Jason Brown awarded Button-Salchow Trophy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown awarded Button-Salchow Trophy

About the whole committee thing, though ... what is this an award for? There are many committees and many awards. Does this one really have a point? Is this trophy now going to be bestowed by a committee contemplating which skater is a hail fellow well met or an all round nice guy? As someone who brings something to the smorgasbord of figure skting, but we don't know exactly what?

Mt favorite trophy is the Michelle Kwan trophy. It used to be the "readers choice" treophy voted on by subscibers to the USFSA's magazine. But Michelle Kwan won every year and no one esle ever had a chance, so they banned Michelle from the competition and renamed the the prize "the Michelle Kwan trophy" so no one could say they were picking on her.

Last edited:

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
How iconic, you even have Tracy Wilson making an appearance as a reporter in the Paul Wylie video.

Jason is the kind of skater who, when lots of elite skaters will be mostly forgotten in history, he will still be remembered, and mentioned, for his impact, star quality, and all that he gave. That's what this trophy will be all about (I hope).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, as a Jason fangirl, I did listen to all of Misha's and Paul's speeches. (not in this clip. There are fancams on Youtube and Rohene Ward posted a fancam on his IG ;) )

I also knew about the Trophy before this, thought it was such a great story even before Jason.

So I will try to summarize:

1. Up until Paul Wylie, the physical trophy was passed from skater to skater by a tap on the back. A secret society. :) Ulrich chose Dick, Dick chose Misha, Misha chose Paul.

2. Paul gave the physical Trophy to the Dick Button trophy room in Boston after some years. Recently, he decided that a Board should be formed on future awards of the Trophy and coordinated with USFS on Board membership. (source: TSL interview with Paul Wylie. Normally do not give Dave Lease clicks, but this interview, all two hours of it, was great).

3. Paul mentioned the Board in his speech. That is where he also mentioned the criteria. I have not been able to find written criteria or the Board members. For some reason I think there are four members, but I have no idea where I got that from.

4. Total and complete guess, are the Board members the people in the photo with Jason? I recognize Misha and Paul, but not the other two.

5. Those who knew about the Trophy (but not the Board) have been rumbling for a few years that Jason should get it. Dave L. even mentioned that in his interview with Paul. Paul was tight lipped. ;)

6. The names are engraved on the Trophy, like the Stanley Cup. Don't ask me where I got that from, right now it's "trust me bro":biggrin:

Setting the Trophy up in this way is, as noted, formalizing a way to reward skaters outside the system: those who are not winning gold, but advancing the sport in their own way. (in fact, according to Paul's speech, preferably not an Olympic gold medalist is one of the criteria. not a prerequisite, just a preference)

Thus ends the history lesson :laugh:
I like history lessons about interesting things. and this certainly is. At least you didn't do it the old fashioned way with all the years mentioned (which we had to learn by heart at school once).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There's a picture of the trophy on the Skating club of Boston website from post 14. If I blow it up, I can see that it was from the Niagara International Skating competition of Feb 1900. (London is also there in smaller letters). At that competition it was first prize won by Salchow. Lower down are the names of the other recipients. It looks like they're going to have to add rings to the base for additional recipients.

There's a picture of the trophy on the Skating club of Boston website from post 14. If I blow it up, I can see that it was from the Niagara International Skating competition of Feb 1900. (London is also there in smaller letters).

Thank you! :clap::clap: :clap: That makes sense. I wouldn't expect 17-year old Button to ask the Great One for one of his world championship trophies, and, "oh, by the way, could you throw in your 1908 Olympic gold medal on the side? -- I hate it that I have to wait a ahole year before I get mine." :laugh:

Here is an article about the BIg Three figure skating clubs of London at the end of the Voctorian / beginning of Edwardian eras. Besides the Niagara there was also the National Skating Palace and the Prince's Skating Club.

“Smart London is mad on skating just now. The real ice rink at Niagara Hall is the afternoon rendezvous of the sweetness and light of society, and there could scarcely be a more agreeable way of spending a couple of hours than it affords.

"The steep admission fees charged at the National Skating Palace... were in place to attract 'only the best sort of people' and keep 'the commoners' out."

That's our Jason: the sweetness and light of society!

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thank you! :clap::clap: :clap: That makes sense. I wouldn't expect 17-year old Button to ask the Great One for one of his world championship trophies, and, "oh, by the way, could you throw in your 1908 Olympic gold medal on the side? -- I hate it that I have to wait a ahole year before I get mine." :laugh:

Here is an article about the BIg Three figure skating clubs of London at the end of the Voctorian / beginning of Edwardian eras. Besides the Niagara there was also the National Skating Palace and the Prince's Skating Club.

“Smart London is mad on skating just now. The real ice rink at Niagara Hall is the afternoon rendezvous of the sweetness and light of society, and there could scarcely be a more agreeable way of spending a couple of hours than it affords.

"The steep admission fees charged at the National Skating Palace... were in place to attract 'only the best sort of people' and keep 'the commoners' out."

That's our Jason: the sweetness and light of society!
An interesting article. I assumed that the Niagara on the trophy referred to Niagara Falls. It does so only indirectly, as the Niagara Ice Hall in London (England) had a huge mural of Niagara Falls.

The article even mentions the competition where "our" (well, actually Jason's for now) trophy was first awarded.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States