Buying second-hand Edea pianos? | Golden Skate

Buying second-hand Edea pianos?

AlessandraSkates

Spectator
Hello everyone! I have a question about buying figure skates. Currently, I'm 24 years old, 5 feet 5 inches tall (166cm), and weigh between 121-132 lbs (55-60 kg). I'm a beginner figure skater, using Edea Chorus skates, which seem suitable for my weight and skill level. They're still relatively new, so I don't need to replace them. However, I stumbled upon what seems like a great deal on Facebook – brand new Edea Pianos with John Wilson Gold Seal Revolution blades. The skates have only been used for a week by someone who suffered an injury and hasn't skated for two years. The combo is priced at 350 euros, while a new set would typically cost around 1300 euros.
I've been fitted for my current skates, and the Pianos are the same size, although I'm aware that sizing can vary between models. I've heard that the Pianos are tighter, and I feel like my Chorus skates are a bit on the roomy side. Considering all this, would it be a good idea to buy the Pianos and keep them for when my Chorus skates wear out, giving me the opportunity to upgrade at a great price?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No. These skates and blades are way too advanced for you and you risk injury. Don't do it.

Last edited:

AlessandraSkates

Spectator
Only buy the Pianos if you (a) want to be laughed at and (b) fancy losing all your hard-gained current skating skills. Seriously, just pass.
No. These skates and blades are way too advanced for you and you risk injury. Don't do it.
No. They are too stiff for your level, and more importantly, Gold Seals are very advanced blades and you would hate life if you tried to skate in this setup.
Ok, thank you for the honest advice! But would it still be too much if I used them in like 2 to 3 years? That was kind of my intention, hence the 'when my chorus skates wear out'. I am leaning towards not buying them, but it does feel like I'm missing out because skates usually are so expensive to replace.

Ok, thank you for the honest advice! But would it still be too much if I used them in like 2 to 3 years? That was kind of my intention, hence the 'when my chorus skates wear out'. I am leaning towards not buying them, but it does feel like I'm missing out because skates usually are so expensive to replace.
The only way you would need Pianos in 2 to 3 years is if you'll be doing very high level jumps in 2 to 3 years, which is not going to happen, I'm sorry. Pretty much no one who starts as an adult without a freakishly extensive athletic background and/or the luckiest genetics will get to that point. I started at 19 and wish this wasn't true but it really is :,)

Is there anyone at your rink with the same boot size who is doing triples who you can tell about the deal you found?

Best of luck!

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You won't be doing triples in 2 to 3 years (sorry to be such a dreamstealer) and that set up will do nothing but halt your skating progress. And your feet may well need a different size or brand of boot by then. Even as adults our feet can change considerably and you will more than likely be throwing away a lot of money rather than saving some. Save your money for when you need new skates and then get fitted for the best ones for you and your skating. That will help you progress and enjoy your skating.

AlessandraSkates

Spectator
The only way you would need Pianos in 2 to 3 years is if you'll be doing at least triples in 2 to 3 years, which is not going to happen, I'm sorry. Pretty much no one who starts as an adult without a freakishly extensive athletic background and/or the luckiest genetics can ever hope to land anything above 2Lz or maybe, extremely rarely, 2A. I started at 19 and wish this wasn't true but it really is :,)

Is there anyone at your rink with the same boot size who is doing triples who you can tell about the deal you found?

Best of luck!
Unfortunately no one with the same size. Hopefully someone else will get great use of them. I’ve decided not to buy them.

Thank you for the advice!