The Journey to replace 20 year old Klingbiels: Advice Solicited | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Journey to replace 20 year old Klingbiels: Advice Solicited

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I know that Klingbeil doesn't exist, and one of the reasons is because they didn't future proof themselves. Yes there are some young people but there are so few companies and they have small staffs so the skills are limited.

Having tried Aura they aren't fully custom. They claim to be, but they aren't. Yes they make a 3D model and print a shell from that, but that shell isn't the same as the custom boots made by Harlick etc. They provide the shell to the skate tech who attaches a blade, heats and puts on your foot with cling film, then the skate tech does the work to try to make it fit. Aura also only provide a very basic flat insole, like you get from the dollar store, so you have to provide your own if you want any sort of support. My understanding (don't have personal experience) is that Harlick etc made the insoles specific to the buyer's foot so the boots were fully customised and ready to wear.
That's not really correct.
They 3D print a model of the foot and build the skate around that. The issue is, due to the nature of the material, the boot isnt malluable - its very solid, which is why the heat mould is crucial to get the best fit possible (as a long time happy aura user I can confirm my boots always fit like a glove) and also to make it fit the foot more like a glove. From what I understand from friends who used them, for a while they made boots too big for some people without telling them (as they thought adult skaters wanted more comfort) which if true was an absolutely stupid decision.

Having an extra heat moulding after the boot has been custom made (to the foot shape - which is definitely visually the case for me), doesn't make them non custom.

However this argument is a little bit of a moot point as they no longer sell custom boots after being bought over by John Wilson. The way they shut the company down and then sold it without informing customers has kind of turned me off from them as a company (although since JW now run it that's not really important). Either way I can't get dance boots from aura anymore so will be forced to switch pretty soon anyways.

Lucie

Rinkside
However this argument is a little bit of a moot point as they no longer sell custom boots after being bought over by John Wilson. The way they shut the company down and then sold it without informing customers has kind of turned me off from them as a company (although since JW now run it that's not really important). Either way I can't get dance boots from aura anymore so will be forced to switch pretty soon anyways.
Huh really? That’s interesting. Their website is still mostly dedicated to talking about the custom nature of their boots, and aura seems to be designed to work only as custom, even the Sky boot seems to be made to order so not really a stock boot, not sure how they would continue to operate if they don’t do customs?

anomalily

Rinkside
2e1f8c282b227d695070bd15f4484acfa29b7aad_2_375x500.jpeg

Boot pictures! So they made the tongue metallic accidentally. If I accept the metallic tongue I get $100 off. If I want the suede tongue it will take a few more days, no discount.

I think the metallic tongue looks great but the concern was durability - laces will wear on the tongue constantly and possible it will flake.

What do folks think? avoiding possibly flaking tongue worth $100?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Boot pictures! So they made the tongue metallic accidentally. If I accept the metallic tongue I get $100 off. If I want the suede tongue it will take a few more days, no discount.

I think the metallic tongue looks great but the concern was durability - laces will wear on the tongue constantly and possible it will flake.

I love the metallic pink, but would want that on outer shell of boot, IDK how well that's going to wear on the tongue with lacing etc.
Otherwise, they're :rock:!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Huh really? That’s interesting. Their website is still mostly dedicated to talking about the custom nature of their boots, and aura seems to be designed to work only as custom, even the Sky boot seems to be made to order so not really a stock boot, not sure how they would continue to operate if they don’t do customs?
John Wilson bought them over and haven't changed it yet probably but they are only producing sky right now. Sky boots aren't custom, they have 3 different widths that suit different feet (so shops either have to order full size run which can be expensive or alternatively measure then order)

Lucie

Rinkside
John Wilson bought them over and haven't changed it yet probably but they are only producing sky right now. Sky boots aren't custom, they have 3 different widths that suit different feet (so shops either have to order full size run which can be expensive or alternatively measure then order)
Not a great move from JW then, as surely custom is the main ethos of Aura

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Besides possible flaking (ask the Riedell rep about that), I'd also be concerned whether the metallic tongue is too smooth for laces to grip onto it properly. The nap on suede is great for lace grip, but after repeated lacing and unlacing, the nap does wear off.

christy

On the Ice

That's not really correct.
They 3D print a model of the foot and build the skate around that. The issue is, due to the nature of the material, the boot isnt malluable - its very solid, which is why the heat mould is crucial to get the best fit possible (as a long time happy aura user I can confirm my boots always fit like a glove) and also to make it fit the foot more like a glove. From what I understand from friends who used them, for a while they made boots too big for some people without telling them (as they thought adult skaters wanted more comfort) which if true was an absolutely stupid decision.

Having an extra heat moulding after the boot has been custom made (to the foot shape - which is definitely visually the case for me), doesn't make them non custom.

The reason I said they aren't true custom is because they don't provide a customized insole, just something from a Dollar Store, and the boots they made for me were more than 15mm longer than the foot measurements. When I asked why they'd made them so much larger than the measurements they just said they could reprint more boots until they made something that worked, which isn't my experience of original custom bootmakers.

christy

On the Ice

They look absolutely amazing, but I can understand your concerns about flaking, etc. I'd ask them what the chances of that happening are, and if they can give you some kind of warranty should you have problems within a certain time period. Obviously it's a finish they have used before so hopefully it's durable.

anomalily

Rinkside
My skate tech/wholesaler is gonna ask about the MK Dynasties. She hasn’t gotten them for anyone yet but as long as her rep gives her good info on it, she’s down for it

mskater93

Record Breaker
Unknown, but a friend who had been waiting 12+ months for hers got her deposit back from Aura

anomalily

Rinkside
I got the tongues replaced, and they did them QUICK! MY SKATES GOT SHIPPED OUT TODAY. I can't believe I will have brand new skates SO SOON

I'm getting the MK Dynasty blades after talking with some folks.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
e0fe8e128f8d0fc94fa7786b2e5245df6c0e6eb9_2_666x500.jpeg

They have arrived. I am having NO END of issues getting a pair of MK dynastys though. I have called 5 different suppliers, and had one order cancelled.
Yeah, unfortunately the supply chain issues are affecting blade makers too, I've heard Coronation Aces and MK Pros are impossible to get if you can't find a store that doesn't have stock still. Even heard at least one store said they couldn't even place an order to Wilson because they didn't know when they'd be able to fulfill it.

Elija

On the Ice
Yeah, unfortunately the supply chain issues are affecting blade makers too, I've heard Coronation Aces and MK Pros are impossible to get if you can't find a store that doesn't have stock still. Even heard at least one store said they couldn't even place an order to Wilson because they didn't know when they'd be able to fulfill it.
Gold seal too, I have been waiting five months :(

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Really? My friend got a pair in like 2 days to go on her new boots. What size? I think hers are either a 10 or 10 1/4
It all depends on where you are. Some markets seem to have priority and have plenty of stock.