New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Hersh Article- says Kwan probably won't be at December event

R.D.

Record Breaker
But you could hope that her injuries will prevent her from skating well. This is the Nats you've been waiting for.

Why would anyone hope that? Sure, I've been waiting for a long time for someone other than kwan to win Nats. But, that doesn't mean I wish injury on anyone. I wish nothing but the best for Kwan herself. I'd really like to see her compete at the OLYs. It's some of her fans, on the other hand, that I've had issues with in the past.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Considering that the US champ hasn't been the highest placed ladies at Olys since 1992, I am wondering how badly Michelle (or Sasha) really wants that Nats title this year.

leon

Rinkside
When to peak?

attyfan said:
Considering that the US champ hasn't been the highest placed ladies at Olys since 1992, I am wondering how badly Michelle (or Sasha) really wants that Nats title this year.
To build on your thought and as both a fan of Kwan and a fan of the other many skaters I enjoy watching -- this might be the first Olympic year Michelle peaks not at Nationals but at the Olympics and gives us the original fresh high energy and passionate programs she's fully capable of at the Olympics. "Nationals? --- just get me the ticket to Italy!"

Eeyora

Final Flight
If you sum it up it says what we have known all along if Cohen is healthy she will be there. Itotally agree about Mao. It is possible she will peak before the Olympics and by then her time will have come. But hopefull she grows more and more as a skater

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Mathman said:
To me, Hersh has nothing to say in this article, but hey, you gotta write something. Couldn't he at least have done some kind of a phone interview with Michelle? (Or maybe she's not talking. ;) )

Anyway, we are none the wiser for this article, IMHO.

Mathman :)

Finally...it seems that Michelle has tired of having to talk to Hersh and has foisted the duty onto her agent, LOL. If you've ever seen him trot after her every move at events, it's actually rather entertaining.

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
I think Michelle and all the people surrounding her know if Michelle should attend the Boston Cheesefest. If she's not fully recoverd and got all the jumps back, there is no need to fly two days of round trip for the event. She and her coaches can easily study the CoP at home and make her programs CoP friendly. Before nationals and Olympics, good training time and resting well are more important than anything else.

Eeyora said:
If you sum it up it says what we have known all along if Cohen is healthy she will be there. Itotally agree about Mao. It is possible she will peak before the Olympics and by then her time will have come. But hopefull she grows more and more as a skater
Cohen, imo, peaked at Dortmund Worlds in the QR program. Prior to that she gave an exceptionally clean and fine performance at the Campbells. At Moscow Worlds, she skated, imo, her warmest performance to date.

For me, Michelle's rivalry with Irina has been replaced with Sasha. It's the old debate of Irina's Technical v. Sasha's Performance. While I believe Sasha will outperform Irina, I can not see that would be enough to overtake the powerful Technical of Irina. If she gets the confidence she needs, Shizuka has the best shot for gold in Torino. Of course, Mao would more than likely win it if the judges get carried away with the little girl syndrome. JMO

Joe

flowjo35

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
For me, Michelle's rivalry with Irina has been replaced with Sasha. It's the old debate of Irina's Technical v. Sasha's Performance. While I believe Sasha will outperform Irina, I can not see that would be enough to overtake the powerful Technical of Irina.

Joe, has Sasha come close to beating Irina since Irina's comeback? I am not sure Irina has a rivarly with anyone at this point in the season. I just hope that all the ladies skate the best they can at the olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
For me, Michelle's rivalry with Irina has been replaced with Sasha. It's the old debate of Irina's Technical v. Sasha's Performance. While I believe Sasha will outperform Irina, I can not see that would be enough to overtake the powerful Technical of Irina. If she gets the confidence she needs, Shizuka has the best shot for gold in Torino. Of course, Mao would more than likely win it if the judges get carried away with the little girl syndrome. JMO

Joe

Am I missing something, or is Mao not age-eligible and therefore NOT going to the OLYs?

R.D.

Record Breaker
flowjo35 said:
Joe, has Sasha come close to beating Irina since Irina's comeback? I am not sure Irina has a rivarly with anyone at this point in the season. I just hope that all the ladies skate the best they can at the olympics.

I also agree.

Irina.............................................................................................................................................................................................
everyone else.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I think past Olympics have proven that no one is a lock for the Oly gold, male or female........Michelle, Sasha, Irina, whoever. It's all about that night and that skate and who buckles under the pressure. Having a stellar season and going into this particular competition at the top of the heap is not a sure thing.........Michelle and Irina can attest to that..........42

R.D.

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
I think past Olympics have proven that no one is a lock for the Oly gold, male or female........Michelle, Sasha, Irina, whoever. It's all about that night and that skate and who buckles under the pressure. Having a stellar season and going into this particular competition at the top of the heap is not a sure thing.........Michelle and Irina can attest to that..........42

The problem between then and now is the system. Right now, Irina would be winning under ANY system, because she's clearly outskating everyone at this point. But, with Cop you see the GAP between Irina and everyone else.

Will the Cop (I'm talking judges) allow other skaters to catch up or surpass her should she not give her best performance? That's the question. If Irina is clean, she has the gold- plain and simple. If not her, I'd say a Japanese lady is going to win. I think I'll be cheering for that Japanese lady. (Or whoever can beat Irina).

nymkfan51

Medalist
The answer to your question RD is no.

With COP, certainly the tech marks can change, depending on what the skaters do that night. But the PCS ... the judges have already decided where each skater fits in ... much like the old presentation mark. Skaters like Irina, Plushy, T&M and N&K have skated well this GP season and the judges have placed them above everyone else. So even if they are to make a mistake or two at the Olympics, there is room to take their PCS marks down a bit and still have them ahead of the rest of the field. ... only the minimum deductions on the tech mark.

To be completely honest with you, I'm already sort of disappointed about the upcoming Olympics. For me, I can't remember a past Olympics where I felt so sure who all the winners would be. The only ones who are in the slightest bit of question are T&M, and that's only because of the situation with S&Z. If they were to be able, by some miracle, to compete in top form in Torino, then I would say we might at least have a contest there.

Otherwise ... it's a Russian sweep. We need a broom emoticon.

cianni

On the Ice
Oh see my tears

Couldnt agree more NYMKfan51. The writing is on the wall the winners are already being primed. Im also disappoined and quite frankly discussed at the inflated marks already being given. Id say at this point Irina could fall 4 times and they would find a way to hold her up. I must admit I have not been interested this season and only catch the comps if I remember and I dont most of the time. The skaters are not for the most part skating clean or well but still get laughable marks. I was at SA and I can assure you it was a joke and I wouldnt pay again to see a live comp the skating was awful for most skaters and thats not my idea of wanting to go see a live comp. Its time for a new type of fan and Im not sure who will be pleased with falls, hand down, tripping and all the other mistakes being rewarded with medals. We will have to wait and see. I not impressed with this new way to cheat and reward who is choosen to win. I do miss Michelle and hope to see her skate no matter where she ends up on or off the podium.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Count me in as one of those disappointed folks. Oh man, if only the casual once-in-every-4-years fans knew what's coming...(where's that drama icon when you need it?!)

Maybe it's better they didn't know, though.

show 42 said:
True Show - Just ask Sarah about THAT night.

But given what we know so far, it seems that a Russian sweep is in the making, and I am not disagreeing with that knowledge. Those skaters work hard and they deserve this Olympic glory.

Of course I will watch the Olys on TV (wish I were there though, and see everyone) and while I will not expect diversified gold medals, I will enjoy seeing all theskaters that NBC allows me competiting.

As for Irina and Michelle, I see them as the creme de la creme of figure skating competitions and I'm sure there will be no 'pressure' for these two standard bearers. They've been there, done that.

I think Shizuka and Sasha will feel some pressure. They don't have the history that Kwan has to go out a winner anyway, but it's a battle for silver and bronze. Johnny will have some high butterflies for his first Olys as will Emanual and Jeffrey - not that they expect to win but they want to make statements like silver and bronze But they will be facing Brian, Stephane and Stefan as well as Daisuke. The Singles events will still be interesting to watch.

Without S&Z and maybe B&A, the other competitions will be ho hum for me. Although, I like that Canadian dance team.

Joe

JMO - Joe

cianni said:
...The skaters are not for the most part skating clean or well but still get laughable marks. I was at SA and I can assure you it was a joke and I wouldnt pay again to see a live comp the skating was awful for most skaters and thats not my idea of wanting to go see a live comp. Its time for a new type of fan and Im not sure who will be pleased with falls, hand down, tripping and all the other mistakes being rewarded with medals...
Cianni, I think we need to remember that these are amateur athletes out there doing the best they can. I think we were spoiled by Michelle's run. She was a teen prodigy who then stayed in the game even after her skills had matured to the professional level.

Previously, it was the norm for young skaters to give it the old college try, falls and all, grab a medal -- and then the very best would go on to hone their skills as professional athletes/entertainers. In the current season, Irina (also Evgeni) is skating at the professional level, and she is staying on her feet while the true amateurs are doing what amateurs do -- hence Irina's high scores.

Mathman :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
In the current season, Irina (also Evgeni) is skating at the professional level, and she is staying on her feet while the true amateurs are doing what amateurs do -- hence Irina's high scores.

ah. There just might be something in this statement.

kyla2

Final Flight
My Opinion

I won't have any problem with Irina winning IF she is scored fairly. Meaning that she is not artificially bumped up or mistakes ignored i.e. doesn't land the jump properly. I have re-watched her program and yes, she deserved her SP wins but I am not sure about her LP wins. She has the technical, but her presentation still is lacking. She is not Sasha's equal or Shizuka's for that matter. Her program is not great guns either. In fact, apart from her technical, there isn't much there, there. Sasha's program is better and SHizuka's is infinitely better.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
kyla2 said:
I won't have any problem with Irina winning IF she is scored fairly. Meaning that she is not artificially bumped up or mistakes ignored i.e. doesn't land the jump properly. I have re-watched her program and yes, she deserved her SP wins but I am not sure about her LP wins. She has the technical, but her presentation still is lacking. She is not Sasha's equal or Shizuka's for that matter. Her program is not great guns either. In fact, apart from her technical, there isn't much there, there. Sasha's program is better and SHizuka's is infinitely better.

How is Sasha's program better? Is it the intense front-loading? The weak, shallow edges? The tortise-like pace at which she crawls across the ice? Or is it the generic "play any music and I can use the same program" choreography? Take away her flexibility, and Cohen has NOTHING. At least Irina looks alive out there.