Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko Announces Return to Competition Next Season

amber68

On the Ice
I never felt the judges were purposely giving Kwan an extra cushion that she did not deserve though. Even at the 98 Olympics when she was regarded a heavy favorite, she stll narrowly lost the gold with a great if slightly cautious performance when the 2nd best skater at the time-Tara Lipinski, arguably slightly outskated her with the performance of her life and an extremely triple-triple combo and another hard triple-triple sequence at the end. .

But this is the problem. Kwan had competition and the judges did not hesitate to judge what they saw that night because they had alternatives to choose from.
While with Plushenko it was a totally different story. There was no competition at the Olympics, not even for silver and bronze because, excepting Plushenko,all the other skaters did loads of mistakes. So the problem was not with the judges or with Plushenko but with the other skaters who were not able to deliver decent programs! We do not know what would have happened if Lambiel, Joubert or Sandhu had skated clean-ish SP+LP.
There is no Plushenko at least for this season. Were SA and SC any better?
Don't you feel disappointed?

I am sure that Plushenko would have been a diffrent skater if he had been challenged in the past four years (and it is not the judges fault; this is a lame excuse)
I hope he comes back but I also hope that the others will give him a run for his money.

Last edited:

amber68

On the Ice
I

Yet he wins, but I don't think his Oly performance will ever be remembered.

Joe

You are probably right about the Olympics but his other brilliant performances will be remembered: Euros 2000, Euro&WorldsGPF2001, Olympics 2002, GPF 2003, GPF2004, Worlds 2004 and s.o.
I don't see why Plushenko's career is to be judged and defined by one single performance.

Niza

Rinkside
You are probably right about the Olympics but his other brilliant performances will be remembered: Euros 2000, Euro&WorldsGPF2001, Olympics 2002, GPF 2003, GPF2004, Worlds 2004 and s.o.

Russian Nats 2004 and Euro 2006 were fantastic.

Oscilla

On the Ice

After SC - yes, I do. After SA - no, I don't. Oda was fabulous. He ran out of steam (and had boot problems) in his LP, but his SP was fantastic. Once he improves his stamina he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

I'm quite happy Plushenko is returning, actually. It will be interesting to see whether Oda will be able to fulfill his goal and challenge him for the title - and the domination over the rest of the field. :laugh:

His scores for jumps which are excellent carry over into his attempts at other elements. His PCS scores also reflect the excellent technique of his jumps - not of the whole package. It's not just the Olys. It's what he can do and it comes down to superb jumping technique. Not much else, imo.

Much prefer Yags and the best is Sasha Abt. JMO. I do hope he continues. He does bring an aura of tenseness to skating which I like.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
But this is the problem. Kwan had competition and the judges did not hesitate to judge what they saw that night because they had alternatives to choose from. While with Plushenko it was a totally different story. There was no competition at the Olympics, not even for silver and bronze because, excepting Plushenko,all the other skaters did loads of mistakes. So the problem was not with the judges or with Plushenko but with the other skaters who were not able to deliver decent programs! We do not know what would have happened if Lambiel, Joubert or Sandhu had skated clean-ish SP+LP.

I am sure that Plushenko would have been a diffrent skater if he had been challenged in the past four years (and it is not the judges fault; this is a lame excuse). I hope he comes back but I also hope that the others will give him a run for his money.

The judges gave him a ridiculous 90 to start the mens short program in Turin, skating before any of the other contenders. Event over already. Nuff said.

Mafke

Medalist
I have no problems with Plushenko's win in Turin (or any other of his wins). The problem was the margin and ridiculously high scores for things he can't do (like a proper sitspin) or can but often doesn't do (if he used any choreography in Turin I must have blinked and missed it).

His SP and LP in turin were phoned in and only diehard fans could find anything to be excited about. If he's going to go out there and do all his jumping passes first in the SP and do 6 straight jumping passes with _nothing_ else going on in the LP then I'd just assume he did something else.
If he'd work with a real choreographer who'd push him a little, then that would be interesting and exciting.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I feel like this is fine, maybe it could make the others work a little harder. Of course it could also be discouraging to them as well - well if competing well and doing your best isn't as important to them. I hope that people really don't go so far into the #1 spot is the only real interest, skaters and fans. I also see the connection between him and MK in the dominating factor. And like MM said, don't like it beat him. Fans could focus more on second and third - might do the sport some justice too.

Really the one thing I don't like watching him do is the "windmill thing." I didn't see it a COI so maybe that will go. But to see those blades work the ice, I won't mind seeing that more. IMO he is pretty cool seeming guy and Russia is a big supporter of FS, so keeping him in there should be more beneficial to FS. Of course if people didn't put so much emphasis on #1 only it might not matter as much either way, just a great skater who is still in the mix.

BTW, never heard more on the rumor of the "left his wife and is carrying on with Tat" ???? I can hardly believe that. Nothing against the way he looks but Tatiania is very good looking IMO where as Plushi kinda, but what do I know. And looks don't always matter true - seems like they matter less to girls than they do to guys anyway IMO. And he seems pretty family man to me, I could hardly believe that if he was to split his marriage he would do it for another woman. Maybe for differences, but I can't imagine jumping someone else's train. I think a split might bother him and he would go single (unattatched) for a while. There again, what do I know?
Just never heard that one get the definitive answer either way.

Eeyora

Final Flight
While I think Plushy deserved the gold. He was overscored in the component marks.

He is capable of winning a second Olympic Gold at 24 but will he at 27 or 28? People dubbed Kwan too old at 25. I think at this point his biggest competition comes from Oda and Stephane. I have a feeling Oda will only get better but a lot can happen in 3 1/2 years.

amber68

On the Ice
The judges gave him a ridiculous 90 to start the mens short program in Turin, skating before any of the other contenders. Event over already. Nuff said.

Really??? So how come the same logic didn't apply to Skate Canada where Takahashi had about 14 points ahead of Lambiel after SP??

psycho

On the Ice
Really??? So how come the same logic didn't apply to Skate Canada where Takahashi had about 14 points ahead of Lambiel after SP??

Errm... Takaheshi was only 2 points above the second place. Lambiel was in seventh place. Not the same situation.

amber68

On the Ice
Errm... Takaheshi was only 2 points above the second place. Lambiel was in seventh place. Not the same situation.

Yes, I know, but, under COP , the placement after SP is not that important but the difference scorewise. And a 10 point lead, as Plushenko had after SP at Oly, does not guarantee any gold medal (as some people imply).
Takahashi knows better.

Jhar55

Medalist
I know this has nothing to due with him comming back. I am guess his wife had their baby was it a boy or girl? Can't remember hearing.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Yes, I know, but, under COP , the placement after SP is not that important but the difference scorewise. And a 10 point lead, as Plushenko had after SP at Oly, does not guarantee any gold medal (as some people imply).
Takahashi knows better.

If Plushenko did not sit on his *** for half the short and long program he was going to win no matter what anybody else did. The over the top 90 so early in the short program, before any other contenders, for a great performance but one that did not deserve a 90 for sure, is proof of this.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Plushy.....

It doesn't make me happy to hear that Plushy will be back. I do not appreciate his skating. In my opinion, he belongs in a jumping contest not figureskating. I guess that ego of his just can't pass up another opportunity to be "king".

Dizzy

tae04

On the Ice
Should be a snooze watching him breeze thru every event. His components should be low-mid 7.0s and spins at base or +1 at most. Only elements he really deserves GOE is the jumps and footwork.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Say it isn't so

Just when I thought I could watch the Men's Event to see who'd win instead of who'd get second and third after Plushenko was given outrageously inflated scores for a mediocre program with great jumps and not much else. What are the judges looking at, anyway? There are a number of other skaters out there with great jumps who also have better spins, spirals, etc.