Locks of Love | Golden Skate

Locks of Love

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Have any of you heard of this charity? They accept donations of you hair to make wigs for cancer patients. Today I cut off 12 inches and donated the pony tail to this organization.

Pretty neat idea... I just went in for a change not knowing that I might do something worthwhile.

Lucy25

Final Flight
It was great of you to do this! My sister-in-law had a friend some years back with cancer (who eventually died), and ever since then, she grows her hair out, donates it to Locks of Love, then starts the whole process over again. She does it in memory of her friend.

My mother-in-law gave to Locks of Love awhile ago, and recently a friend of mine with very long hair gave from a first cut and decided to go for a second cut, so she gave twice.
If I had the long hair I had 15+ years ago, I'd give...but I've kept my hair quite short for awhile now.
It was good of you to give your hair, Liz!

heyang

Record Breaker
I've heard of it, but haven't had my hair long enough to have enough inches to donate.

sk8m8

Final Flight
This organization also works with the Alopecia Areata patients. This is a heartbreaking disease for many, especially girls. This is the "balding disease" that affects quite a few people.

to read more go to http://www.naaf.org/default2.asp

brad640

On the Ice
I cringe when I see these women on TV with godawful hair saying they are going to donate to locks of love. There was someone on Oprah with hair past her knees who hadn't had so much as a trim in 20+ years. She had dry, broken split ends, and said she would donate to LoL. Whoever got a wig of her hair is better off bald.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
brad640 said:
I cringe when I see these women on TV with godawful hair saying they are going to donate to locks of love. There was someone on Oprah with hair past her knees who hadn't had so much as a trim in 20+ years. She had dry, broken split ends, and said she would donate to LoL. Whoever got a wig of her hair is better off bald.

Dont worry I had fantastic hair...

http://x43.xanga.com/ca8842e24553013705662/b9839092.jpg:p :p

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
brad640 said:

Have you ever been a bald 16 y/o girl? Hair has to be in at least 10 inch lengths so she probably had more than enough to get rid of the split ends and still have. plenty to donate. My GS's did this as a service project last year. We all grew our hair and celebrated with a spa day when we had it cut. I was surprised that they would accept mine since even my mother can't remember what it's natural color is:laugh: . Colored or permed hair is OK as long as it's not bleached. It was a very rewarding experience for my girls .

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
about how long is 10 inches? I've been thinking about just letting my hair grow out enough to donate... but at the same time my hair is starting to annoy me and I just might not be able to stand it lol

diver chick

On the Ice
My young cousin had leukaemia and lost her beautiful waist length red hair when she was 12. She had a wig which was absolutely fabulous but she hated it and refused to wear it unless her head got cold. She refused to allow peoples looks or comments get to her and all the kids in her class thought she looked really cool with her bald head and were dead jealous cause she could wear funky head scarves and hats in class. Sometimes I think adults could learn a hell of a lot from children!
So when I decide to cut my waist length hair I will donate it to whatever the British equivalent is, because if it helps to make one person more comfortable with themselves and their illness, whatever it might be then it is a small price to pay.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
about how long is 10 inches? I've been thinking about just letting my hair grow out enough to donate... but at the same time my hair is starting to annoy me and I just might not be able to stand it lol

It depends on how short you are willing to style it after the trim... I was unprepared to have hair above chin length, I cut it to just above my shoulders which means that to harvest 10 inches it had to grow about the the clasp of my bra strap in the back (sorry for the odd measurement, but I couldnt think of a less graphic way to put it).

But if you could handle a pixie cut, then I'm sure a few inches below the shoulder would be long enough to donate.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:
It depends on how short you are willing to style it after the trim... I was unprepared to have hair above chin length, I cut it to just above my shoulders which means that to harvest 10 inches it had to grow about the the clasp of my bra strap in the back (sorry for the odd measurement, but I couldnt think of a less graphic way to put it).

But if you could handle a pixie cut, then I'm sure a few inches below the shoulder would be long enough to donate.

hmmmmmmmm I'm almost to that length... I like my hair normally right below my chin so...... I guess I'll start asking around to which hair places do the donate thing...:scratch:

lil lion 816

Rinkside
The dentist I use is a guy, and one who really likes his Harleys. :rolleye: I had to go in this summer and have a bonding re-done on a tooth. He came in wearing a really *wild* looking kerchief around his head and I asked him if he had just gotten off his Harley (he rides the thing to work often - it's a beaut. ;)) He replied that no, he was going to grow his hair enough to donate to Locks of Love, and he had to wear the kerchief to keep his hair out of his eyes while it was growing!
I couldn't help teasing him and saying that I wanted a picture if he started wearing his hair in cornrow braids. Note: that's been over 3 months so he might have graduated from the pigtail he was wearing to dreadlocks by now. :rofl:

All for a good cause, though! I can't stand to grow my hair that long, LOL, but kudos to those who do. :)