The Journey to replace 20 year old Klingbiels: Advice Solicited | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Journey to replace 20 year old Klingbiels: Advice Solicited

anomalily

Rinkside
I have slightly bad news. I'm worried they don't fit. I know they need to get heat molded but the toes are REALLY tight. Oh no. But I only tried one foot, I didn't have much time at home last night.

Elija

On the Ice
Really? My friend got a pair in like 2 days to go on her new boots. What size? I think hers are either a 10 or 10 1/4
9. I’m not in Europe or North America, so as was posted above I don’t think we are priority. They are apparently meant to be coming in early may. If they don’t I will look into getting them from elsewhere as I can’t wait any longer.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I have slightly bad news. I'm worried they don't fit. I know they need to get heat molded but the toes are REALLY tight. Oh no. But I only tried one foot, I didn't have much time at home last night.
I just got new skates and the toes were really really tight. I think, a month later, I may still get one stretched a tiny bit in the toes, but they did stretch a bit (after heat molding).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They really are gorgeous. Aside from the flaking worries, I think they look much better with the light-colored suede tongue. Good call on getting it replaced!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Remember that this is the tightest your boots will ever feel. The padding will bed down, whether or not you heat mold them. I was worried about my toes in my current Jacksons when I first tried them but the fitter was absolutely correct in saying that they would be fine.

anomalily

Rinkside
It’s physically painful in a sharp way (not a pressing way) on my left foot top of my toes (which are hammertoes). It feels like they got measured wrong more than they are just tight- the other side is tight but not like an OWW OWW OWW pain. I can’t even lace up the left side bottom.

Little worried. I Hope i don’t have to send them back.

I had TWO blade orders canceled after I had already paid. Called 8 shops total. Finally found one in stock (skates US), and they shipped today.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It’s physically painful in a sharp way (not a pressing way) on my left foot top of my toes (which are hammertoes). It feels like they got measured wrong more than they are just tight- the other side is tight but not like an OWW OWW OWW pain. I can’t even lace up the left side bottom.

I had TWO blade orders canceled after I had already paid. Called 8 shops total. Finally found one in stock (skates US), and they shipped today.
see if they can heat them and expand the top of the toebox a bit. I have hammertoes as well and had to have this done a few times.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I had TWO blade orders canceled after I had already paid. Called 8 shops total. Finally found one in stock (skates US), and they shipped today
Just want to confirm. You didn't order through a local fitter. You dealt directly with Dan at Riedell. Is that correct? If so, I would recommend that you contact him, discuss your issues, and ask him how you should proceed (e.g., he might have a preferred local tech for you to work with).

anomalily

Rinkside
Just want to confirm. You didn't order through a local fitter. You dealt directly with Dan at Riedell. Is that correct?
Correct, but I have a local veteran fitter and skate tech who will do the heat molding and mounting and such for me. She’s known Dan for decades. Once my blades are in, we’ll meet and she will take a look. If she thinks it isn’t fixable, I’ll reach out to Dan. I really hope heat molding can fix it. But if not, I guess I am no worse off

anomalily

Rinkside
YALL YALL

I got to skate in them today And I love them. The MK Dynasty blades are A DREAM (thank you @Ic3Rabbit for the suggestion) and they centered so well on my first sit spin out of the gate that I took a picture and made everyone look at the ice tracing.

anomalily

Rinkside
I'm gonna make y'all look at the ice tracing too

b0c963347e6f0bbe252ea5c4f4a2f2864525f4f7_2_421x750.jpeg

c67a2cf967cb5eec7fbe89ebfda5dd8cda8ac9c4_2_562x750.jpeg

71a0354fe50bb892704235dec0f4059e5ee8ef14_2_421x750.jpeg

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm glad all worked out for you. So, some heat molding was enough to fix the tight toe box issue?

anomalily

Rinkside
So, some heat molding was enough to fix the tight toe box issue?
I'm not gonna say it's 100%. It's definitely still tight there, and it's right on the metallic edging around the laces, so the tech didn't want to stretch it and have it flake. We did two things: heat molding, and belt sanding the front of my insoles off to make more room in the boot. The toe box was fine length wise, etc, but the issue was my hammertoes pressing into the top of the boot where the tongue meets the boot. When my pink laces arrive, I'll also cut out some of the foam in the tongue (it's a split wool/foam tongue) right above the hammertoes to try to open it up a bit more.

I only got to skate in them for 40 minutes today because I had to (ugh) go to work like an adult. It's so unfair that I now have adult money to spend on fun things like pink skates, but I have to work to make that money and have less time for skating!
If I can file these stories, I'm going to try to swing by the rink for another hour this afternoon. But i am having trouble concentrating!

anomalily

Rinkside
Also, I didn't realize how broken down my old skates were. They're like butter...I can't believe I was even doing doubles in those last week. These skates are a lower stiffness rating (my old skates were rated for triples) but they're still like 10x more stiff than my klingbiels are currently.

Mariposa22

Spectator
Posting to say hello. I've read this thread and have been following your journey with great interest. Glad the new skates were so good on day #1; what a beautifully centered spin!

anomalily

Rinkside
BAD NEWS: the pink laces do not match and are too wide.

Anyone want to help me find (unwaxed) cotton pink laces that are 112" or longer?

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
BAD NEWS: the pink laces do not match and are too wide.

Anyone want to help me find (unwaxed) cotton pink laces that are 112" or longer?
If you're looking for 100% cotton figure skate laces, I don't believe they're made anymore. One online site used to carry new old stock, but they've run out.

My favorite laces are Derby Laces, but they are waxed polyester. They are lightly waxed, not stiff or tarry like other waxed laces. I reviewed them several years ago here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/new-laces-for-the-new-year.79116/. The CORE laces are available in 120" length in a wide range of colors; looks like there are three shades of pink (pink cotton candy, hot pink, rose petal): https://derbylaces.com/product-cate...-core-laces/120-inch-305-cm-waxed-core-laces/. [In the US, shipping is free if you order 2 or more pairs of laces, regardless of size or color.]

The CORE laces fit a bit more snugly than original Riedell laces, but they work fine on Riedell boots. [The EDGE laces are narrower, and come in a larger range of lengths. But the only colors are black, white, and tan.]

Last edited: