Why I think Cohen deserved silver in Turin. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Why I think Cohen deserved silver in Turin.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Well I am in agreeance with the last two posts here, Peggy is over 55 (think 58) and she IMO is still quite lovely:love:

Plastic. Surgery.

I actually think it's very distracting. She probably would have looked fine without it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Plastic. Surgery.

I actually think it's very distracting. She probably would have looked fine without it.
I agree, she would looked fine.

I did not know that but kinda guessed by her eyes and smooth cheeks. I 'spose now I am going to find out Katie Couric did too, say it ain't so!

Well I hope Sasha doesn't go that rout. I think she still could pass for 18. But in reality I think it is more for the persons own feeling about the way they look than anything. Sasha seems pretty tough on herself, show she just might get it done. when she's 80:laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I always wonder how she will view her skating career... will she be proud of all she accomplished or will she be bitter & disappointed that she never won the "Big One." I also wonder that about Michelle & Irina - granted, they've won more titles, but the Big One also eluded both...

Depends upon what happens to Sasha in the future. Irina came close to losing her mom -- and possibly her own life -- compared to that, losing the OGM is not losing "the Big One" anymore. MK's injury, withdrawal from Torino, and surgery, would also, I think, result in a change of priorities similar to Irina's.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I always wonder how she will view her skating career... will she be proud of all she accomplished or will she be bitter & disappointed that she never won the "Big One." I also wonder that about Michelle & Irina - granted, they've won more titles, but the Big One also eluded both...

I think, even if it still stings for a little while not getting the Oly Gold, both Irina and Michelle (especially michelle) have won enough world titles over many years, enough to say that they were the best in the world for long periods of time, losing form, and regaining it. Both will go down in the history books for what they achieved (and what they didn't).

Ant

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Michelle has her two Olympic medals to console her. The silver medal was won with a brilliant performance she can long remember and be proud of.

Sasha's silver medal, OTOH, was won because it was the 'best of the rest' and Sasha seems uncomfortable with the memory of it.

I agree and sadly Irina will probably remember her 2 Olympic medals that way as well, "the best of the rest" sort of. Both her 2002 and 2006 medal winning free skates were inferior performances IMO to the performances she gave in the free skates of the 97 Worlds(where she did not medal due to fall in short), 98 Worlds, 2000 Worlds, 2001 Worlds, 2002 Worlds, 2005 Worlds, and maybe even the 96 Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Both MK and IS have won multiple world championships as well as Olympic medals. I think they'll be proud of what they were able to accomplish in skating, but of course there will always be that empty spot of no OGM.

Suppose you could always try to find one on ebay :rofl:

As for Cohen- she does have a US championship to "console" her, and Olympic and world medals. Maybe not what she wanted, but no small feat either.

Fossi

Final Flight
I think all the girls have different things to be proud of.
Michelle: some say she defined grace and beauty of figure skating. Not to mention being a great role model for kids and adults. Unfortunately, she wanted Olympic gold that it affected her nerves.
Irina: class of the field with her technical abilities and an amazing comeback. She seemed unstoppable. Unfortunately, she also wanted that gold so badly that she also faultered when it counted most.
Cohen: amazing flexibility and determination. Unfortunately, couldn't skate 2 clean programs in a competition during her senior career (and junior?) and couldn't live up to the hype her "team" created.

I think there are several other skaters that would love to have the careers of these 3 ladies.

Actually, she had that one GP season where she won just about everything. I don't remember whether she won the Final.

Joe

Lanie

On the Ice
Actually, she had that one GP season where she won just about everything. I don't remember whether she won the Final.

Joe

Sasha won the GPF in the 2002-03 season.

During the 2003-04 season, in the beginning with Swan Lake and Malaguena, she didn't seem to have the falling problem nearly so much. (Train, Sasha, train. Cross-train. Work harder. Don't leave coaches who make you be not-lazy since your 'I worked so hard' is probably more like another skater's 'minimum effort'!)

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha won the GPF in the 2002-03 season.

QUOTE]

Was this the year that Irina competed against Sasha at GPF, but Irina's mother was deathly ill and Irina wasn't completely focused on the GPF and skating?

I do agree that Sasha needs to work and train harder. I think even TT and Robin hinted to that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think that was the year because Irina pulled out of Worlds that year, allowing MK to cruise to the easy victory.

Mafke

Medalist
I also wonder that about Michelle & Irina - granted, they've won more titles, but the Big One also eluded both...

I think a Big Career (which both Slutskaya and Kwan had in spades) is more important than the Big One, especially since the olympics aren't nearly as big as they used to be, anymore the olympics are just hype and mirrors and the occasional drug and bribery scandal. Feh.

Either Kwan or Slutskaya had better careers than any of the last four ladies olympic champions, three out of four of which did not have impressive post olympic careers (and winning young meant their eligible careers were very short too). It's a little early to say with Arakawa but she seems committed to skating in some form for the time being so that's great.

Figure skating needs desperately to build an image that's not based on a competition that happens once every four years (and is usually inferior to world championships in terms of quality skating).