titles, she also attended New York University, graduating after the 1960 Winter Olympics. Many skaters train excessively imo. If they would learn to train smart, they would not have to forego so many other things in their lives.
Was Carol Heiss' era technical demand as the current era, both in the Academy sense and FS sense? :p I would love to have a time machine to bring her to this era.

Please take note: I don't know why the auto correct keep changing sacrifice to scarify . Damn my browser!!

And it's so obviously all the people I have mentioned above have friends, even Yulia. Yuna Kim I don't know much, but surely her family has supported her for years. Mao I don't know much either, but it's so obvious she is close to her team mates in Japan team, such as Kanako or Akiko. Dai has his friends and connection, too. It's just he was too focused on FS for years to find a romantic partner.
Yuzuru has friends his age, too. Or else who has just uploaded his Ice Bucket Challenge video? He also nominated 2 of his friends who are singers to accept the challenge. Yulia also has friends at her training group, too. She also updates her Instagram with Adelina, Anna Pogo and other people who are not in her FS circle as well. These FS fully-commitment skaters I have mentioned OBVIOUSLY have their social life. It's just they have been fully committed to FS for years more than most.
You have to sacrifice many things in your life for the greater success. If you want a better balanced life, then yes, there is nothing wrong with that. But I am not sure you can archive more than people who have more focused on the matter and tried harder than you for years.