Jason Brown awarded Button-Salchow Trophy | Golden Skate

Jason Brown awarded Button-Salchow Trophy

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This has been mentioned in various threads, but I love the story behind this Trophy, and think it deserves to be more widely known. Jason is only the fifth recipient in over 70 years.

the history of the Trophy from USFS YouTube:

The story began at the 1947 World Figure Skating Championship in Stockholm, where Dick Button's performance impressed Ulrich Salchow, ten-time winner of the World Figure Skating Championships and inventor of the now-famous Salchow jump. The judges awarded Dick second place, but Salchow thought he deserved the gold. Befriending the young talent, he invited Dick to select a trophy from his own vast collection, and as Dick did, a new tradition was born. Following the 1972 World Championships, Dick passed on the Salchow trophy to Misha Petkevich, and in 2010, Misha passed the trophy to Paul Wylie, the 1992 Olympic silver medalist, all in the spirit of commemorating a passion for excellence, generosity of mentorship, and a love of skating that now spans more than seven decades. Now, more than 10 years later, the Trophy has been passed onto Jason Brown and will now be awarded every four years to a new recipient.

From the speeches at the awarding of the Trophy, where both Paul Wylie and Misha Petkevich presented to Jason, any dance, singles or pairs skater anywhere in the world is eligible for the Trophy. The Trophy award is based on skating excellence "above and beyond the rules of competition", among other criteria.

Jason's response:

withwings

On the Ice
This has been mentioned in various threads, but I love the story behind this Trophy, and think it deserves to be more widely known. Jason is only the fifth recipient in over 70 years.

the history of the Trophy from USFS YouTube:

The story began at the 1947 World Figure Skating Championship in Stockholm, where Dick Button's performance impressed Ulrich Salchow, ten-time winner of the World Figure Skating Championships and inventor of the now-famous Salchow jump. The judges awarded Dick second place, but Salchow thought he deserved the gold. Befriending the young talent, he invited Dick to select a trophy from his own vast collection, and as Dick did, a new tradition was born. Following the 1972 World Championships, Dick passed on the Salchow trophy to Misha Petkevich, and in 2010, Misha passed the trophy to Paul Wylie, the 1992 Olympic silver medalist, all in the spirit of commemorating a passion for excellence, generosity of mentorship, and a love of skating that now spans more than seven decades. Now, more than 10 years later, the Trophy has been passed onto Jason Brown and will now be awarded every four years to a new recipient.

From the speeches at the awarding of the Trophy, where both Paul Wylie and Misha Petkevich presented to Jason, any dance, singles or pairs skater anywhere in the world is eligible for the Trophy. The Trophy award is based on skating excellence "above and beyond the rules of competition", among other criteria.

Jason's response:

Fantastic!👏👏👏 Thank you for posting el henry!

DancingCactus

Final Flight
This is fantastic and a wonderful story.

But I think awarding it regularly somewhat cheapens it because you have to find someone to award it to every four years even though this is clearly a unusual trophy for exceptional and unusual skaters. Not sure someone of Jason's calibre can be found every four years.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is fantastic and a wonderful story.

But I think awarding it regularly somewhat cheapens it because you have to find someone to award it to every four years even though this is clearly a unusual trophy for exceptional and unusual skaters. Not sure someone of Jason's calibre can be found every four years.
I think they could have given it some more freedom but the trophy is worth more if it's more than just a collection piece on someone's mantle for many decades... The unusual skater receiving it may be able to get visibility from it.

Now, If we look at the last two recipients, Paul Wylie and Jason Brown, I think we could find a few skaters in between these two (that's about 3 decades isn't it) who may have been great options. I won't name anyone because I don't want this thread to derail into "who do you think should have won it " :) but i definitely have a few ideas ;)

As a matter of fact, I had never heard about this trophy before... probably because it was some sort of "i give it to whomever when i feel to do so" kind of trophy. So it is already "worth" more now that fans know it exists.

Magill

Record Breaker
I think they could have given it some more freedom but the trophy is worth more if it's more than just a collection piece on someone's mantle for many decades... The unusual skater receiving it may be able to get visibility from it.

Now, If we look at the last two recipients, Paul Wylie and Jason Brown, I think we could find a few skaters in between these two (that's about 3 decades isn't it) who may have been great options. I won't name anyone because I don't want this thread to derail into "who do you think should have won it " :) but i definitely have a few ideas ;)

As a matter of fact, I had never heard about this trophy before... probably because it was some sort of "i give it to whomever when i feel to do so" kind of trophy. So it is already "worth" more now that fans know it exists.
I would not even be worried about the lack of deserving candidates, especially if you want to make up for all the decades gone which I am not sure they are going to do under the new rules :)
I think what makes it feel so special is this vibe of a great skater inspired enough to give it to another great skater who in some point in time of their own choice gives it to yet another skater of their own choice and so on, and so forth...
Now there is going to be an awarding committee, and rules, and the 4-year period, and syncing it with the Olympic year with all its noise and politicking ,... and, no, it will not go to anyone's mantle, they just get a 5-minute-photo opportunity with it and give it back to the museum where it resides.
It is a beautiful story and a very special vibe, but I am afraid turning it into a regular and regulated event will scrap it of all its precious uniqueness and it will end up just one more award no one really cares about too much, subject to all the politicking FS is already too full of.
Anyway, congrats to Jason for winning it, the last one to be awarded it in this old beautiful way...:love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Love the concept. But the criteria makes a lot eligible imho. Everyone from Toller Cranston to Igor Bobrin to Parick Chan and some of those amazing Swiss spinners.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would not even be worried about the lack of deserving candidates, especially if you want to make up for all the decades gone which I am not sure they are going to do under the new rules :)
I think what makes it feel so special is this vibe of a great skater inspired enough to give it to another great skater who in some point in time of their own choice gives it to yet another skater of their own choice and so on, and so forth...
Now there is going to be an awarding committee, and rules, and the 4-year period, and syncing it with the Olympic year with all its noise and politicking ,... and, no, it will not go to anyone's mantle, they just get a 5-minute-photo opportunity with it and give it back to the museum where it resides.
It is a beautiful story and a very special vibe, but I am afraid turning it into a regular and regulated event will scrap it of all its precious uniqueness and it will end up just one more award no one really cares about too much, subject to all the politicking FS is already too full of.
Anyway, congrats to Jason for winning it, the last one to be awarded it in this old beautiful way...
Not sure why you are quoting me because we are talking about different things.

There are two kinds of values here : symbolic -which is what it was all about before, and whatever it will be now, I called it visibility.

I was responding to a post mentioning that the value of the trophy would be lessened, to which I proposed an added value which didn't exist before.

Yes. Its symbolic value may be affected.
However, making it a regular award for a special skater will interest media and the recipient, if it's not someone who is all the time on podiums, could get added exposure and recognition from it. It could get them show invitations. It could get them publicity stunts. And in that sense, the general public could be apprised of why such a skater received that special award. This could grow recognition to special styles of skating skills.

I don't see anything negative about this.

The mantle was a figure of speech ;) I guess that was lost in translation.

However, making it a regular award for a special skater will interest media and the recipient, if it's not someone who is all the time on podiums, could get added exposure and recognition from it.
I don't know. This is an obscure trophy that no one ever heard of. In fact, as far as I know the trophy itself was just one of dozens collecting dust in Salchow's closet when he was moved by a generous impulse to gift and encourage a young prodigy.

In fact, that is the charm of the whole story. Ulrich Salchow, a giant and pioneer of the sport having won the world championship 10 times and served as the president of the ISU up to World War II, saw the ingenue Dick Button perform at the 1947 world championship -- the only event in Button's careeer from which he skated away with silver instead of gold -- and told Button, "That was great. You deserve a trophy. I'll give you one of mine."

From there the tradition was established that the holder of the trophy would pass it on to someone who in turn spoke in a special way to that person's figure skating vision. Neither Petkevich, Wylie nor Brown was the most decorated skater of his era, but something about their skating touched the heart of the trophy holder.

Who "deserves" next? Only Jason Brown can say.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't know. This is an obscure trophy that no one ever heard of. In fact, as far as I know the trophy itself was just one of dozens collecting dust in Salchow's closet when he was moved by a generous impulse to gift and encourage a young prodigy.

In fact, that is the charm of the whole story. Ulrich Salchow, a giant and pioneer of the sport having won the world championship 10 times and served as the president of the ISU up to World War II, saw the ingenue Dick Button perform at the 1947 world championship -- the only event in Button's careeer from which he skated away with silver instead of gold -- and told Button, "That was great. You deserve a trophy. I'll give you one of mine."
From there the tradition was established that the holder of the trophy would pass it on to someone who in turn spoke in a special way to that person's figure skating vision. Neither Petkevich, Wylie nor Brown was the most decorated skater of his era, but something about their skating touched the heart of the trophy holder.
I am aware of all of that.. it's clearly stated in this thread.
Who "deserves" next? Only Jason Brown can say.
Nope... if there is a committee, then it's not only JB. Will there be a committee ? This is what @Magill suggested in their post.

Magill

Record Breaker
The mantle was a figure of speech ;) I guess that was lost in translation.

Nope... if there is a committee, then it's not only JB. Will there be a committee ? This is what @Magill suggested in their post.
Oh, no, nothing got lost, just misunderstood. What I meant was that the previous awardees were literally getting the trophy to keep it - as happens often with trophies - while now it is going to stay permanently in the museum and they "get" it only symbolically which is some sort of a novelty, as I understand. So yes, it was a figure of speech on my part, too, just referring to a different aspect of the changes :)

Yes. they say "a committee has been established within the United States Figure Skating Foundation".
In fact, I am not sure if it was not the committee that actually awarded the piece to Jason, as it seems to have been established earlier, this is confusing :scratch2: Might be a committee composed of previous awardees, maybe?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, as a Jason fangirl, I did listen to all of Misha's and Paul's speeches. (not in this clip. There are fancams on Youtube and Rohene Ward posted a fancam on his IG ;) )

I also knew about the Trophy before this, thought it was such a great story even before Jason.

So I will try to summarize:

1. Up until Paul Wylie, the physical trophy was passed from skater to skater by a tap on the back. A secret society. :) Ulrich chose Dick, Dick chose Misha, Misha chose Paul.

2. Paul gave the physical Trophy to the Dick Button trophy room in Boston after some years. Recently, he decided that a Board should be formed on future awards of the Trophy and coordinated with USFS on Board membership. (source: TSL interview with Paul Wylie. Normally do not give Dave Lease clicks, but this interview, all two hours of it, was great).

3. Paul mentioned the Board in his speech. That is where he also mentioned the criteria. I have not been able to find written criteria or the Board members. For some reason I think there are four members, but I have no idea where I got that from.

4. Total and complete guess, are the Board members the people in the photo with Jason? I recognize Misha and Paul, but not the other two.

5. Those who knew about the Trophy (but not the Board) have been rumbling for a few years that Jason should get it. Dave L. even mentioned that in his interview with Paul. Paul was tight lipped. ;)

6. The names are engraved on the Trophy, like the Stanley Cup. Don't ask me where I got that from, right now it's "trust me bro":biggrin:

Setting the Trophy up in this way is, as noted, formalizing a way to reward skaters outside the system: those who are not winning gold, but advancing the sport in their own way. (in fact, according to Paul's speech, preferably not an Olympic gold medalist is one of the criteria. not a prerequisite, just a preference)

Thus ends the history lesson :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, as a Jason fangirl, I did listen to all of Misha's and Paul's speeches. (not in this clip. There are fancams on Youtube and Rohene Ward posted a fancam on his IG ;) )

I also knew about the Trophy before this, thought it was such a great story even before Jason.

So I will try to summarize:

1. Up until Paul Wylie, the physical trophy was passed from skater to skater by a tap on the back. A secret society. :) Ulrich chose Dick, Dick chose Misha, Misha chose Paul.

2. Paul gave the physical Trophy to the Dick Button trophy room in Boston after some years. Recently, he decided that a Board should be formed on future awards of the Trophy and coordinated with USFS on Board membership. (source: TSL interview with Paul Wylie. Normally do not give Dave Lease clicks, but this interview, all two hours of it, was great).

3. Paul mentioned the Board in his speech. That is where he also mentioned the criteria. I have not been able to find written criteria or the Board members. For some reason I think there are four members, but I have no idea where I got that from.

4. Total and complete guess, are the Board members the people in the photo with Jason? I recognize Misha and Paul, but not the other two.

5. Those who knew about the Trophy (but not the Board) have been rumbling for a few years that Jason should get it. Dave L. even mentioned that in his interview with Paul. Paul was tight lipped. ;)

6. The names are engraved on the Trophy, like the Stanley Cup. Don't ask me where I got that from, right now it's "trust me bro":biggrin:

Setting the Trophy up in this way is, as noted, formalizing a way to reward skaters outside the system: those who are not winning gold, but advancing the sport in their own way. (in fact, according to Paul's speech, preferably not an Olympic gold medalist is one of the criteria. not a prerequisite, just a preference)

Thus ends the history lesson :laugh:
So that committee is made of 4 American men potentially ?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So that committee is made of 4 American men potentially ?

Potentially although Paul emphasized skater "anywhere in the world" is eligible.

I don't know if Jason will be invited to the Board and Dick Button's health probably prevents his participation. I would love to know the Board members and the criteria for membership.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Potentially although Paul emphasized skater "anywhere in the world" is eligible.

I don't know if Jason will be invited to the Board and Dick Button's health probably prevents his participation. I would love to know the Board members and the criteria for membership.
I think you should apply as board member, and yes, it would be nice, so that there is a sense of where this all came from, that the current "holder" is on the board too.

Last edited: