Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season

Vash01

Medalist
Just when I thought I could watch the Men's Event to see who'd win instead of who'd get second and third after Plushenko was given outrageously inflated scores for a mediocre program with great jumps and not much else. What are the judges looking at, anyway? There are a number of other skaters out there with great jumps who also have better spins, spirals, etc.

Plushenko was rewarded for what he did well. Others lost points by not doing well in areas that get high points (jumps).

rain

Record Breaker
I have no problems with Plushenko's win in Turin (or any other of his wins). The problem was the margin and ridiculously high scores for things he can't do (like a proper sitspin) or can but often doesn't do (if he used any choreography in Turin I must have blinked and missed it).

His SP and LP in turin were phoned in and only diehard fans could find anything to be excited about. If he's going to go out there and do all his jumping passes first in the SP and do 6 straight jumping passes with _nothing_ else going on in the LP then I'd just assume he did something else.
If he'd work with a real choreographer who'd push him a little, then that would be interesting and exciting.

This is exactly how I felt about it. And this was not the only competition at which he was given ridiculously high scores in categories in which he does not excel.

I've never been a Plushenko fan and so am not thrilled with the idea of him coming back, as he would dominate the field as it now stands. Will be interesting to see what happens, as right now nobody is challenging jump-wise, but Plushenko's at a point in his career where he could start to experience some serious injuries, particularly given all of the jump skills he regularly performs. 2010 is still a long way away.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
It's sort of disappointing to me to see so many fans either not happy, or downright outraged, that Plush might compete again. He is the reigning Olympic champion, only six months into his reign, so he certainly deserves to keep competing - it isn't like he's trying to make an unlikely comeback as a too-injured or too-old competitor. On a personal level, I just have so much respect for what he went through in Russia to get to where he is.

On a professional level, I absolutely respect his consistency. An example would be at Champions On Ice this past summer. One of the nights I brought my former total jock and unlikely past figure skater brother to the show. Some skaters disappointed with problems ranging from multiple falls, popped jumps, no audience connection, or just a blah performance. All night I 'hyped' Plushenko, assuring my bro to "Not worry - they are saving the best for last - and you will NOT be disappointed." He wasn't. I later heard from other family members that even out on a fishing trip on Lake Michigan, my macho brother was telling the guys, "Wow - you should see this guy Plushenko skate live. He is a man among boys - he's amazing."

And that's one of the things that is special about Plushenko. You can sit back, relax, and know that you are in competent hands - he is going to give 110% and provide an excellent performance. Not just technically, but he can command an arena to its feet.

There are many good skaters out there. But few that we can rely on year in, year out, to consistently give the performances Plushenko has provided us. Only Yagudin in recent years comes to mind as his equal. I mean, I adore a few other skaters -but can they really be counted on to get on the podium? Can they come back from disaster and focus? Can they excel as show skaters? Can they really 'walk the walk'? C'mon - Plushenko has been doing all of this for years. He's an icon.

Last edited:
crazy

Plushy is NOT that great...Yags spoke volume as a skater. You could actually FEEL his emotions when watching him skate. I think why he's soo inflated is because he was/is the heir apparent to Yags, and the judges are "honoring" that "title". Well, Iactually wanted him to stay away, but, I guess it's back to BORING A** competitions.:scowl:

Mafke

Medalist
Plushy is NOT that great...Yags spoke volume as a skater. You could actually FEEL his emotions when watching him skate. I think why he's soo inflated is because he was/is the heir apparent to Yags, and the judges are "honoring" that "title".

Well there are two things that Plushenko does better than anyone

1) quads
2) skating as if he owned the rink

His spins are slow and cumbersome and his footwork reminds me of Wanda Beazle's entry onto the ice (turning balance checks into an integrated fully-formed style). His reliance in the Mishin school of non-choreography means that almost everything he does looks the same. Besides starting after it started and ending at more or less the same time can anyone point out any relationship to the music in his Turin programs? He could have been wonderful if he'd ever stretched himself artistically (as Yagudin did) but he's played it safe and conventional.

WARNING: sidewalk psychoanalysis ahead:

And actually IIRC the history of Yags and Plushenko was more the classic sibling rivalry with Mishin as the dysfunctional pseudo father. Yags was number one son until Plushenko showed up and Yags resented the attention the newcomer was getting and ended up leaving home (thank goodness, Mishin was doing nothing for Yags style or personal issues which he was only able to get under control after leaving him). Plushenko as the younger sibling has been overly loyal viewing the idea of outside help as a kind of betrayal. Too bad, outside choreography could have made him the most exciting skater ever, but it's probably too late now.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Too bad, outside choreography could have made him the most exciting skater ever, but it's probably too late now.
Mishin does not do Plushenko's choreography. Plushenko has had a handful of different choreographers over the last few years.

I think his approach to the choreography makes many of his competitive programs look the same, but in exhibition, he shows a wide range.

Mafke

Medalist
Mishin does not do Plushenko's choreography. Plushenko has had a handful of different choreographers over the last few years.

I think his approach to the choreography makes many of his competitive programs look the same, but in exhibition, he shows a wide range.

(Ed McMahon voice) I did not know that. I'm more into competitive stuff and hardly watch exhibitions and his competitive choreography (or his interpretation of same) bits big wind.

ITA. I get very little out of exhibitions and Skate America had to be the most boring. Almost everyone did their cute little jazzy number.

Back to Plush. Has there been anyone who left competition over a period of time, and got back to it without any loss? I'm thinking about that Olys Gala which so many returned and no one skated well, and Urmanov caught the gold ring.

Joe

tinaG

Spectator
It's sort of disappointing to me to see so many fans either not happy, or downright outraged, that Plush might compete again.

It's not surprising taking into account yagfans psychological features. I don't think the wishes to breake the leg are caused by the displeasure by plush's choreography, it looks like pathological hatred. So, the reason for this hatred is incomprehensible for me. Maybe it's envy? Or jealousy? I'm not sure.

Welcom back, Plush!!!!:rock:

tinaG

Spectator
Well there are two things that Plushenko does better than anyone

1) quads
2) skating as if he owned the rink

I love his footwork - very difficult and exciting.
So
3) footwork
And
4) skating skills

antmanb

Record Breaker
ITA. I get very little out of exhibitions and Skate America had to be the most boring. Almost everyone did their cute little jazzy number.

Back to Plush. Has there been anyone who left competition over a period of time, and got back to it without any loss? I'm thinking about that Olys Gala which so many returned and no one skated well, and Urmanov caught the gold ring.

Joe

Torvill and Dean should have!!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
I love his footwork - very difficult and exciting.
So
3) footwork
And
4) skating skills

Sorry but i have to agree with Mafke - there is nothing in his footwork except balance checks. There was no reason whatsoever for having that ridiculous frenetic circular step sequence in his SP last season to the quietest section of the music, except for the fact that he can't actually complete clean edgey footwork, it has to be fast and frenetic so that all the balance checks and falls-out of the turns look intended.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I just keep thinking, he is winning, doing, achieving praise, etc... from a majority - particularly the ones that it really "counts" with, i.e. Judges / committee. So he must be doing something right. To each their own, yet if you want to win or be considered the best you go with the majority. Not that the "majority" is right or wrong, but they "hold the cards." So what the sys requires to win, Plushi delivers, makes sense to me.

There's a difference between predicting Event Winners and Legends.

The latter is based on body of work. The former is based on That Night only.

Torvahl and Dean are definitely legends.

Joe

Zazanuka

Rinkside
Plush did so much for sport, he raised the technics on a new level. You can convince yourselves of anything, but he is a legend and the most favourite skater for millions.

I feel Plush did well with his CoP programs. His spins outscored Lambiel according to the judges, He never got down all the way in a sitspin. He has no camel spin, his footwork is not all that exciting but it does get CoP points, He does his share of posing. Plush is an OUTSTANDING JUMPER, but he did NOT raise any bar higher. That Canadian fellow (forget name) did the first triple lutz. Curry showed there was more to Men's skating than jumps. Lambiel introduce unusual combo spin positions. I believe Stoyko did the first quad. If not, it wasn't Plush. Goebel did the first 4sal. and Dickie boy did the first triples in Men's competition.

Let's not re-write history. Two things may raise the bar in Men's figure skating: the quad lutz in competition, the quad loop in competition. The quad/quad combos and the big one: THE QUINT

If raising the bar is important to you, then the previous paragraph will get you a new milestone. Nothing short of that.

Joe

Mafke

Medalist
I believe Stoyko did the first quad. If not, it wasn't Plush.

The first ratified quad was done by an obscure Canadian skater by the name of ... hmmmm Curd Bowning? Curry Brownie? Cute Brownguy? I forget the name (he was so easy to forget). IIRC at 88 worlds in Budapest.

An obscure American skater (Boy Danno or something like that) tried one at the same competition but IIRC it wasn't ratified.

Stojko was the first long time consistent quadster and helped make the move more or less required for top ranked men (damn him to hell ... just kidding ... I think)

amber68

On the Ice
I feel Plush did well with his CoP programs. His spins outscored Lambiel according to the judges, He never got down all the way in a sitspin. He has no camel spin, his footwork is not all that exciting but it does get CoP points, He does his share of posing. Plush is an OUTSTANDING JUMPER, but he did NOT raise any bar higher. That Canadian fellow (forget name) did the first triple lutz. Curry showed there was more to Men's skating than jumps. Lambiel introduce unusual combo spin positions. I believe Stoyko did the first quad. If not, it wasn't Plush. Goebel did the first 4sal. and Dickie boy did the first triples in Men's competition.

Joe

1 Plushenko very rarely outscores Lambiel on spins and yes he should sit more in his sit spin. But he DOES have a lovely camel spin! You probably confused him with Lambiel who does not have a proper camel (Is Lambiel able to execute a combo spin consisting only of camels??)!
2. Yes Plushenko raised the jumping bar by being the first skater that landed a 4--3-3(2) and also by doing much more difficult programs from jumping point of view (look how hard times have the current eligible skaters in executing a standard, non-quad but 2x3A program!)
3. Indeed Curry developed the artistic side of figure skating because this was his talent while Plushenko's talent is jumping!
4. Yes, Lambiel has introduced unusual spin positions but I'd be happier if he spent more time on the basic skills.His crossovers are embarassing for a World champion.
5. The first ratified quad was done by Kurt Browning.

Last edited: