If Lambiel won the next Olympics.... | Golden Skate

If Lambiel won the next Olympics....

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
.......and also won atleast 2 of the next 4 Worlds, and medaled at all 4 of them, who would be the most upset of all the people on this forum?

Since I may be the only one who sees Stephane as a the consumate figure skater in competition today, I may be the only one who wil not be upset.

However, win or lose, imo, Stephane fulfills all the conditions required to win the Olys at this point in time. You name it, spins, jumps, footwork, moves in field, flow, flexibility, versatility, what else?

Another However, that is a few years down the road if it actually will happen. As to Worlds, he has an excellent shot at 2007. JMO

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Since I may be the only one who sees Stephane as a the consumate figure skater in competition today, I may be the only one who wil not be upset.

You aren't the only one. He's not my favorite skater, but by far, in my eyes, he's the best around at this point. It would be very nice to see him continue to succeed, and succeed big.

Slutskayafan, can I mention a tip about polls?

Every time someone actually votes in a poll, that thread goes up to the top and pushes all the other threads down.

Since this thread does not have anything actually to vote for, I am afraid that it will disappear to the second page as soon as someone comes along and votes in all the polls.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I actually meant to put a poll, it must not have gone through how I hoped. The possable choices were:

chuckiem
harmonie
hockeyfan228
Vash01
Zuranthium
other

In that case, I'm glad it didn't work out. There is no point in calling out specific GS members by name and trying to start a fight. This is not very interesting to the general membership.

Vash01

Medalist
I am not a Lambiel fan, as don't like some things about his skating. However, I would be upset by his (imagined) Olympic win only if it was an UNFAIR win.

If Plushenko retires, as I expect he will, before the next Olympics, I would love to see Johnny Weir win the next Olympic gold. IMO he is a better skater than Lambiel, but he has not yet figured out how to skate a winning program at the world level when he needs to. Hopefully he will learn it at the next worlds.

Vash

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
If he skates better than everyone else in Vancouver, he should win Olympic gold. What's to get upset about? Besides, he's got a very cute coach next to him in Kiss and Cry :)

Vash01 said:
I am not a Lambiel fan, as don't like some things about his skating. However, I would be upset by his (imagined) Olympic win only if it was an UNFAIR win.

... I would love to see Johnny Weir win the next Olympic gold. IMO he is a better skater than Lambiel, but he has not yet figured out how to skate a winning program at the world level when he needs to. Hopefully he will learn it at the next worlds.

Vash

My sentiments exactly. I don't really "get" Lambiel. I think Oda and Takahashi will be on many podia (?) in the next few years and I would be thrilled to see either of them get the OGM as well. At this point I still pull for Johnny because I find his skating so moving, and hope he will sharpen his competitive edge.

Spun Silver said:
My sentiments exactly. I don't really "get" Lambiel. I think Oda and Takahashi will be on many podia (?) in the next few years and I would be thrilled to see either of them get the OGM as well. At this point I still pull for Johnny because I find his skating so moving, and hope he will sharpen his competitive edge.
What's good about all these comments is that the four mentioned: Lambiel, Weir, Oda and Takahashi are all about the same age and all have the ability to grow into something special in the next 3-1/2 years. And then their are the Canadian guys and Lysacek. It's not difficult to see the Men surpassing the Ladies in interest.

The race for gold in the next few yeas will be difficult and important. Many top male skaters and without Evgeni who took the interest in gold away last year long before the competition, the upcoming seasons will be nailbiting times.

Remember, it's the CoP and one's personal feelings about a skater do not score with the judges unless they have the same personal feelings.

Lambiel is leading the way as of now. However the field in the future is threatening him. That's what Sport is all about.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Vash01 said:

If Plushenko retires, as I expect he will, before the next Olympics, I would love to see Johnny Weir win the next Olympic gold. IMO he is a better skater than Lambiel, but he has not yet figured out how to skate a winning program at the world level when he needs to. Hopefully he will learn it at the next worlds.

Vash

If Plushenko retires a Lambiel win at the next Olympics would only be unfair if he made mistakes and somebody else skated perfectly. A clean Lambiel should never lose to any one of Weir, Lysacek, Joubert, Takahashi, Buttle, etc....anyway. :biggrin:

Weir a better skater than Lambiel? Not until he gets a quad atleast. I dont care what some say he does in practice, do you know many women I could name that reportedly did a triple axel in practice over the last 15 years(probably atleast 40 of them).
Weir without a quad would lose to Lambiel easily even with his best skate unless Lambiel had a very subpar competition(eg-Olympics).

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
hockeyfan228 said:
If he skates better than everyone else in Vancouver, he should win Olympic gold. What's to get upset about? Besides, he's got a very cute coach next to him in Kiss and Cry :)

She looks very young, I doubt she is as young as she looks though. She is cute though. :biggrin:

Niza

Rinkside
I think that Lambiel is overestimated by some fans. HIs spins for example far not so good as 2003-2004 , I d'not understand why he still consider as the best in this area.
If two American boys will get a guad, I think they should win.
I consider his world titles is luck because he did not confirm the status of the champion at other competitions.

Actually I dream that J_W became the Olympic Champion. :clap:

debdelilah

On the Ice
I like Stephane Lambiel, and his skating. I don't think he's overmarked or overrated. I do worry about his knee, but injuries will be a problem for his competitors also.

I'm glad he won the World Championships, because I think he is now what his rivals want to become--a consistantly strong jumper who is also an artist.

debdelilah said:
I'm glad he won the World Championships, because I think he is now what his rivals want to become...
I agree.

What I don't understand is why some folks want to call Stephane the NEXT great thing. As two-time and current World Champion, he is the RIGHT NOW great thing.

So, who will be the NEXT great thing?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I agree.

What I don't understand is why some folks want to call Stephane the NEXT great thing.
Because he's never beaten Plushenko in a full competition. Plushenko, until he announced he would not compete next season, has been the gold standard against whom Lambiel has been compared.

hockeyfan228 said:
Because he's never beaten Plushenko in a full competition. Plushenko, until he announced he would not compete next season, has been the gold standard against whom Lambiel has been compared.
Ah, OK -- so it's a question of whether Lambiel will be the next GREAT thing, as in Plushenko great.

In that case, my prediction would be that there are several others who will give him a run for his money over the next four years. I guess maybe I would be surprised after all if he wins all the world championships from now till Vancouver and then the Olympic gold medal. He's great, but he's not alone, IMHO.

MM :)

That's what competition is all about. Kwan was the next best thing until Tara and then there was Sarah. Not something to worry about.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I personally prefer Stephane to Plushenko's "style" of skating... so I think like MM that Lambiel has already arrived :)