Skates for beginner adult skater? | Golden Skate

Skates for beginner adult skater?

amackillican

Spectator
Hi all,

I'm a 25-year-old very beginning skater (currently working on CanAdult 4, 3-turns, forward and backward edges, 2-foot jumps, etc.) who is 5"7 and ~175lbs/79kg. I've been skating in Jackson SoftSkate/Cameos for the last 4 months as I've worked through the first few LTS levels, but it's become very clear to me that they aren't sufficient anymore, even for LTS.

I have a fitting at Figure Skating Boutique outside Toronto with Jason soon, so I'm sure I'll get lots of good advice there, but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about the range I should be looking at. I do want to continue skating for as long as I can, moving into figure skating levels hopefully at the start of the next calendar year (I'm anticipating finishing CanAdult by December or shortly after), and so I want to make sure I'm getting some skates that will give me some longevity but also are not going to be impeding my progress or causing me any injury.

Anything anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated!! :)

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I am shorter than you but the same weight, and I was advised to get Jackson Debuts, even for beginning skills. I have no idea how you've been making the softskates work.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all,

I'm a 25-year-old very beginning skater (currently working on CanAdult 4, 3-turns, forward and backward edges, 2-foot jumps, etc.) who is 5"7 and ~175lbs/79kg. I've been skating in Jackson SoftSkate/Cameos for the last 4 months as I've worked through the first few LTS levels, but it's become very clear to me that they aren't sufficient anymore, even for LTS.

I have a fitting at Figure Skating Boutique outside Toronto with Jason soon, so I'm sure I'll get lots of good advice there, but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas about the range I should be looking at. I do want to continue skating for as long as I can, moving into figure skating levels hopefully at the start of the next calendar year (I'm anticipating finishing CanAdult by December or shortly after), and so I want to make sure I'm getting some skates that will give me some longevity but also are not going to be impeding my progress or causing me any injury.

Anything anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated!! :)
If Jackson-Debut-Premiere fusion, and I'd go for the latter dependent upon your weight/height. You'll need the stiffer boot.
If you would like suggestions for other boot brands, let me know!

Good luck! :)