The Shizuka Thread (Teenagers Not Wanted) | Golden Skate

The Shizuka Thread (Teenagers Not Wanted)

Will it be Miki, Caro or Kimmie.

One of them will be the 2006 gold medalist at the Olympics.

I think it will be Carolina!!!

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
None of the above. The Ladies winner this year will be a LADY, not a teenager.

Incidentally, Kostner is 19, Ando is 18 and Meissner is 16. Of the three, Meissner is the least likely to win a medal. She has great jumps, but the rest of her skating is rather ordinary, and she doesn't get high enough PCS scores to contend with Cohen, Slutskaya or Kwan. Ando has had a bad season so far and she will be skating a completely new program for the first time at Torino. She doesn't seem to have the confidence she had at the beginning of last season. Kostner's biggest problem is the famous Kostner nerves, which kick up big time when she skates at home.

blackrose050

Rinkside
chuckm said:
Incidentally, Kostner is 19, Ando is 18 and Meissner is 16. Of the three, Meissner is the least likely to win a medal. She has great jumps, but the rest of her skating is rather ordinary, and she doesn't get high enough PCS scores to contend with Cohen, Slutskaya or Kwan.

ITA about Kimmie. I just don't see her as being on the same level with the other ladies.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Sasha will win the OGM. :clap: Irina will win the silver. :clap: The bronze is up for grabs, I predict one of the Japanese ladies will take it. Caro will wilt under the pressure, unfortunately. Michelle will place no higher than FIFTH. Kimmie will place NINTH or TENTH.

You heard it here first! :laugh: :bow:

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Hmm....I don't realistically think that any of the above three has a realistic shot of winning the OGM.

If I had to pick, I'd choose Carolina(maybe's she'll win the silver...)

Now if only Mao Asada were three months older, then we'd really see some competition!

I think I'm with the crowd who thinks that unless Irina goes out there and stands in the middle of the ice without doing anything for 4 minutes, she has it in the bag.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I pick Miki to finish ahead of these three. But Carol could be held up, we all saw how the stage had been setup for since 2004 worlds. Kimmie may out jump them, but her other elements and PCS won't hold up against the other two.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think of the three, I'd put my money on Miki to finish the highest. Although Carolina could do pretty well, too. But she will be under a lot of pressure, and something tells me she'll fold under it. If she does hold her own, she could get something like 4th or 5th place. Or a bronze if someone like Arakawa or Kwan messes up.

Kimmie- international senior debut (at a major comp). I think the best we can hope for this gal is a top 10 finish. I just don't know how she's going to be scored in relation to everyone else.

P.S. OT- sasha winning? :laugh: :laugh: yeah right...

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Gang -

Does anyone think Shizuka can medal? Anyone at all?

cricket sounds . . . wind blowing through a field of trees . . . echoes bouncing off distant hills . . .

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Tenorguy said:
Gang -

cricket sounds . . . wind blowing through a field of trees . . . echoes bouncing off distant hills . . .

I don't see why not. She had a pretty consistent year in some tough competitions and rightfully should have been in the GP Final IMO. I guess the big question is how switching back to her old program is going to affect everything.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tenorguy said:
Gang -

I'll break the silence.

Definitely, man! I absolutely think she can medal. In fact, I'll say she has a shot at Gold. She's my pick to upset Irina should something go wrong. And I certainly won't mind her winning over Irina. Yup. :love:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Tenorguy said:
Yeah, I do. And I think she has the goods (as far as her skating goes) to win the whole thing.

IMO, her skating looks more refines than IS in many ways. Her edge and jumps more solid than Cohen. She is one of those skater's skater. But there are two disadvantage for her winning. 1) Her own confidence/nerve. imo, last min change back to the old music does not sound very confident, which could lead to her yeilding under pressure at Olympics. 2) The judge panel is not friendly to Japan.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
There you go DOG! I agree - Shiz is a babe and skating really fine. I think she has a shot but it was of interest to me that I didn't see her name much in the prediction lists scattered around the site.

And I agree with Shumzzy - Arakawa has been quite consistent in some difficult circomstances. Miki on the other hand ..... I just don't know.

Do the international judges notice her much? She seems "buried" in the pack somehow.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Tenorguy said:
There you go DOG! I agree - Shiz is a babe and skating really fine. I think she has a shot but it was of interest to me that I didn't see her name much in the prediction lists scattered around the site.

Well, then you looked in a wrong thread. This thread is talking about which 'teenage' will rise to the occation....u have to look into other prediction threads, there you will find Shiz's name. :)

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Many thanks Mzheng! I think Shizuka has it in her to be a champion. Didn't she beat Irina in one of the GP competitions 2 years ago?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Shiz is a babe and skating really fine. I think she has a shot

yeah, I'm with ya there :biggrin:

But here's my concern. She has already peaked- at 2004 Worlds by having the skate of her career. Now, what's the chance of that happening again? Not too high. It's very rare for a skater to have TWO "skates of their careers" in TWO major competitions (from what I've seen, anyway).

Another thing. She doesn't seem too motivated. She doesn't seem to want it or be hungry for it. Now, I think you should focus more on skating your best, but if you're not hungry for the gold, it won't show in your skating, and you will lose that edge. My concern is that Arakawa, even if clean, will appear uninspired and someone with inspiration will top her (likely Irina). Same thing about Sasha- I think she's got the opposite problem; she wants it TOO much. She'll become conservative, maybe even make a few mistakes. She'll bury herself and any chance she might have had at the Gold right then and there. But imagine if someone other than Irina ends up leading after the short? That's a lot of pressure!

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Tenorguy said:
Many thanks Mzheng! I think Shizuka has it in her to be a champion. Didn't she beat Irina in one of the GP competitions 2 years ago?

Wasn't she in 9th place in the same Worlds comp where the CoP-inexperienced and "missing from the scene" Kwan who performed her worst skate in a decade still ended up 4th? She would probably have less chances to win than a healthy Kwan. But it won't matter, anyway; neither of them will come even close to the gold (points-wise). Irina already has a lock on that.

Last edited: