Question about SP rules | Golden Skate

Question about SP rules

sloopie

Spectator
I'm a long time lurker - I posted a bit several years ago but have realized I'm nowhere near most of the posters here in terms of knowledge, so I'm a bit hesitant to post what is probably a stupid question publicly. Please be gentle!

It seems to be, about 10 years ago a lot of skaters would change their short programs on the fly, to avoid losing credit for the required combination. So, if someone had a 3Lutz-2Toe planned, plus a 3Loop as a solo jump: if they fell on the Lutz, they'd call that their single jump and throw the combo in later (or at least try to). IIRC, this was fairly common, though Dick Button (and at the time, Scott Hamilton, I believe) would grumble about the risks of altering a program.

It seems this is never done any more. Did the rules change, or did skaters decide it wasn't worth the risk? Or did the COP factor into it - the SP isn't as crucial now, since it's possible to make up more ground in the LP.

I'm just curious, since it was sometimes a successful maneuver (and not usually a catastrophe), and it's gone so completely out of style. Then again, my memory isn't totally reliable, so maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Welcome Sloopie, (BTW I love your song:biggrin: ). I have been wondering the same thing about adding or changing things in the SP. Don't worry about what you post..we're all learning here, just some faster than others, LOL. You can always post your opinions too..no matter what they are!

rain

Record Breaker
Technically, I believe skaters can still do so, but you are right, they rarely do. Possibly in the last couple of years it's been dictated by the new COP system, meaning skaters might just be executing their planned program because they're not sure what the effect points-wise of throwing in the combo might be. One would think more skaters might have it planned as a contingency as the combo is worth the most points to them of the jump elements in the short. But then again, perhaps they are too worried that if they screw up the combo attempt again they'll just be ruining two elements instead of one.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Well technically, the solo jump has to be out of footwork, and your combo may not be so if you use that as your solo jump in CoP, you run a risk of it being given absolutely no credit, whereas under 6.0 you might be able to get away with this a bit easier, with the more flexible rules.

heyang

Record Breaker
I would think that COP makes it harder to improvise since the technical caller probably has certain expectations of what you are planning to do. Kinda disappointing because that last minute decision to add an element can always lead to surprises. Didn't Oksana throw in a triple at the end of her Oly LP which gave her a technical boost to match Nancy's scores?

LBC

On the Ice
I am thinking the same thing about the solo triple being out of footwork. You still get some credit for doing the first jump in the combo even if you fell. If there is no triple out of footwork I'm guessing you get nothing. So if you do the combo later your first jump gets zero.

Let me do an example and see how this goes.

Normal
3lutz/2toe 7.3
3 flip 5.5
Total 12.8

Fall on the 3 lutz
3lutz 6.0-3.0 goe= 3.0
3 flip 5.5
Total 8.5

Fall on combo but do it later
7.3 for combo
zero for no triple out of steps
total 7.3

So doing the combo later loses you points. Unless you do your combo out footwork which you probably are not planning on often you are losing points by changing it. I am forgetting the fall deduction on the first scenerio. That would be 7.5. Still not gaining anything by changing it.

With COP do NOT change your program. Unless it is putting a combo on a jump that you couldn't do earlier to avoid the zayak rule don't mess with it. Most of the time you lose points.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
heyang said:
I would think that COP makes it harder to improvise since the technical caller probably has certain expectations of what you are planning to do. Kinda disappointing because that last minute decision to add an element can always lead to surprises. Didn't Oksana throw in a triple at the end of her Oly LP which gave her a technical boost to match Nancy's scores?

Oksana threw in a double axel-double toe combination in her Olympic LP because she did not do a combination and she needed one. Earlier she had doubled a triple toe but she added one later in place of the double axel, so she needed the double axel at the end.

Vash

LBC said:

Normal
3lutz/2toe 7.3
3 flip 5.5
Total 12.8

Fall on the 3 lutz
3lutz 6.0-3.0 goe= 3.0
3 flip 5.5
Total 8.5
In this example does one presume that the skater got up quickly and did a 2T?
and got a GoE of 3.

What I'm trying to figure out is why the GoE would be 3.0 if the skater fell? and what happened to the 2T?

Joe

Thanks MM. So it is 7.3 less -3(goe) + 4.3 less -1.3 for no Toe = 3.0. I presume the 3.0 is for the attempt.

Am I correct?

Joe

CDMM1991

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Thanks MM. So it is 7.3 less -3(goe) + 4.3 less -1.3 for no Toe = 3.0. I presume the 3.0 is for the attempt.

Am I correct?

Joe

Yes, you are :agree:

antmanb

Record Breaker
LBC said:
I am thinking the same thing about the solo triple being out of footwork. You still get some credit for doing the first jump in the combo even if you fell. If there is no triple out of footwork I'm guessing you get nothing. So if you do the combo later your first jump gets zero.

Normal
3lutz/2toe 7.3
3 flip 5.5
Total 12.8

Fall on the 3 lutz
3lutz 6.0-3.0 goe= 3.0
3 flip 5.5
Total 8.5

Fall on combo but do it later
7.3 for combo
zero for no triple out of steps
total 7.3

So doing the combo later loses you points. Unless you do your combo out footwork which you probably are not planning on often you are losing points by changing it. I am forgetting the fall deduction on the first scenerio. That would be 7.5. Still not gaining anything by changing it.

With COP do NOT change your program. Unless it is putting a combo on a jump that you couldn't do earlier to avoid the zayak rule don't mess with it. Most of the time you lose points.

But you don't get no points for not doing a triple out of steps, if you fall on the triple lutz and have no steps in front of it you're going to get -3 in the GOE for the fall regardless of any -GOEs you'd get for not having steps in front of it since -3 is as low as it could go so you'd get 3 points of the total for a triple lutz (plus the 1 point deduction for falling) if you then put the double toe on the end of the triple flip from steps then the steps into it are an enhancer for the GOE and you might end up with better points as well as the 1.5 (or whatever the point value is) for a double toe.

Ant

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi Sloopie, never fear posting a question. We all learn from these questions. Welcome to GS, post often.

Dee

Sloopie. Welcome and I told you it would work out fine.

Sometimes one walks away more confused than the original question was. That's ok. It'll clear up eventually.

Joe:)