I Have Never Missed Michelle More Than I Do Now | Page 5 | Golden Skate

I Have Never Missed Michelle More Than I Do Now

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
When it comes to Michelle, there are lots of "theories," few facts.

No kidding. She's the type of skater to generate such discussion though because hardly anything comes out of her mouth anyway.

Gatzbee

Rinkside
remeber the articles that kwan's success rate on the 3A in the 96 season was 60% and frank didn't want her to risk it in competition?
WOW really?!! if thats true, too bad she couldn't be the 1st lady since tonya to land one if she did ;). but wait r u talking abot 96 season when she won worlds or the 96-97 season where she had started to unravel....

antmanb

Record Breaker
Gatzbee said:
WOW really?!! if thats true, too bad she couldn't be the 1st lady since tonya to land one if she did ;). but wait r u talking abot 96 season when she won worlds or the 96-97 season where she had started to unravel....

No i think it was the 95/96 where she was unstoppable...salome did have two double axels in it (the scond being replaced with 3T if the 3/3 didn't come off).

Ant

attyfan said:
I have, thank you.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :)

Joe said:
Why do the Marshall's phone in when her body wasn't ready for it?
LOL, Joe. The root of all evil!

That's the only one of Michelle's decisions that I wish she could take back. That was awful, LOL.

I suppose she felt contractually obligated to give it a try. The spirit was willing, but...

I wonder what she was thinking when she had to stand up in front of the "judges" (Dick Button, Peggy Fleming and Peter Carruthers) and listen to Dick go on about, "Oh Michelle, I always feel so drawn in to your skating," blah, blah.

I bet Michelle was thinking (behind that smile), "Yeah, right, you old windbag -- you and I both know that performance was crapola!"

But hey, by now everyone has forgotten all about it and the only thing remaining is a line in her bio that says,

2005 Marshall's Figure Skating Challenge, 1st :laugh:

MM :)

PS. Buy Maxxis tires and put your money in the East-West Bank :rock:

Last edited:
Glad your ok Attnyfan.

As to Michelle: AND THE BEAT GOES ON

Aside from the usual hoping, does anyone know for sure that she is going to skate again in international competitions excluding cheesefests?

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
Michelle's agent said she would not be making any decisions until the summer. I suppose she'd wait and see how her body fares doing COI and getting back to a regular training schedule. At this point, I doubt even Michelle has any idea.

I can't wait to see her at COI on April 23rd!!! Kimmie will be there as well. I was so hoping for Shizuka or/and Fumie.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Glad your ok Attnyfan.

As to Michelle: AND THE BEAT GOES ON

Aside from the usual hoping, does anyone know for sure that she is going to skate again in international competitions excluding cheesefests?

Joe

Come on Joe - how long have you been a Michelle fan now???

We won't know squat about her plans for the future until the skaters are on the ice for their warm up for the SP at Skate America, anything up until that point is relegated to the theories and wild speculation box!!! :laugh:

Ant

nymkfan51 said:
Thank you for your posts Rgirl ... you have summed it up rather well, I think.

I know for me, that my hardest problem is letting go. Michelle's skating has been such a bright spot in my life (especially the last 6 years) ... I won't go into detail (thank God! LOL) ... but there have been so many negatives in my life the last several years, and watching Michelle has at times been my haven ... the only place I could go to and feel pure joy. I had so many hopes for this past season ... I kept thinking the joy of it would be enough to last me for a long while. So with each piece of bad news, the frustrations and sorrow just kept growing. Finally realizing she would not skate at all was the last nail in the coffin for me. It has taken me this many weeks since the Olympics to finally be able to deal with it.
What I know in my heart is that I, and other MK fans, have been extremely lucky. We have had so many precious moments that she has given us ... memories that can never be erased. She has cemented her place in figure skating history, is loved by millions, regardless of the medals or placements ... and she is a beautiful, talented, delightful ... and very rich young woman! She has a life ahead of her to do just about whatever she pleases. My wish for her is that she get healthy and enjoy the life she has made for herself. My only other wish is that we get to see her for many years to come. I can't imagine a world where she is not skating.
Aww, Nymkfan! I'm so sorry to hear of your ongoing years of frustrations and sorrow that "just kept growing." Yes, there is nothing like having a "safe haven," whether it be music, a performer, an author, religion, a figure skater, whatever, to curl up with and get away from it all, even if it can only be mentally and temporarily. For what it's worth, although I think Michelle is probably up in the air as to what she wants to do right now, I think she will continue to skate in some capacity. OTOH, let's not forget my abysmal record for accurately predicting what will happen with Michelle...ahem. Well, one of these times I'm bound to get it right. Also, thanks for the nice compliment.:)

Attyfan,
I'm so sorry you too had to go through such health problems and very glad you're now fine. Also, I haven't forgotten about getting back to you. I think I've become allergic to being organized.

Mzheng,
Thanks for your response to that part of my post. For you and anybody, I meant to edit that post just a little when my organization allergy must have kicked in. Still haven't had a good chunk of time to work on it, but just so people know: If anybody quotes from the orginal version of my Post #29, yes indeed I wrote that. If it has changed if you reread it, be assured that posters such as Mzheng didn't mess with my text. Any messing was done or will be done by me.

joesitz said:
If I spilled out my theory of Michelle and the family, I would be banished by the Kwan crowd so I keep my mouth shut while telling the publisher to only publish the theory after my death.
Well, now I'm certainly in a pickle. Do I say, "Hurry up and die so I can read your no doubt juicy speculations?" Or, do as I'd much prefer, publish anonymously. Joe Klein got away with it for years when he wrote Primary Colors. And you can always PM your theory to select people. I have no compunction about bribery, if that helps.;)

Well, at least you didn't specify "No publication until 50 years after my death" like Jackie Kennedy did with certain JFK papers and her memoirs. I'm never going to make that one.:laugh:

kyla2 said:
RGirl and Mathman
Somw wonderful posts and I have really enjoyed them. It's at times like this that I truly appreciate this forum. There are some intelligent and mature people on this sitw who can talk figure skating like few on the planet.
I will say, and I'm sure Mathman will too, a humble thank you for your gracious post--especially after the misunderstandings that threatened to doom this thread early on, some of which were my fault. But not to worry. Here I'll only speak for myself, but I'm sure I'll post something stupid and immature any day now. On the planet I come from, stupidity and immaturity are highly valued character traits.:biggrin:

Seriously, thanks.

Rgirl

kyla2

Final Flight
More Thoughts

First, for those of you who have been ill or suffering personal setbacks, just know you are appreciated here by all of us. I really like and enjoy this board because the people who post here (for the most part) are adults, and behave like adults, who love figure skating. Who could ask for more?

As for Danny Kwan, I understand that he was very involved with Michelle's skating career but I truly believe his number one concern was, and is, her happiness. I know there have been stories that he pushed her when she was younger, but I think he tried to be careful about how hard he pushed her. It's a fine line to walk when you are paying big bucks for what may or may not be a major career path for your child. As for his issues with Frank Carroll, I believe there were some. They related to Michelle from different perspectives and I can well understand how they could come into conflict. It was unfortunate in hindsight that they couldn't be on "the same page", but that is water over the dam, and there is nothing to be done about it now. I don't blame anyone for what happened. As the saying goes, stuff happens. There is no way to know if Michelle would have won the OGM that year if Frank was still her coach at the time or not. It's all speculation. I don't agree that Frank necessarily had to change as she matured. He had a job to do and he always functioned in a certain way. I can well understand his confusion when she came to him and told him their professional relationship was over. But I believe the relationship between Frank and Michelle probably failed on several different levels, and for several different reasons (besides Danny). The truly sad thing is that he didn't see it coming.

As for the cheesefest, Michelle was trying to stay in the public eye and be visible and I am sure Shep encouraged her as well. Plus, it was a paycheck. It was very painful for me to see the incomparable Michelle subjected to negative commentary about her performance and it's a competition I should have skipped. But I think her injuries were so significant that it didn't matter one iota whether she did the cheesefest or not. It just wasn't going to make a difference. I think her injuries could well be career ending ultimately.

As for the Olympics, everyone on the planet wanted to see her skate. She gave it her best shot (hope springs eternal) and then left the scene when she knew it was truly hopeless. Like NyMKF, my Olympics were over at that point. As much as I loved the other skaters, I was extremely disappointed when Michelle had to pull out, and it took the life out of them for me. When Michelle is part of a competition, there is a positive tension that pervades the whole scene. Now, I may have to get used to a new kind of competition in a hurry, if she retires, and I know that. It's kind of like it was before Michelle arrived on the scene. In short, I am going through withdrawal.

Michelle turned skating into an art form for me, and showed me what was possible, not what was probable. I guess that's it in a nutshell.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sorry to the Kwanfans, but really, not to be mean but you guys should have seen it coming. It was a given that Kwan wasn't going to skate forever...

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Sorry to the Kwanfans, but really, not to be mean but you guys should have seen it coming. It was a given that Kwan wasn't going to skate forever...

I don't think anyone said she was ever not going to stop skating - it was the recurring injury that was a surprise - the expectation that she would skate in the Olympics and then having something else take it out of her hands. She went to Torino and the expectation was that she would skate...we've been left unable to see that last attempt, no-one thought 2005 Worlds would be her last skate competitive skate...NO-ONE. (but someone with 20/20 hindsight will chime in now i'm sure!)

Therein lies the surprise. And the upset comes because we haven't been able to watch a her skate a program thinking "and this is likely to be Michelle's last elligible competitive free skate" and say goodbye.

You wouldn't get it - you're not a figure skating fan...its too much of a stretch to ask you to understand unless you really love the sport.

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker
I can see where you're coming from. I may not be a die-hard FS fan like many of you but I can relate to other things.

But Kwan is Kwan...and that is that. ;)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I can see where you're coming from. I may not be a die-hard FS fan like many of you but I can relate to other things.

But Kwan is Kwan...and that is that. ;)

No, again you miss the point completely. It was not about Kwan - you brought her up so i used her as an example. I felt just as pained (actually maybe more so because the withdrawal occurred closer to the competition) about Abitbol& Bernadis having to withdraw from SLC. I loved their skating from when i first saw them - loved their choreography, the beautiful lift (that most pairs this season were doing) where he put sarah between his legs and then lifted her up into a beautiful star lift. Watched them come so close to being the first pair to land a throw triple axel in Nagano. She had an achilles tear like Zhao's and was out for a lot of the previous seasons but they made it back and actually won a medal in euros or worlds the season before SLC - they were ready to make their comeback...and then they were forced to withdraw from the Olympics because of an jnury very close to the SP and i never got to watch a competitive program of theirs again. And its sad to to not be able to get to see that last program thinking - this is it, its their last one and saying goodbye.

Ant