Dangerous or not? | Golden Skate

Dangerous or not?

S

SkatingFantasy

Dangerous or not?

What are everyone's thoughts and opinions on carrying an extra gallon of gas in the car with you? I've heard that it can be dangerous especially on hot days and that it could actually explode. I think that if you are a smoker , that might be a bad thing or if you have young kids in the car with you who like to fool around with things. Do you prefer to do this or to carry the extra can with no gas in it, so you'll have something to fill up with if you run out of gas and have to walk to a gas station?

S

SammieJ

Re: Dangerous or not?

Rather than remembering to carry an extra tank of gas, why not just remember to go to the gas station when needed.

I think it is dangerous, but my husband says I'm scared of everything, so what do I know :lol:

S

Show 42

Good topic........Hi Sammie, welcome to GS.....I vote for an empty gas can, if you have the room in your trunk. We were at the gas station yesterday, and a woman was asking customers if they had an empty gas can handy (she said she had run out of gas down the road).......I think extra gas would be handy, if you're going camping, but as a rule, I would say no. I do know my hubby carries extra gas for his boat when he and his buddies go fishing, so there are exceptions I guess.....42

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I wouldn't DREAM of carrying exposed fuel in my car! (Yes, even in a container I would consider that "exposed".) Just don't let your gas tank get below 1/8 tank--that's your safest bet.</span> :eek:

D

DORISPULASKI

Yes, it's dangerous.

The empty can is a good idea.

Just remember that the E on the gas gauge does not stand for "Enough".

B

Blue Bead

Dont do it!!!Please!!! Don't carry an extra gas can in your vehicle.

An empty can of gas is FULL of fumes which are many more times as dangerous as a full or partially filled can gas. Commercial gas cans, the kind you buy at auto parts stores, department stores, discount marts, etc can leak fumes, and in certain cases the gas as well. There is no good way to tighten the cap to prevent leakage of gas and fumes, and still get the cap off later. All it takes is one stray spark from any source to set off those fumes. Then you have a bomb on wheels.

Full or partially filled cans are no better. In the event of an accident the impact from whatever you hit or whatever hits you will either knock over or rupture that can spraying fuel all over the interior of your vehicle. One spark, contact of the gas with the hot engine or electrical current will set off the fumes from the spilled or sprayed gas. Instant inferno! What would you do if you or a member of your family were trapped unable to get out. That wouldn't be a pleasant way to die.

Even toting a filled gas can home from the gas station carries a certain risk. Preferably stow it in the trunk and secure it so it cannot tip or roll. If you can't put it in the trunk, put it in the back seat preventing it from tipping or rolling and open the windows about 1 to 2 inches to help dispell any fumes and reduce the risk of explosion. Take your filled gas can home immediately. Don't run your extra errands. Store it in a protected area out of direct sunlight, and not exposed to any source of heat or sparks, preferably in an outbuilding not attached to your house.

As for carrying gas cans on boats, it should be transported in a specially designed marine gas can which prevents spillage. It can then be stored securely strapped down in a closed compartment which, if it is vented to the outside of the boat, so much the better. If it is stored topsides it must be securely strapped down.

N

nthuz

Did anone here see the magazine news show...(can't remember which one) in which they warned about fires starting at the pump from static electricity?

When you put the nozzle in the tank and re-enter your car, you 'charge ' your body with static electricity. If you don't touch something metal to get rid of that static elec. and you grab the nozzle, the built up fumes that collect in the nozzle opening area can ignite from the shock when you touch the nozzle. What is especially bad is when the shock (no pun intended) of the flame causes the person to draw the nozzle out quickly---igniting the whole flow of gas.

The message was...don't re-enter your car while fueling, if you absolutely must, make sure you discharge any electricity by touching something metal like your car door. If it should happen that a spark ignites the fumes when you grab the nozzle, DON'T PULL IT OUT! Get anyone out of the car and get to the attendant so he can turn off the pump.

H

heyang

nthuz,

The magazine show apparently didn't do in depth research. While there is a risk, statistics were overstated considering the narrow sampling. Here's a linke to snopes.com that contains more detail.

<a href="http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp" target="top">Snopes.com Gas Pump static</a>

G

Grgranny

I've heard not to have a cell phone on at a gas station too.

H

heyang

The link I posted before mentions the cell phone issue too. Please read.

N

nthuz

Ok...I went to the site and read the whole thing...it backs up everthing I heard on the show. It says that in an e-mail that was circulated, some stats were overstated but goes on to confirm the danger.

D

DORISPULASKI

I would still carry an empty can. Just make sure that it is one you have never had gas in before. If you have to use it as a gas-carrying can, retire it from being used in your trunk, as it would no longer be safe.

L

Ladskater

SkatingFantasy:

Would it not be better to carry a cell phone or belong to an automobile association who you can call for road side assistance? I think that would be a safer bet!

Ladskater