21M Beginner – Regular LTS vs. Adult LTS | Golden Skate

21M Beginner – Regular LTS vs. Adult LTS

GS1371

Spectator
Country
United-States
Hi all! I am a 21-year-old male with absolutely zero experience looking to get started. I'm lucky enough to have a flexible schedule and funds to dedicate to proper learning, and want to challenge myself to move through the basic levels and eventually on to pre-FS and FS (yes, over a very significant amount of time, effort, and $ – I have patience). For reference I am approx. 5'7" 115lbs and have no background in dance, gymnastics, or anything of the sort; played soccer for about 6 years throughout middle and high school.

The best nearby rink offers both regular and adult LTS classes in various sessions starting up in June – the former being ages 5+, while the latter is 14+. I've read that some adult beginners were a bit disappointed in the lack of structured learning in the adult LTS classes and very lenient coaches. I'm sure some of them might be looking to learn at an easier or independent pace and don't really care about how their skill levels progress, but I fall more into the category of craving structured goals, a real sense of challenge, and testable progression. Eventually when it's appropriate for my skill level, I would be open to private coaching a few times per week, off-ice training, etc. to supplement group lessons as well.

I don't have any personal objection to being in an LTS class with mostly children if it means the instruction is better suited for my goals, but I wanted to hear from other adult beginners who may have been in a similar dilemma as to which version of LTS to choose, and how it worked out for you? Anything you wish you would've considered before going with one of the two options? Maybe there would be some other teens closer to my age in those 5+ classes as well, not sure haha.

Thanks in advance!
Gary

P.S. To clarify, LTS is "Learn to Skate", the primary curriculum/standard in the United States: https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/learn-to-skate

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I don't know what is LTS or which country you are located, as I imagine that each country/federation and even rink/club has its own rules, but one good place to start would be to discuss all your concerns and goals you mentioned above with the rink director and/or head coach from the rink you plan on training.
I also started as an adult (I live and train in Tokyo, Japan), however I had different ideas and goals than adults who want to skate for hobby only or fun. I was forced to retire from professional classical ballet at an early age and was seeking something to practice/train and improve like a full time "job", including being competitive - participating in competitions-, testing, doing exhibitions etc etc, nothing like a hobby or fun. I discussed this with the head coach and rink director and started private lessons with her (she is still my private and primary coach). At the rink I train at, adults and kids are not allowed to be mixed in group lessons at beginner levels, so when I started I also joined an adult beginner group lesson once a week, besides the 2 or 3 weekly hours I had with my private coach, however due to daily ice practice plus increased off ice training (which kept increasing as I improved my skating skills), I was "promoted" from this beginner group class, joined the rink skating club and proceeded to join an intermediate group lesson, in addition to my by then busier private coach session schedule, plus club practices as well.

Again, I think it depends on what's allowed where you intent to train at, and having a conversation with the rink director and/or head coach prior to starting.

Good luck!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't know what is LTS or which country you are located, as I imagine that each country/federation and even rink/club has its own rules, but one good place to start would be to discuss all your concerns and goals you mentioned above with the rink director and/or head coach from the rink you plan on training.
I also started as an adult (I live and train in Tokyo, Japan), however I had different ideas and goals than adults who want to skate for hobby only or fun. I was forced to retire from professional classical ballet at an early age and was seeking something to practice/train and improve like a full time "job", including being competitive - participating in competitions-, testing, doing exhibitions etc etc, nothing like a hobby or fun. I discussed this with the head coach and rink director and started private lessons with her (she is still my private and primary coach). At the rink I train at, adults and kids are not allowed to be mixed in group lessons at beginner levels, so when I started I also joined an adult beginner group lesson once a week, besides the 2 or 3 weekly hours I had with my private coach, however due to daily ice practice plus increased off ice training (which kept increasing as I improved my skating skills), I was "promoted" from this beginner group class, joined the rink skating club and proceeded to join an intermediate group lesson, in addition to my by then busier private coach session schedule, plus club practices as well.

Again, I think it depends on what's allowed where you intent to train at, and having a conversation with the rink director and/or head coach prior to starting.

Good luck!
LTS = Learn To Skate group lessons. Probably USA. Canada calls them CanSkate classes.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@Diana Delafield thank you. We have none of this here in Japan, it's just figure skating classroom, here it follows the Japan Skating Federation curriculum, and it has also levels for testing from beginner test to master/gold (also adult).

GS1371

Spectator
Country
United-States

Good luck!

Sorry, I should've clarified that I am in the United States, so LTS is an acronym for "Learn to Skate", which is our most popular organization that sets curriculum and skill levels, etc. I edited my post just now to add that!

Thank you for your input; I very much feel the same as you mentioned, that I am looking forward to taking it seriously. Here in the US, at least from the clubs I've seen in my area, there is no maximum age for the classes that the kids take, so as an adult beginner you are free to choose whether you want to learn with the lower ages, or to learn with adults only (though they consider "adults" to be 14 and up).

And from some other forum posts I've read, the adult version of classes can sometimes be a "watered down" version or less challenging than the kids version. I am hoping someone who has taken the LTS classes here in the US will have some insight about their learning experience. I think some people might feel silly taking classes alongside 5 and 10-year-olds, but I don't really care if it means I get better or more meaningful instruction.

I will speak to the contacts at the specific rinks near me to get their advice as well. Thanks so much for your reply! :)

Elija

On the Ice
I would recommend giving both a try if you can to see what works best! Years ago when I was doing group lessons as a teen I did find that the mixed classes (mainly kids) could be more challenging than adult classes. But adult classes also often progress quite quickly as I find adults learn quicker at the beginner levels (then usually plateau more than the kids once they get to jumps) than kids, as they just have better body awareness. I think two sessions skating per week is perfect to begin with, so would definitely suggest taking one of each type of class if you can! It all depends very much on the particular rink and coach as well, so you really have to try to know. You also may make some great skating friends in adult classes and then you’ll have someone to practice with :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all! I am a 21-year-old male with absolutely zero experience looking to get started. I'm lucky enough to have a flexible schedule and funds to dedicate to proper learning, and want to challenge myself to move through the basic levels and eventually on to pre-FS and FS (yes, over a very significant amount of time, effort, and $ – I have patience). For reference I am approx. 5'7" 115lbs and have no background in dance, gymnastics, or anything of the sort; played soccer for about 6 years throughout middle and high school.

The best nearby rink offers both regular and adult LTS classes in various sessions starting up in June – the former being ages 5+, while the latter is 14+. I've read that some adult beginners were a bit disappointed in the lack of structured learning in the adult LTS classes and very lenient coaches. I'm sure some of them might be looking to learn at an easier or independent pace and don't really care about how their skill levels progress, but I fall more into the category of craving structured goals, a real sense of challenge, and testable progression. Eventually when it's appropriate for my skill level, I would be open to private coaching a few times per week, off-ice training, etc. to supplement group lessons as well.

I don't have any personal objection to being in an LTS class with mostly children if it means the instruction is better suited for my goals, but I wanted to hear from other adult beginners who may have been in a similar dilemma as to which version of LTS to choose, and how it worked out for you? Anything you wish you would've considered before going with one of the two options? Maybe there would be some other teens closer to my age in those 5+ classes as well, not sure haha.

Thanks in advance!
Gary

P.S. To clarify, LTS is "Learn to Skate", the primary curriculum/standard in the United States: https://www.usfigureskating.org/skate/learn-to-skate
From a current pro who competed since I was 4-5 years old. You need to be in the Adult LTS at your age. You can't do the kids one.
You may also find that in addition to LTS you could find a private coach who could coach you and give you more focus and structure.

Good luck!

silverlily1

On the Ice
I can speak of Canada.

My daughter first joined a city's rec learn to skate program over the spring and summer, at 12 1/2 years old. The sessions were very small since it was the off-season, so she got somewhat semi-private lessons. She learned much faster than the young kids around her, but the environment was fine for her. My daughter went from waddling on the ice to three-jumps, spirals, and crossovers, forward and backward edges, full turn two-foot jumps, etc in her 3 1/2 months of classes.

In September of that year I tried a city adult advanced rec class briefly. It was full of senior citizens who only wanted to do the very first ice dance (Dutch Waltz) and were terrified at the thought of jumping or spinning. I quit after the first class and we both joined a skating club. They suggested she move right into their post-Canskate younger group, so I joined that as well to save on travel time (I hadn't skated in years but wasn't new to skating). The youngest kids in the group were 5-6, but there was also another adult and some older teens. Within two months we were both doing salchows. We stayed there all year.

The next year we moved to a different club. The coach suggested we both join the senior starskate group because of wanting to travel together and me being an adult, even though our skills aren't quite at that level. She figured my daughter would relate better to the 11-18-year-olds than the 10-12-year-olds as well, being that she was then almost 14.

Two winter seasons after starting in a skating club, we are now both firmly in Starskate, and have both competed and tested, though I choose to compete in the adult stream for the freedom of choice and creativity it allows. We're both at the level of working on starting axels. We still haven't quite caught up to the 12-year-olds in the group, but we're getting closer to one of them, who is still only sometimes landing her axel.

I'm looking at getting spring coaching this year from a club that puts my starskate level and up together with adults who have moved beyond canskate. So I guess I fit it both ways.

I've previously taken ballet with teens as an adult. I also took adult ballet classes. I much preferred the teen classes, as we were worked harder and held to a higher standard (I also found that taking them with old Russian federation ballerinas suited me well, as they tend to be more exacting).

Taking classes designed for those who want to progress in their skills and have skating goals is the right choice as an adult if that's what your goals are. That may or may not mean adult classes in your area. The instructor can guide you best.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I think some people might feel silly taking classes alongside 5 and 10-year-olds, but I don't really care if it means I get better or more meaningful instruction.
Thank you for further clarification and yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

What I found upon enrolling in the adult beginner classroom in my area was that these particular adults were, as you mentioned, not taking it seriously as my plans were. They only showed up at the rink once a week to skate before the class and in the class, so of course the coach would keep us practicing the same skills over and over and the pace was slow. No rocket science, a skater who puts more time into practice will probably progress faster than some doing it only a little bit, once a week.

You said in your first post that you don’t have budget limitations, so I wonder if starting with a coach’s private lessons would be the best idea for you. You can also go to the skating classroom lessons, if the kids lessons progress faster and you are allowed to be in them, I’d join them if I were you (can’t here, it’s not allowed).

Having a private coach since the beginning, you will learn proper technique but it will move at your pace and your coach will adjust the curriculum to you and your capabilities during your private lessons.

GS1371

Spectator
Country
United-States
I would recommend giving both a try if you can to see what works best! Years ago when I was doing group lessons as a teen I did find that the mixed classes (mainly kids) could be more challenging than adult classes. But adult classes also often progress quite quickly as I find adults learn quicker at the beginner levels (then usually plateau more than the kids once they get to jumps) than kids, as they just have better body awareness. I think two sessions skating per week is perfect to begin with, so would definitely suggest taking one of each type of class if you can! It all depends very much on the particular rink and coach as well, so you really have to try to know. You also may make some great skating friends in adult classes and then you’ll have someone to practice with :)
Great idea to take both and see which is more suitable - thank you!

GS1371

Spectator
Country
United-States
From a current pro who competed since I was 4-5 years old. You need to be in the Adult LTS at your age. You can't do the kids one.
You may also find that in addition to LTS you could find a private coach who could coach you and give you more focus and structure.

Good luck!
Thank you for your input - can I just ask why out of curiosity? Something physical or a more abstract reason?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your input - can I just ask why out of curiosity? Something physical or a more abstract reason?
If your particular skating club allows for it and doesn't have an age cut off for it, then go ahead. There are many places that restrict adults from kids LTS classes.

GS1371

Spectator
Country
United-States
If your particular skating club allows for it and doesn't have an age cut off for it, then go ahead. There are many places that restrict adults from kids LTS classes.
Oh, yes - the few clubs near me here in Pennsylvania do not have a cutoff age for the kids LTS classes so I can choose which to join. Sounds like this is pretty uncommon even in other parts of the U.S. since several people have said it's not allowed for them.

But given that it is allowed in my area, was just wondering if there were any serious disadvantages to taking the classes with the younger kids. I will ask the director at the club I'm planning to join and may even just try both adult and kids versions to see which is more "serious". I don't want to be there with only senior citizens (though no offense to them of course!).

GS1371

Spectator
Country
United-States
I can speak of Canada.

My daughter first joined a city's rec learn to skate program over the spring and summer, at 12 1/2 years old. The sessions were very small since it was the off-season, so she got somewhat semi-private lessons. She learned much faster than the young kids around her, but the environment was fine for her. My daughter went from waddling on the ice to three-jumps, spirals, and crossovers, forward and backward edges, full turn two-foot jumps, etc in her 3 1/2 months of classes.

In September of that year I tried a city adult advanced rec class briefly. It was full of senior citizens who only wanted to do the very first ice dance (Dutch Waltz) and were terrified at the thought of jumping or spinning. I quit after the first class and we both joined a skating club. They suggested she move right into their post-Canskate younger group, so I joined that as well to save on travel time (I hadn't skated in years but wasn't new to skating). The youngest kids in the group were 5-6, but there was also another adult and some older teens. Within two months we were both doing salchows. We stayed there all year.

The next year we moved to a different club. The coach suggested we both join the senior starskate group because of wanting to travel together and me being an adult, even though our skills aren't quite at that level. She figured my daughter would relate better to the 11-18-year-olds than the 10-12-year-olds as well, being that she was then almost 14.

Two winter seasons after starting in a skating club, we are now both firmly in Starskate, and have both competed and tested, though I choose to compete in the adult stream for the freedom of choice and creativity it allows. We're both at the level of working on starting axels. We still haven't quite caught up to the 12-year-olds in the group, but we're getting closer to one of them, who is still only sometimes landing her axel.

I'm looking at getting spring coaching this year from a club that puts my starskate level and up together with adults who have moved beyond canskate. So I guess I fit it both ways.

I've previously taken ballet with teens as an adult. I also took adult ballet classes. I much preferred the teen classes, as we were worked harder and held to a higher standard (I also found that taking them with old Russian federation ballerinas suited me well, as they tend to be more exacting).

Taking classes designed for those who want to progress in their skills and have skating goals is the right choice as an adult if that's what your goals are. That may or may not mean adult classes in your area. The instructor can guide you best.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, this is very helpful :) And it's awesome that you learned along with your daughter in the same classes!

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Thank you for further clarification and yes, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

What I found upon enrolling in the adult beginner classroom in my area was that these particular adults were, as you mentioned, not taking it seriously as my plans were. They only showed up at the rink once a week to skate before the class and in the class, so of course the coach would keep us practicing the same skills over and over and the pace was slow. No rocket science, a skater who puts more time into practice will probably progress faster than some doing it only a little bit, once a week.

You said in your first post that you don’t have budget limitations, so I wonder if starting with a coach’s private lessons would be the best idea for you. You can also go to the skating classroom lessons, if the kids lessons progress faster and you are allowed to be in them, I’d join them if I were you (can’t here, it’s not allowed).

Having a private coach since the beginning, you will learn proper technique but it will move at your pace and your coach will adjust the curriculum to you and your capabilities during your private lessons.
This is also true for group lessons in general. The instructor won't be taking risks teaching skills to those they think can't complete them safely.

As an adult beginner who started few months ago, I started in group lessons (free lessons 3x/week organised by the city). It worked wonders in building my confidence on ice. I had never been on ice before and was intimidated by others that can do more because they grew up skating (Russians skate often, I am from a tropical country with no ice so you get the picture). Like @LolaSkatesInJapan said, the instructor will keep doing the same thing over and over. But mine would usually give beginners easier skills, while teaching harder ones to more advanced in the group. It is slow but it helped build confidence for those like me who are more timid on ice. I've since moved on to private coaching after deciding to take things more seriously.

In your case, I would suggest going straight to private lessons since you already knew that you want something more structured and love the sense of challenge. I don't know how it works in the States but try going to one of each (group and private lesson) to see which one fits you best.

gkelly

Record Breaker
From my experience of group lessons in the US, which is less extensive than my experience of skaters taking private lessons, the kids in the group classes are likely to be just as recreationally focused as adults in group classes would be, perhaps more so. The kids who are serious about becoming figure skaters will soon start supplementing group lessons with private lessons and may switch over to private only by the time they are working on freeskating skills. Those who stick with group lessons only beyond the basic levels would likely be more recreational in their approach -- possibly more for financial reasons than because of interest or ability.

So if you are serious about advancing as quickly as possible, and if you can afford the time and money, you will probably also want to add and later switch to private lessons sooner rather than later. If you are going to start with group lessons, learning with skaters closer to your age would probably be more encouraging than working with little kids whose learning style and powers of concentration may be very different from yours.

Perhaps see whether there are many teen beginners at your rink and which classes they are taking.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
From my experience of group lessons in the US, which is less extensive than my experience of skaters taking private lessons, the kids in the group classes are likely to be just as recreationally focused as adults in group classes would be, perhaps more so. The kids who are serious about becoming figure skaters will soon start supplementing group lessons with private lessons and may switch over to private only by the time they are working on freeskating skills. Those who stick with group lessons only beyond the basic levels would likely be more recreational in their approach -- possibly more for financial reasons than because of interest or ability.

So if you are serious about advancing as quickly as possible, and if you can afford the time and money, you will probably also want to add and later switch to private lessons sooner rather than later. If you are going to start with group lessons, learning with skaters closer to your age would probably be more encouraging than working with little kids whose learning style and powers of concentration may be very different from yours.

Perhaps see whether there are many teen beginners at your rink and which classes they are taking.
Thank you for saying this more eloquently that I was in this thread lol!

Elija

On the Ice
In addition to my previous answer, I should also add that the mixed lessons for any age (that are mostly kids) do often include games and things like that at the beginner levels to make learning more fun. I coach LTS and do adapt the lesson to the age of the group, but when you have a large number of young kids, they do learn through play and can’t concentrate too long, so this is just something to be aware of. Not all adults love a good game of red light green light 😅

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
the games can work to help relax nervous adults, the kind who’s terrified to let go of the wall after they reluctantly step on the ice.
I’ve seen coaches at my home rink use games, even with objects like cones, or sledding toys (penguins , snowman, they must collect the penguins and bring them to the snowman etc) when working privately with adult students who were too scared to participate in the beginner adult classroom because even in the first class, letting go of the wall and marching from one side of the rink to the other is required, and the results were positive.
I don’t see why gamification couldn’t be used in adult beginner lessons as well.

Elija

On the Ice
the games can work to help relax nervous adults, the kind who’s terrified to let go of the wall after they reluctantly step on the ice.
I’ve seen coaches at my home rink use games, even with objects like cones, or sledding toys (penguins , snowman, they must collect the penguins and bring them to the snowman etc) when working privately with adult students who were too scared to participate in the beginner adult classroom because even in the first class, letting go of the wall and marching from one side of the rink to the other is required, and the results were positive.
I don’t see why gamification couldn’t be used in adult beginner lessons as well.
It can! But some adults hate it, so just pointing it out to be aware of.