Riedell or Risport for adult doing basic jumps? | Golden Skate

Riedell or Risport for adult doing basic jumps?

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
I've been reading more, and learning that the "skill level" described for a boot doesn't apply to adult weights. Assume I weigh 130 lbs (that varies, but let's go with it), and I like to do half jumps, like waltz jumps. I'm not taking lessons, and not going to be working towards an axel -- never got there as a kid, so I'm not getting there as an adult. I'm just a dancer who just wants to have fun and cross-train. Frequency will really depend entirely on how much I like my skates! One to four times a month if I like them. Once a year if I don't.

Will the Riedell Crystal or Risport Electra allow me to safely land jumps and do basic spins? Or do I have to go to a higher level?

Also, any opinions on Riedell vs. Risport for me? I haven't liked the Jacksons I've tried, they feel too wide and clunky. My big toe is my longest toe. Foot shape is closest to Egyptian, though my second and third toes are pretty much the same length. In my ballet pointe shoe sizes, my feet are slightly on the narrow side of the bell curve (on a scale from 1 to 11 where 1 is narrowest and 11 is widest, I'm at a 5; on a scale from 1 to 6, I'm at a 2.) Risport skates worked well for me as a kid, but not sure if that holds any relevance 30+ years later.

It's not practical for me to ask these questions of a fitter unfortunately, so I appreciate any thoughts people have!

leia1979

Rinkside
It would be best if you could find a shop where you can try them on. Odds are one will be a better fit than the other.

When it comes to Risport, I think you'll find the only width the Electra comes in to be too wide. If you go up to RF3 or Royal Pro, you can get B or even AA width. I'm the same weight as you and just got B width Royal Pros with an MK Pro blade--I'm liking them so far, and I only do single jumps.

I'm not up to speed on the current Riedell offerings. I had Bronze Stars for years in a narrow width and they became too narrow as I got older. Just looking at the description, I think Crystal is on the low side, and I'd look at Motion instead. However, I'll defer to someone more familiar with Riedell these days.

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
It would be best if you could find a shop where you can try them on. Odds are one will be a better fit than the other.

When it comes to Risport, I think you'll find the only width the Electra comes in to be too wide. If you go up to RF3 or Royal Pro, you can get B or even AA width. I'm the same weight as you and just got B width Royal Pros with an MK Pro blade--I'm liking them so far, and I only do single jumps.

I'm not up to speed on the current Riedell offerings. I had Bronze Stars for years in a narrow width and they became too narrow as I got older. Just looking at the description, I think Crystal is on the low side, and I'd look at Motion instead. However, I'll defer to someone more familiar with Riedell these days.
Thanks! Riedell has a good shipping/return policy, so the low end of their competitive line might be where I'll start. I'm in LA so I don't think they have stores with a great deal of inventory from different brands to try on, since it's not a popular adult hobby here. (And my last time getting fitted for skates was a spectacular failure, so I'm gunshy -- I still haven't figured out how skates should feel brand new off the ice, and I'm apparently not able to communicate effectively with fitters lol...I have the same issue with pointe shoe fittings).

But still intrigued by Risport because that's what I used to wear, and I don't remember my boots ever causing issues. Might search more to see if there is a reasonable way to try them.

Then I also have to decide if I'll invest in good blades.... There seems to be a big price jump in blades.

leia1979

Rinkside
I do understand the frustration with bad fitting. I've had my share myself. It seems if I get the right size, they're too big and I need to go a tad smaller.

Skates For Less is in Canoga Park. I buy online from them for accessories. If nothing else, they carry multiple brands, and even trying them on yourself would be better than a blind purchase. They carry Risport, too.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
At 130 and Risport I would try RF3 Pro or Royal Pro, electra won't be stiff enough, esp if you are a ballerina.
With your foot description, look into Graf.

EvangelineRain

Rinkside
I do understand the frustration with bad fitting. I've had my share myself. It seems if I get the right size, they're too big and I need to go a tad smaller.

Skates For Less is in Canoga Park. I buy online from them for accessories. If nothing else, they carry multiple brands, and even trying them on yourself would be better than a blind purchase. They carry Risport, too.
Awesome, thanks for the recommendation!! My budget has grown since yesterday, and I'm now leaning more towards RF3 Pros with MK Pro blades.