Why I think Cohen deserved silver in Turin. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Why I think Cohen deserved silver in Turin.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Figure skating needs desperately to build an image that's not based on a competition that happens once every four years (and is usually inferior to world championships in terms of quality skating).

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :agree:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Figure skating needs desperately to build an image that's not based on a competition that happens once every four years (and is usually inferior to world championships in terms of quality skating).

And just HOW can that be accomplished? Easier said than done- FS is considered to most people (at least in the US) as an OLYMPIC sport...in other words, something that people pay attention to only during the Olympics.

I can't see any other way than another drama or juicy scandal unfolding. Because no matter what skaters you try to "pitch" (meaning promote) people will only watch what they think is interesting. JMO

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
And just HOW can that be accomplished?

It starts with the fans of the sport "showing" their support. That is not all but a great place to start.

Not an answer to all of it, but where most popularity starts becoming known are the supporters - true of most anything.

"...those Oly competitions were nothing compared to the Worlds or Cup of Russia."

JAT

Mafke

Medalist
And just HOW can that be accomplished? Easier said than done- FS is considered to most people (at least in the US) as an OLYMPIC sport...in other words, something that people pay attention to only during the Olympics.

That's a very good and exhaustive question, some beginning thoughts:

Rule number one: During the olympics the announcers should be constantly hyping following skating on an ongoing basis and speak of the next (and previous) olympics as little as possible. while making as many references to non-olympic competitions as possible.
"The olympics are a special event, but the real enjoyment of skating comes from following the yearly competitions."
"To really appreciate fully what's going on now it helps to follow skating and understand the rules..."
"A very good performance, not as good as his performance at worlds last year, but ..."

Rule number two: During non-olympic competitions announcers should refrain from hyping the olympics. Skate America 2006 is _NOT_ the first step on the road to 2010 (I hope no one said anything so foolish during coverage but I'm not optimistic). Skate America is interesting in and of itself.

Rule number three: Show some crappy skaters and critique them. I learned more from watching first group skaters one Eurosport broadcast than from 10 years of watching medal contenders on the American networks.
The lowest ranked skaters in competitions almost shine spotlights on their mistakes and make you appreciate those medal contenders more.
There should be no skating broadcast without serious technical information and guidelines for how to spot flaws in technique.

Further suggestions...?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Rule number one: During the olympics the announcers should be constantly hyping following skating on an ongoing basis and speak of the next (and previous) olympics as little as possible. while making as many references to non-olympic competitions as possible.
"The olympics are a special event, but the real enjoyment of skating comes from following the yearly competitions."
"To really appreciate fully what's going on now it helps to follow skating and understand the rules..."
"A very good performance, not as good as his performance at worlds last year, but ..."
Currently a majority of this is illegal according to the ISU. So changing that rule might be a start.
Further suggestions...?

Fans start doing that exact same thing on an every day basis. An not browbeating, just comments here and there. Never over look the true power of "word of mouth."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That's a very good and exhaustive question, some beginning thoughts:

in US television that might not be possible due to the fact that NBC runs the olys media coverage, but ESPN/ABC owns the rest of the ISU sanctioned events. So in order for Scott Hamilton or whomever is the commentator to say something like that I wonder if they'd run into the problem of promoting another 'show' on another network?

Fans start doing that exact same thing on an every day basis. An not browbeating, just comments here and there. Never over look the true power of "word of mouth."

I dunno... if people aren't going to appreciate hearing a relious comment 'here and there' chances are they don't want me to tell them which sport to watch either lol

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
in US television that might not be possible due to the fact that NBC runs the olys media coverage, but ESPN/ABC owns the rest of the ISU sanctioned events. So in order for Scott Hamilton or whomever is the commentator to say something like that I wonder if they'd run into the problem of promoting another 'show' on another network?

IIRC, at Torino, NBC used plenty of the ABC/ESPN footage of TT's fall at SA, so I assume they could mention it.

I wonder if it would be possible to highlight skaters at Olys who aren't competing there, but will be at Worlds -- I heard they did it with MK in '94, and if MK had not withdrawn, Emily would probably have gotten a fluff, noting her upcoming appearance at Worlds.

In terms of SPORT, one has to go by the results. Many skiers I've known over the years, talk about the great technique of a skier who never won a Gold but plenty of bronzes and silvers. Serious fans of skiing know more than the results of one afternoon of competition. That goes for all sports. It's the 'body-of-work' which are important to the die-hard fans.

In Figure Skating, there are fans who are not really knowledgable about the sport's intracasies and can only use the olympic gold as the sole answer to the success of a skater. That's too bad that they are not able to see the talent of other skaters. There is Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. Who is the 'best' and moreso, 'who cares?'

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I dunno... if people aren't going to appreciate hearing a relious comment 'here and there' chances are they don't want me to tell them which sport to watch either lol
:eek: :unsure:
Sorry to react bluntly, but
:cool:
"Chances are" is "iffy" excuses. This approach has been taken that way for a while now, there is substantial proof that some attention is better then no attention A MAJORITY of the time. And if you are trying to tell people what they "Should" watch, this agreed is not advisable.
:agree:
If you don't want to or don't show your support because you feel it is pointless, that is fine - there might even be other reasons. But if others want to and might if they felt others were behind them - I don't see how your commenting each time it is suggested (by me in particular) that "it is pointless," is ever going to be beneficial to anyone.
:scratch:

Last edited:
I think Mafke's suggestions are right on the money. As interest in the Olympics fades, especially in the Winter Games, especially in the U.S., the question becomes, "What can we do to make sure that it doesn't take figure skating down with it?" It has, after all, been a long time since the U.S. and the Soviet Union felt the need to carry on the debate about whether capitalism or communism can produce the best athletes.

But it's still a Catch 22. The Olympic announcers are going to want to hype the Olympics. They are not going to say, hey, if you want to see some good stuff, turn off the TV now and come back next fall for the Grand Prix instead.

Ballroom Dancing is becoming quite sellable on TV. It's not the man-in-the-street ballroom dancing but the new glitz of what it is, has people watching.

Maybe figure skating needs some glitz. What would it be? Is it practical?
Ballroom Dancers can perform quite often but skaters can not do more than 2 routines in a week., and then not again for several weeks. Skaters of yore could do routines 6 nights a week and sometimes two on Saturdays.

Why not have at least a competition (without gimmics) on a Sunday afternoon with all skaters interested and forget about pro or eligible. there's really no difference any more. elminate skaters on a weekly basis with or without tears until there is a final 3. This just might get some viewers interested. No public voting!!!!

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Rule number three: Show some crappy skaters and critique them. I learned more from watching first group skaters one Eurosport broadcast than from 10 years of watching medal contenders on the American networks.
The lowest ranked skaters in competitions almost shine spotlights on their mistakes and make you appreciate those medal contenders more.
There should be no skating broadcast without serious technical information and guidelines for how to spot flaws in technique.

Further suggestions...?

Isn't that the truth - until i first started getting Eurosport i thought that everyone who skated apris skated like the podium pairs (since on UK broadcast we were lucky to get SPs at worlds and usually only get 3 or 4 of the pairs). It wasn't until i watched a European Championship all the way through on Eurosport that i realised that many of the paris out there look down right scary going into lifts and throws and that the final group (and if you're lucky some fo the penultimate group) are light years ahead of the rest.

But like you say you learn more from watching the lower ranked skaters and comparing them to the best than just watching the best.

Ant

R.D.

Record Breaker
But the big question remains: Is the AVERAGE viewer interested in seeing everybody?

antmanb

Record Breaker
But the big question remains: Is the AVERAGE viewer interested in seeing everybody?

The big question for who? For me, an avid fan, yes i am interested!

For the average viewer...i'm not sure it really matters does it? Does the "average" viewer watch anything more than the Olympic and worlds?

I equate it to someone who watches football or basketball watching highlights of a match being the showing of the top 4 or 5. Watching the whole match would be like watching an entire skating event.

Ant

With Celebrity Dancing, did the average viewer want to see a football player that no one knew? a country singer no one new? etc., etc. It's not like you're getting Chad Pennington or Tom Cruise. Is it?